How good can Trequan Smith and Deonte Harris be with Jameis Winston [mod edit] (1 Viewer)

Seeing guys like you and Groovepro… vets of the forum, remind me that I’m not crazy and this isn’t some bizzaro-world where Winston is the stud most of these folks make him out to be! Thank you!

This guy was a total joke until he donned the FDL.
Don't get me wrong, I really hope he isn't that guy. I really hope he was humbled by the experience in Tampa and is sincere about work ethic, dedication and being the "CEO" of the Saints offense. More importantly, if he does come in and has success, I hope that he remembers that work ethic and humility that put him in the position to succeed and doesn't instantly revert back to the guy in Tampa at first glimpse of success.

It isn't fixing his eyesight that will change Winston's game, that is some fairytale fantasy crap. It will be his attitude and mentality that will be the catalyst of change.

Quite frankly, he has done nothing in his career to deserve the benefit of the doubt and he is going to have to prove it on the field. Ironically, my expectations are quite low for this season so I wont be calling for his head after a bad game and I'm intrigued to see what he can do so I'll probably be willing to give him more of a chance than the people in the blinders expecting him to look like an all time great out the door. May sound crazy but many of the people singing this song are the same ones that were happy to show and actual all time great the door.

I'm also not that high on Hill. Love him for what he is but he's just too old to be a franchise QB with his style of play. Running QB's usually don't make it to see 30 in the league and he is trying to start his QB career after that age. I mean, it's possible he puts it all together as something he has never been, a pocket passer, but the odds are just so far out there it's unreasonable to expect it.

The rookie is going to be a rookie and is the type of player that will need several years of experience. He isn't the type of player that can let his talent overcome the mental aspect of the game. It's the mental aspect that he has to craft to overcome some of his shortfalls in talent. I think he can be the guy eventually but odds are he wont.

Between the 3, I think we have 3 shots on goal to find a long term solution at QB. I'd say those 3 shots on goal have about a 50% chance of landing a future (next 3 years) top 10 QB in the league. and about a 10% chance of something really special with most of those odds falling in Winston's favor. That's about the same odds as drafting a QB in the top 5 of the draft, a luxury we do not have. We are simply working within our means to find a QB but one of the benefits is that with those odds between the 3, we also have depth at the position.

It's really pretty simple but many fans are just not willing to accept the reality of the situation. In all honesty, it's not a bad reality, it's a fairly common one that many teams have found themselves in repeatedly for decades. It's why the top QB's get paid huge amounts of money.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I really hope he isn't that guy. I really hope he was humbled by the experience in Tampa and is sincere about work ethic, dedication and being the "CEO" of the Saints offense. More importantly, if he does come in and have success, I hope that he remembers that work ethic and humility that put him in the position to succeed and doesn't instantly revert back to the guy in Tampa at first glimpse of success.

It isn't fixing his eyesight that will change Winston's game, that is some fairytale fantasy crap. It will be his attitude and mentality that will be the catalyst of change.

Quite frankly, he has done nothing in his career to deserve the benefit of the doubt and he is going to have to prove it on the field. Ironically, my expectations are quite low for this season so I wont be calling for his head after a bad game and I'm intrigued to see what he can do so I'll probably be willing to give him more of a chance than the people in the blinders expecting him to look like an all time great out the door. May sound crazy but many of the people singing this song are the same ones that were happy to show and actual all time great the door.

I'm also not that high on Hill. Love him for what he is but he's just too old to be a franchise QB with his style of play. Running QB's usually don't make it to see 30 in the league and he is trying to start his QB career after that age. I mean, it's possible he puts it all together as something he has never been, a pocket passer, but the odds are just so far out there it's unreasonable to expect it.

The rookie is going to be a rookie and is the type of player that will need several years of experience. He isn't the type of player that can let his talent overcome the mental aspect of the game. It's the mental aspect that he has to craft to overcome some of his shortfalls in talent. I think he can be the guy eventually but odds are he wont.

Between the 3, I think we have 3 shots on goal to find a long term solution at QB. I'd say those 3 shots on goal have about a 50% chance of landing a future (next 3 years) top 10 QB in the league. and about a 10% chance of something really special with most of those odds falling in Winston's favor. That's about the same odds as drafting a QB in the top 5 of the draft, a luxury we do not have. We are simply working within our means to find a QB but one of the benefits is that with those odds between the 3, we also have depth at the position.

It's really pretty simple but many fans are just not willing to accept the reality of the situation. In all honesty, it's not a bad reality, it's a fairly common one that many teams have found themselves in repeatedly for decades. It's why the top QB's get paid huge amounts of money.
Nicely put. I agree on a lot of those topics. I agree with Hill and his type style of play in regard to injury, but at least with Hill he hasn't been pounding like this for 9 years in the league, so that at least knocks his body age down a tad. Most know my pros/cons dealing with Hill/Winston and pros/cons of Book, so no need to regurgitate any of that...LOL.

It is not a bad place to be, you are right. We have a chance at all 3 providing some semblance of production, if not MORE than that, but at LEAST managing the O and making plays.. We will have bad games, but every QB has bad games...even the great #9. ...AND we have a chance of cream rising to top of someone, including the rookie, during and over a span of time. Heck, if Seimian cleans up some things and still on the team, I could see him being "Bridgewater-esque" if our D holds down the fort. If anyone becomes very serviceable and doesn't LOSE games, it buys us time for cleaning up money for a name FA or developing drafted QB's down the road.

I think I have more optimism in this season than most do, even with not knowing who will be at QB. CSP will at least show again, even possibly under duress, that he is one of the best.

I appreciate that… FTR, I don’t think Winston is some talent-less bum… I think he’s a bad guy. There’s really nothing that is going to change that either. The guy has been “accused” of sexual misconduct multiple times… and none of those allegations have been disproven. He just paid them off.

I don’t really care how great his talent is, that makes me, not a fan.

As a parallel, I’m a die-hard Blackhawks fan… but I think Patrick Kane is a dirtbag, and I’m not a fan of his… is he very talented. YES. …but he’s also a dirtbag that was elevated by Toews (the CAPTAIN) when they won their Cups)… among others. I love the Hawks, but I will NEVER be a fan of Kane.

No matter what happens… the same will be true for Winston (only it may be worse, because Winston is a sexual predator, and that is worse than abusing a cab driver and being an overall d**k.
I think we're all on the same page that he's probably not the best dude. Do I feel great about the idea of him being the starting QB for my team? No. No I don't. We just had a decade and a half of having one of the best QBs to ever play the game on the field and a great human being off the field. We had the perfect face of the franchise. Now we have...Jameis Winston. That's a weird deal.

As fans we've been put in an awkward spot. I want Winston to succeed to help the Saints win games but at the same time I think the guy is suspect as a person.

Trequan Smith and Dentoe Harris be with Jameis Winston. We can all agree drew lost his ability to throw the ball deep down the field around 2017-2018. How many times did we see harris or smith go down the field and drew simply could not get it to them. I expect big years out of smith amd harris with winston as quarterback anyone agree?
I think Trequan and Winston will be a much better match than Trequan and Brees were. Just like Michael Thomas will prove a much better match with Drew than he will with Jameis IMO. Hopefully both will be good to very good as opposed to great(MT) and not very good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom