How good is Loomis? (Regarding projected future cap space) (1 Viewer)

NawlinSaints

Who Dat Junkie
Reaction score
Florio had an interesting little article yesterday that really made me start thinking about Loomis' long-term salary cap plans. From the outside, to me it seems like he keeps pushing off salary cap problems to later years, at which point it would seem like it will come back and bite us. I always had it in the back of my head that the salary cap was supposed to be spiking quite a bit once the new money started coming in from TV deals, but maybe that isn't so.

If that was Loomis' plan and the expected extra cap room doesn't materialize, I'm starting to worry what this will do to our roster a few years down the line.

Salary cap spike not expected this year, or any year | ProFootballTalk

Plenty of teams are in this situation. We might have point in the future where we have to go through a rebuilding period but it is what it is.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Loomis is very good at what he does. When you have a quarterback like Brees you have to be aggressive with the rest of your cap.

There will obviously be a point in time down the road where we will have to eat the results of this for a year or two. Hopefully Loomis is able to juggle it until Brees retires, at which point eating the cap won't matter because we will be shedding salaries and retooling anyway. Until Loomis proves me wrong, I trust that he has this under control and has a plan.

It's not like the Saints don't currently have dead money counting against their cap from prior years, so it's not like they're pushing everything back to where at some point they can't sign anyone. The team will always have dead money counting against the cap.

The only difference right now is that players were getting used to mega-contract increases every year due to the salary cap constantly increasing every year. Now, the new CBA has slowed that down, yet players still think they should be the highest paid every single year.

I believe Loomis is in the mind set of winning now with Brees while we have him. When it comes to the future cap, I still trust Loomis to make it happen.

How good? One of the top in the League. That is where he hung his skins. In fact, I was worried when he took over as GM because he is so good at contracts - not so any more since we have a Head Coach both capable and empowered with making most of the other decisions. As long as every team is playing by the same rules, I like our chances with Loomis. We see him pull it off year after year because that is the part that he loves to do.

Every time when you have a Cadillac offense, its money is siphoned from the defensive side....hence the Saints defense is mostly underfunded. It happens with the other teams as well, who have to fork out the big money to their star players.

The remedy for that, is having great talent evaluators, who also happen to be great teachers. Its not enough just finding new talent/......they must be developed also. It is very hard, almost impossible to achieve that. There is a constant war against parity and nature, which balances things out naturally. So, if a team is good at one end, that team most probably is below average in the other end. The Saints are no exceptions. Every team is pretty much in the same boat. That's why is almost impossible to repeat as SB Champs.

But gathering much needed talent requires to have the best talent evaluators at the below average side of the ball. So with the Saints on defense, they must have FO people & coaches who spot talent in the later rounds, or even in the UFA market. That in itself would be good enough to put the Saints back in the SB hunt. First, scouts must find players who are not only fit the scheme, but also are overlooked by other teams, so they once fall out of the first 3 rds, can be discovered on the later rounds. Or find them in the UFA market. This was probably the biggest reason Sean Payton is so good.....he did managed to find the gem in the rough, PT, C Ivory, J Evans, C Nicks, Colston and even Bushrod are the prime example how a good talent evaluator can turn things around at least on one side of the ball.

Now is the time to concentrate on the other side of the ball as well. Lots have been made out that the Saints defensive players have not enough talent.....and that is true to some extent. But probably the bigger problem is the development of these players Its not enough to draft a player in the 1st rd.....that player will not pan out if he isn't developed properly. So having the right coaches around is every bit as important that finding the talented players. The Saints historically never had great teachers who could properly develop defensive players, since the Dome Patrol days. I sure hopw they bring in coaches who can fix this problem.

Loomis is a very good GM, who is listening to his coaches. But being in cap hell is not the end of the world. The Saints could......at least theoretically turn things around on defense in one year. Get 1, or 2 FAs who are starters, and draft at least 3 more starter caliber players on defense. Then raid the UFA market after the draft. Who knows.... if they hit the jackpot, they could be a top 5 defense next year. One thing we do know......whatever was done till now...it didn't work, and plenty of high salaries were wasted on marginal talent. Its time to change that.

with the way loomis is doing business he is going to absorb so much cap penalties for cutting biggish contracts this year that we should reset pretty well after this year (with a pretty barren roster on defense though)

Every time when you have a Cadillac offense, its money is siphoned from the defensive side....hence the Saints defense is mostly underfunded. It happens with the other teams as well, who have to fork out the big money to their star players.

The remedy for that, is having great talent evaluators, who also happen to be great teachers. Its not enough just finding new talent/......they must be developed also. It is very hard, almost impossible to achieve that. There is a constant war against parity and nature, which balances things out naturally. So, if a team is good at one end, that team most probably is below average in the other end. The Saints are no exceptions. Every team is pretty much in the same boat. That's why is almost impossible to repeat as SB Champs.

But gathering much needed talent requires to have the best talent evaluators at the below average side of the ball. So with the Saints on defense, they must have FO people & coaches who spot talent in the later rounds, or even in the UFA market. That in itself would be good enough to put the Saints back in the SB hunt. First, scouts must find players who are not only fit the scheme, but also are overlooked by other teams, so they once fall out of the first 3 rds, can be discovered on the later rounds. Or find them in the UFA market. This was probably the biggest reason Sean Payton is so good.....he did managed to find the gem in the rough, PT, C Ivory, J Evans, C Nicks, Colston and even Bushrod are the prime example how a good talent evaluator can turn things around at least on one side of the ball.

Now is the time to concentrate on the other side of the ball as well. Lots have been made out that the Saints defensive players have not enough talent.....and that is true to some extent. But probably the bigger problem is the development of these players Its not enough to draft a player in the 1st rd.....that player will not pan out if he isn't developed properly. So having the right coaches around is every bit as important that finding the talented players. The Saints historically never had great teachers who could properly develop defensive players, since the Dome Patrol days. I sure hopw they bring in coaches who can fix this problem.

Loomis is a very good GM, who is listening to his coaches. But being in cap hell is not the end of the world. The Saints could......at least theoretically turn things around on defense in one year. Get 1, or 2 FAs who are starters, and draft at least 3 more starter caliber players on defense. Then raid the UFA market after the draft. Who knows.... if they hit the jackpot, they could be a top 5 defense next year. One thing we do know......whatever was done till now...it didn't work, and plenty of high salaries were wasted on marginal talent. Its time to change that.

The idea that our offense is so expensive that it destroys our chances for a good defense is a myth that has been debunked many times on this forum. In the 2012-13 season, our defensive unit cost $800k more than our offensive unit. That's why you have so many people screaming when posters suggest that we keep some of our old, slow, and expensive defensive players...we are paying them a fortune but getting very little production from them.

Check out the distribution yourself: NFL salaries by team and position

Good thread by the OP.

Think back to when we got Sharper. Name one person who predicted that he would have the monster Defensive MVP season that he had (...Final Jeopardy music is playing n the background).

NOBODY

There are some veterans who get even BETTER after a trade; others do not.

Joe Horn - yes (from KC to NO)
J. Vilma - no (...he's been about the same, but not better)
Brees - hail to the yes
Meachem - uhh... no

The point is: It's a risk, and sometimes it's the system that a player gets into. It also takes a shrewd football mind (and sometimes a little luck) to get the right player who will help your team take it up a notch.

Overall, I trust Loomis & Co.

:gosaints:

We currently have one of the lowest dead money figures in the league. So as guys are cut that will of course grow, but we won't be starting out in such a bad spot.

I trust Loomis.

If we do have a rebuilding year, we keep pushing things back until Brees retires and spend one year eating dead money and losing before drafting a new franchise qb.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom