How good is Loomis? (Regarding projected future cap space) (1 Viewer)

The idea that our offense is so expensive that it destroys our chances for a good defense is a myth that has been debunked many times on this forum. In the 2012-13 season, our defensive unit cost $800k more than our offensive unit. That's why you have so many people screaming when posters suggest that we keep some of our old, slow, and expensive defensive players...we are paying them a fortune but getting very little production from them.

Check out the distribution yourself: NFL salaries by team and position

This....i laugh everytime i see it. Not only do we spend big money on D but also invest high picks. Meanwhile our O is littered with late rounders and cast offs.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

This....i laugh everytime i see it. Not only do we spend big money on D but also invest high picks. Meanwhile our O is littered with late rounders and cast offs.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Yep, sad but true. It speaks to how brilliant SP is as an offensive mind as well as how lacking he is in both understanding and hiring defensive help on his staff. It's perhaps no coincidence that we've had mostly the same position coaches last through all of these coordinators and the results haven't changed much.

The idea that our offense is so expensive that it destroys our chances for a good defense is a myth that has been debunked many times on this forum. In the 2012-13 season, our defensive unit cost $800k more than our offensive unit. That's why you have so many people screaming when posters suggest that we keep some of our old, slow, and expensive defensive players...we are paying them a fortune but getting very little production from them.

Check out the distribution yourself: NFL salaries by team and position

Its funny how they listing Drew Brees at $10mil......when in fact he signed a $100mil contract for 5 years. That's 20mil/year....not $10, as they claim. Sure, some of the money was paid up-front....like $60mill as a bonus.....but in the end it will come down to $20mil/year....after all is spread out.....

or.... do you really think the Saints will cut Brees so they save some of that money later? If you add up all the money, the offense is paid over $9mil more than the D.

But you're right in one aspect. The defensive players made a ton of money too, and I'm not denying that. Too much in fact, based on their production.... I said that at the end of my post. At least the Saints offense was worth paying that money.....the defense is yet to justify their high salaries.

Yet the money aspect of my post is minor, compared to the production aspect of the Saints defense. And the Saints D is bad for a long time, not just this last year. There are fundamental reasons why that is the case, and money isn't part of it. That was the meat of my post. The fact is, the problem is not only talent evaluation....but development of that talent. Some players were drafted by the Saints FO.....only to let the player go, b/c no one knew how to develop that player. I'm specifically talking about Rob Ninkovitch, who was talented no doubt.....yet we cut him b/c Gary Gibbs had no idea how to utilize his talent. Funny thing is....he went to Miami, and they couldn't make it work either. Only when he ended up in Boston finally Bill Belichick realized what he had, and now he is one of the better defensive players on the Pats team. That is the problem I'm talking about.

Its funny how they listing Drew Brees at $10mil......when in fact he signed a $100mil contract for 5 years. That's 20mil/year....not $10, as they claim.

Money against the cap or just salary.

Money against the cap or just salary.

Money against the cap is just a gimmick. Its nothing more than an accounting device in order to spread it out for the length of the contract.

But the fact is.....Drew Brees got $60mil signing bonus last year. So in effect, Drew Brees got paid more last year that the whole Saints defense combined!.....And that was just bonus money only! On top of that he also had his salary.

Money against the cap is just a gimmick. Its nothing more than an accounting device in order to spread it out for the length of the contract.

But the fact is.....Drew Brees got $60mil signing bonus last year. So in effect, Drew Brees got paid more last year that the whole Saints defense combined!.....And that was just bonus money only! On top of that he also had his salary.

And?

Its funny how they listing Drew Brees at $10mil......when in fact he signed a $100mil contract for 5 years. That's 20mil/year....not $10, as they claim. Sure, some of the money was paid up-front....like $60mill as a bonus.....but in the end it will come down to $20mil/year....after all is spread out.....

mvmhbo.jpg

the salary cap is flat for this year and last, next year it will grow, just makes sense to push back till we have more room

Super Bowl > rebuilding a year or two.

If the odds were that a deep, complicated salary cap situation would give you more chances to get into the Superbowl, that would be a good deal. But that is not the situation.

Reality of the matter is that the playoffs are a crapshot, few times the favorites, even the best team of the season, get into the Superbowl.

The reality of the matter is that you have more chances to get to the big game when you get into the playoffs year in and out. For that, you need a team that is constantly competitive.

I think that if you have a relatively comfortable cap situation, and draft choices, gives you the flexibility to keep competitive, to substitute players that are due to a big contract, keeping your team young.

Going towards the draft with no current deals gives you depth for years to come, and that is what we should be striving for.

Getting Drew to a contract was the logical choice, no doubt about it. Giving big contracts to Jimmy Graham, who is young and hitting his prime it is a no contest situation. Giving backloaded contracts or renegoting heavily loaded contracts to veterans, it is not the way to go.

Of course Loomis should push it back. When Brees quits playing, of course there will be a year of cap ****. Of course I'd rather have that than losing a key piece of the team.

Pretty damn good.

People fixate on salary cap space, but that's the wrong way to look. We shouldnt be building via free agency. It's ineffective at best, often destructive. The ability to sign top tier free agents, often times, is just the ability to make costly long term mistakes.

Generally, if you have the cap space to retain your building block draft picks and add a couple of stop gaps via free agency, you're effectively managing your cap.

Given that the only free agent of real substance we've ever lost was Carl Nicks, and we consistently add at least a couple of players we hope will compete for starting spots (whether they do or not is a different question...) suggests we are managing our cap effectively.

If I had any criticism of Loomis, it's his propensity to trade up in the draft. That's it. He's clearly got our cap under control.

By the way, people are overly fixating on the idea that we're pushing huge amounts of money back. We're not, and won't be.

Loftons cap number increases by only 1.25 million year the next 4 years. It's not like there is some cap boogie man out there waiting to get us.

Put it like this. If we cut Will Smith he costs us $6 million this year, but the cap savings is $10 mil ($16 mil cap figure, $10 mil off the books, $6 mil remains).

What this means is with a couple more restructurings and cutting Wll Smith, we're under the cap this year. And when Will Smiths final $6 million comes off the books after this year the other restructurings are effectively paid for.

It's just not that big a deal =\ do you guys really not believe Loomis has some giant spreadsheet outlining this stuff to a T? None of this is a surprise and not only does the plan of action for dealing with this year exist, a precise plan of action exists for years 2. 3, 4, and 5.

Yet the money aspect of my post is minor, .

But it wasn't. The money aspect was the point of your post. If you meant otherwise you did an incredibly awful job of expressing your thoughts. Let me quote your first sentence,

Every time when you have a Cadillac offense, its money is siphoned from the defensive side

That's what we call a "thesis statement". It's suggests the entire point of your post is that anytime you have a good offense it takes money away for the defense, implying that that hamstrings the defense.

Which of course is patently absurd. Not just more money has been devoted to the defense, but more free agent signings and more draft picks. Your post was therefore completely divorced from reality.

I can only recommend rephrasing, maybe typing words that you actually mean instead of typing things and then claiming that's not what you meant after the fact,

Just friendly advice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom