How Ed Orgeron outsmarted college football (1 Viewer)

I just don't consider that "outsmarting" someone. You outsmart someone by using intellect to get an advantage. What advantage did Orgeron get by getting other coaches to think he was an idiot? You think Saban eased up on his preparations because he thought Orgeron was stupid? The scores of the last 2 LSU-Bama games suggest otherwise.

Orgeron saw the issues with his offense and brought in Brady to fix it, and he sure as heck did that. Payton didn't "outsmart" the NFL when he hired 3G. He saw a problem and fixed it. Orgeron did the same thing, and good for him.

BTW, I'm the furthest thing from an LSU homer, but it sure is fun to watch them play this year.
Im not saying I agree with his assessment. I was just trying to explain his thought process. Regardless, O and his staff have done a phenomenal job thus far this season.

The only thing that was missing was a QB and somebody who can call a offense all the years, and now we see the results.
I’d argue that it’s possible QB was not the problem at all. We have the same QB we had last year. Yet, there’s still a world of difference. Some if the “terrible” QBs we’ve had we’re top recruits coming out if high school, but seemed to regress at LSU. I think it was our offensive system. QBs were never allowed to get into any kind of rhythm. And the offense wasn’t really set up for optimal passing game.

I don't see how that's "outsmarting" college football. What Orgeron is doing is very similar to what CSP did in '09 when he brought in Gregg Williams. He hired a good coach, gave him the keys, and the rest is history. I wouldn't say he outsmarted the NFL. Instead, the put his ego aside and accepted help on the defensive side of the ball. That sounds like what Orgeron did by hiring Joe Brady.
There saying he lets people. Buy into his all shucks Cajun backwoods personality and believe that he’s not as smart as he really is

He’s “outsmarted” them by letting people believe he’s an idiot. But in reality, he was smart enough to identify his weakness, find the right person to fix it, them simply let them. Most coaches, especially those considered top-notch coaches, won’t do that.
I am an LSU fan and I agree with everything you just said.

well after his previous shots at HC he realized having the talent base at LSU he better find guys to get the most out of them.... and he has picked the right guys.....

Orgeron is no genius, but he knows, lives, and breathes football, he loves LSU, and wants to win.

The best quality a coach can have is, his players will play their hearts out for him. That's O. In today's game, that's all you need, you can hire others to fill in the details.

As the man said, it helps to be humble enough to delegate and take advice from successful staff. It makes for a loyal staff, and they pick up on the lack of ego and selfishness.

Players often get tagged as a me, me, me type. Well, coaches are worse than the players. "Look at me, I'm a big time football coach, so shut up" will only work until people notice it.

Orgeron is no genius, but he knows, lives, and breathes football, he loves LSU, and wants to win.

The best quality a coach can have is, his players will play their hearts out for him. That's O. In today's game, that's all you need, you can hire others to fill in the details.

As the man said, it helps to be humble enough to delegate and take advice from successful staff. It makes for a loyal staff, and they pick up on the lack of ego and selfishness.

Players often get tagged as a me, me, me type. Well, coaches are worse than the players. "Look at me, I'm a big time football coach, so shut up" will only work until people notice it.

Well that is why he is a genius. Football coaches (or Managers) have to be able to identify their weaknesses and hire people who complement those weaknesses. Some of the biggest name coaches can’t or won’t do that. That is what makes him a genius.

Yeah, he didnt outsmart anybody. He's realized his limitations (coaching, speaking in complete sentences) and hired people who can do those things while he plays the mascot. I give him credit for that, though, and knowing himself.
Your buying into the The illusion of what the media portrayed him as. Which is what the whole point of the piece is. . He is much smarter than that. Probably much smarter than a lot of people. You obviously never meet the guy or had a conversation with him. If you did, you would have never made the comment.

Your buying into the The illusion of what the media portrayed him as. Which is what the whole point of the piece is. . He is much smarter than that. Probably much smarter than a lot of people. You obviously never meet the guy or had a conversation with him. If you did, you would have never made the comment.

Correct, I know people who have known Coach O his whole life. The man is very smart. He knows more about football than probably anybody on this board. He is also a very nice guy and players love him and recruits love him. He lives and breathes football. He talks "funny" to some people, some people think that makes him dumb. I have met many people who think like that, I find most of them are kind of dumb. Most of them are some of the same people who thought John Fourcade should play over Bobby Hebert.....geniuses all.

There saying he lets people. Buy into his all shucks Cajun backwoods personality and believe that he’s not as smart as he really is
When you outsmart someone, you’re seeking an advantage. What advantage does O get for letting others think he’s an idiot? The answer is none. I don’t have a problem with what the guy said, and I think LSU’s offensive resurgence is one of the big stories in college football this year. But LSU’ offense isn’t light years better this year because O outsmarted people. It’s because he saw a weakness and addressed it, like a good coach should.

Last edited:
Yeah, he didnt outsmart anybody. He's realized his limitations (coaching, speaking in complete sentences) and hired people who can do those things while he plays the mascot. I give him credit for that, though, and knowing himself.
Why do you say that? He's stupid because he speaks in a way you don't like? Let me rephrase; you disdain? The record and accomplishment that he has made says that he is an excellent coach. Much smarter about football than 100's of head coaches.
Maybe it's you who needs to realize what you are.

Well that is why he is a genius. Football coaches (or Managers) have to be able to identify their weaknesses and hire people who complement those weaknesses. Some of the biggest name coaches can’t or won’t do that. That is what makes him a genius.
No, the biggest name and best coaches (Saban and Urban come to mind) develop their assistants who then get plucked for head coaching jobs themselves because they’re the best in the business. I can think of 10 div 1 coaches from those two coaching trees.
There isn’t an Orgeron coaching tree.

What this guy should take a step further is that the powers-that-be over-hype a mediocre product and stuff it down peoples throats. The next conference shake-up is going to alter college sports as we know it. The dominance of Clemson has absolutely made the ACC no better than the Sunbelt. Why would a player go to any other ACC school knowing he's not winning. Alabama is doing the same to the SEC. Only Georgia and LSU have enough money to hold back the Tide. Does any other school have a chance? Even A&M is marginal at best. When was Florida relevant last? South Carolina? Kentucky? Tennessee? The Big Ten? Ohio State then who? Heck, even Nebraska can't escape their orbit. Big 12? Oklahoma? Then who? With all of the money Texas has they still struggle. Pac-12? I'd say Boise is the most consistent program out there and they aren't even in the PAC-12. Oregon? Sure, bit they don't do much to move the needle now do they.
To level the playing field they should lower scholarships again...to 65. That would make it a much more competitive game and a better product.
I don't really care for college football. I follow my team, because I went to school there. We win. We lose. We beat LSU once but we also scored 48 in Knoxville once and lost. Oh well.

Boy did I just throw up on everybody?

What this guy should take a step further is that the powers-that-be over-hype a mediocre product and stuff it down peoples throats. The next conference shake-up is going to alter college sports as we know it. The dominance of Clemson has absolutely made the ACC no better than the Sunbelt. Why would a player go to any other ACC school knowing he's not winning. Alabama is doing the same to the SEC. Only Georgia and LSU have enough money to hold back the Tide. Does any other school have a chance? Even A&M is marginal at best. When was Florida relevant last? South Carolina? Kentucky? Tennessee? The Big Ten? Ohio State then who? Heck, even Nebraska can't escape their orbit. Big 12? Oklahoma? Then who? With all of the money Texas has they still struggle. Pac-12? I'd say Boise is the most consistent program out there and they aren't even in the PAC-12. Oregon? Sure, bit they don't do much to move the needle now do they.
To level the playing field they should lower scholarships again...to 65. That would make it a much more competitive game and a better product.
I don't really care for college football. I follow my team, because I went to school there. We win. We lose. We beat LSU once but we also scored 48 in Knoxville once and lost. Oh well.

Wow man! If I was a Tennessee fan after Fulmer left I might do drugs too. No offense. Much love brother! Some day it will get better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom