How good is this 2020 Defense (1 Viewer)

v12whodat

Rookie
Reaction score
This is a pretty interesting video, comparing all of the best Saints defense. From the great Dome Patrol, the 2000 Saints defense, and all the way down to the current 2020 defense.

The Chiefs game is going to tell us what this team is defensively. I know they won't be able to stop KC entirely, but if they can slow them down then we probably have something real going on.
Mahomes has been held under 23 points only once in 47 NFL starts.

There is our challenge.

2017, 2018, 2019, 2020. How would y'all rank these defenses during our 4 seasons in a row with winning records?

I would have to go with:
1. 2020
2. 2018
3. 2017
4. 2019

Sort of went with on field performance and not roster talent. 2019 seemed like a bit of a down year to me compared to the rest. The OT drive vs Minny in 2019 was worse than the Minny Miracle in the 2017 season which was a fluke.

I do not believe that the 2020 defense belongs among the top 3-4 defenses in Saints history, maybe at no. 5. Too early to tell as especially the Broncos game is an anomaly that should be taken out statistically.

Rankings in recent years

1. 2020 (by far so far. Not even close)
2. 2017
3. 2018
4 2019

The Saints 2020 defense is so good, it's not an automatic first down on 3rd and long.

The Saints 2020 defense is so good, it's not an automatic win for a rookie QB.

The Saints 2020 defense is so good, it's not an automatic holding penalty for an automatic first down in every critical situation.

The Saints 2020 defense is so good, it's not an automatic first down on 3rd and long.

The Saints 2020 defense is so good, it's not an automatic win for a rookie QB.

The Saints 2020 defense is so good, it's not an automatic holding penalty for an automatic first down in every critical situation.

So good, that this defense gave up an average of 10.3 ppg in November.

The run defense is something to behold
Been good for a while now but seems to get better and better, a combination of speed and great tackling
Cannot wait to see how we do against the Chiefs, if we can limit arguably the best QB in the league then we are unstoppable

So good, that this defense gave up an average of 10.3 ppg in November.
Yes, and its only that high because there were 5 games in November so the 23 pt Bears game is included.

The last 4 games have been the best defensive stretch that I can recall without looking it up to test my memory.

85 bears good...
Bears defense was part of a NFC championship team that lost 1 game. They were also Super Bowl champions. The fact the Saints already have 2 loses kills your comparison, before the season is even done! No comparison.

Yes, and its only that high because there were 5 games in November so the 23 pt Bears game is included.

The last 4 games have been the best defensive stretch that I can recall without looking it up to test my memory.

Sans the bears game, that would bring the average down to 7 ppg. That is just mind boggling.

Sans the bears game, that would bring the average down to 7 ppg. That is just mind boggling.
Only the 91 Saints team has done better over a 4 game stretch, giving up 19 points (vs our current 28). They actually had a 5 game stretch yielding only 26 points and a 6 game stretch of 36 points.

Mahomes has been held under 23 points only once in 47 NFL starts.

There is our challenge.
Don't sweat it. A few days before our matchup with them in the Dome, I'm going to photoshop a few photos of Mahomes and Armstead embracing without masks and emailing them to Goodell.

Anyone got any good photos of KC's backup QBs just to cover all my bases? :melike:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom