How good can Trequan Smith and Deonte Harris be with Jameis Winston [mod edit] (1 Viewer)

CJL

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Trequan Smith and Dentoe Harris be with Jameis Winston. We can all agree drew lost his ability to throw the ball deep down the field around 2017-2018. How many times did we see harris or smith go down the field and drew simply could not get it to them. I expect big years out of smith amd harris with winston as quarterback anyone agree?

Don't leave Callaway out of the discussion. I think he can be a legit #2. He runs great, precise routes and has amazing control of his body with not much wasted motion. TQS is more physical, athletic, but plays a lot less controlled but can fight for some balls and make some good plays on broken plays.

I think with Hill being more accurate, you would see Callaway and MT being successful from timing routes and tight window throws.

If Winston starts, I think it favors a guy like TQS...think of Brooks to Willie Jackson on a lot of broken plays where their athleticism created a lot of numbers. TQS and Johnson are big, athletic guys and I could see Winston having a field day with them in pinches. Winston has a unique athleticism to get out of some pressures and if extends plays, those types of guys become the "GO TO" and can pull down some 50/50 balls and easy to track downfield.

With Harris, the QB really needs to be able to read pre-snap and safeties. He is fast and get downfield, but he isn't going to fight through physical coverage (so that needs to be read) and if hard to see and read him, he can be assumed open for an INT or not seen at all. It all comes down to the QB's ability to read and "feel" him. He is a small target.

Hopefully. Tre’quan gets bagged on a little too much, but realistically, if he doesn’t have a career year, we’re probably in serious trouble.
Honestly, I don’t think TQS is a good receiver. I have never been impressed with him at all. Maybe, once he made a catch and I said “oh that was a nice catch”, other than that, nothing

I think you will see what was missing in terms of attacking all sides of the field with Winston under center. I don't think this offense I going to look any different than any other year.

Payton plays to strength of his quarterback.

Last edited:
Harris is definitely a deep threat but I worry he will stay banged up if he’s utilized more in the passing game. Hopefully TQS can shine a bit too, more than he already does with his blocking ability.

It will be fun to watch Winston air it out to all of the guys, as that element of our offense has been MIA for the last couple of seasons imo.

Harris is definitely a deep threat but I worry he will stay banged up if he’s utilized more in the passing game. Hopefully TQS can shine a bit too, more than he already does with his blocking ability.

It will be fun to watch Winston air it out to all of the guys, as that element of our offense has been MIA for the last couple of seasons imo.
Along with taking his share of beatings as a PR/KR jus look how Deonte was used on O last year. Many of his plays were either end arounds r short hitches. Both induced even more hits on him!

This year, with Winston at QB, I look for Deonte to go downfield more. Put him at the X spot in a 3 WR set, about 5 yds r so from the sideline to give him a lil “wiggle room”, n let the young man go to work!

We gonna have to create a whole new board for all these Saints fans that need emotional counseling after Winston loses this job to Taysom...

We have a thread like this everyday... and the competition to see who wins the job has not even started yet...

The coming meltdown will be one for the record books... Like "Aaron Brooks backward pass" vs "Jake Delhomme should have been starting" levels...

I can't wait!

PS - Winston has a big arm - But that same arm that looks great when he's accurate half the time, is the same thing that got him kicked out of Tampa :

Topic:

Harris is too small to be a full time WR in the NFL... and TQS is too inconsistent to be anything more than a role player that shows up 3 times a year and plays up to his talent.

Last edited:
They both have to be on the field to be good. Being hurt on the sidelines doesn't help their cause. If Smith doesn't have a career year he's out the door after this season. Harris will stick around because of his punt / kickoff return abilities.

I expect Taysom Hill to make significant progress in timing his throws and letting it rip just before the WR breaks open (instead of just after). That really hurt Hill on a lot of his deep shots (or deep shot opportunities).. especially to Deonte Harris.
It’s something that comes with experience, so I’m very confident Hill makes the necessary adjustments.

If CSP is sending TQS, Harris, or Callaway deep... and Hill makes them all legitimate threats to go over the top... then that opens up the underneath zones for other guys, and also gives Hill more running room should he decide to tuck-and-run.

I feel like both TQS and Harris will be utilized into more medium and deep route roles that fits their abilities. The last 2-3 years I feel like Drew lost confidence in himself especially on the deep throws. I don’t know if it was because of lack of strength to get it there or what but we can all agree that something wasn’t right and it showed on the field. With both Winston and Hill possessing the ability to launch deep throws I feel we will see a lot more intermediate throws (15-25 yards) and some play action bombs.

We gonna have to create a whole new board for all these Saints fans that need emotional counseling after Winston loses this job to Taysom...

We have a thread like this everyday... and the competition to see who wins the job has not even started yet...

The coming meltdown will be one for the record books... Like "Aaron Brooks backward pass" vs "Jake Delhomme should have been starting" levels...

I can't wait!

PS - Winston has a big arm - But that same arm that looks great when he's accurate half the time, is the same thing that got him kicked out of Tampa :

Topic:

Harris is too small to be a full time WR in the NFL... and TQS is too inconsistent to be anything more than a role player that shows up 3 times a year and plays up to his talent.
The most probable outcome

They both suck at QB and we really should be more comfortable with this happening.

Last edited:
You guys are acting like all of a sudden we are going to be the run and shoot offense with Winston. I can’t believe how quickly you guys forget the type of O Payton runs. We won’t throw the deep ball more than 3 or 4 times a game and even that will be a lot. This offense has always been based on completion percentage rather than deep ball. Winston won’t last long throwing the ball down the field. We need extreme accuracy 25 yards an in for this team to be great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom