How high does the Heisman winner go? (1 Viewer)

My wife works with DeVonta’s mom (for the moment) lol. 💰
I worked closely with athletics when i worked at Southeastern. Robert Alford was playing college ball there then. He went to the falcons. Oh how i pray “Smitty” doesn’t become a falcon.

I think The Eagles might off Wentz and their pick to Jags or \jets to get one of the QB's out there

No Way Hurts is your franchise guy and Wentz wants out...Jags or Jets get a QB and only move down a few spots

Miami need the O line at 3 so Smith might go to The Bengals at 5 as AJ Green is all but done and a WR room including Smith / Tyler Boyd / Auden Tate & T Higgins would be as good as any in the NFL for Burrow to throw to...Boyd is the best WR nobody talks about and Tate could be awesome once given more playing time

Smith to The Bengals for me

Jags and Jets arent trading out. Not for anything less than a kings ransom. Certainly not for a beat up Wenz with a massive contract. He has a cap hit of over 30m for each of the next four years.

Jags and Jets arent trading out. Not for anything less than a kings ransom. Certainly not for a beat up Wenz with a massive contract. He has a cap hit of over 30m for each of the next four years.
If the new Jets coach likes Darnold he will 100% want to trade out and collect more picks as they need so much help..

They have more holes that a tramps T shirt so need every pick they can muster

I am not even sure Miami want to continue with Tue who for me was just as bad a pick as Haskins especially when Herbert was still there, Tua will be out of Miami within 2 years...quote me on it...he is NOT an NFL QB

Are you aware that Justin Jefferson caught for 1400 yards in the NFL as a rookie and Jerry Jeudy very nearly posted 900?

Yeah, I was playing around. But it is true, the SEC is not a defensive league anymore.

I dont understand your reasoning.

The two highest drafted weren't the most productive player in college football the year before. Jefferson had a better 2019 season than both Ruggs and Juedy and ended up performing better as a rookie too.

Smith is the most productive player in college and in the SEC where both Chase and Jefferson dominated but you place him behind Chase?

And Jones has a higher qb rating than Burrow but you wouldn't touch him?
College production for a QB & WR is tough to translate to the NFL. Jefferson had a better year (college & pro) than both Ruggs & Juedy but both were drafted ahead of him. Why? How many tough catches in traffic has Smith made? He made a few spectacular catches but how many tough? Chase made one on one in traffic catches every game last year. That's why he had nothing else to prove. I think Chase is the better pro prospect. Mac Jones is a product of the offensive system & talent at Bama. I feel the same way about QBs that come out of the Urban Meyer (OSU & UF) offensive system. Justin Fields is a talent I just don't know about his future as a QB. There isn't really a right or wrong answer to this. I could be completely wrong. It is just my personal evaluation.

College production for a QB & WR is tough to translate to the NFL. Jefferson had a better year (college & pro) than both Ruggs & Juedy but both were drafted ahead of him. Why? How many tough catches in traffic has Smith made? He made a few spectacular catches but how many tough? Chase made one on one in traffic catches every game last year. That's why he had nothing else to prove. I think Chase is the better pro prospect. Mac Jones is a product of the offensive system & talent at Bama. I feel the same way about QBs that come out of the Urban Meyer (OSU & UF) offensive system. Justin Fields is a talent I just don't know about his future as a QB. There isn't really a right or wrong answer to this. I could be completely wrong. It is just my personal evaluation.

There is a right and wrong answer when discussing facts.

People track these stats for a living for a reason.

"LSU‘s Ja’Marr Chase broke just about every record in the book last year when isolating wide receiver performance against single coverage, yet Smith is demolishing those records. The Crimson Tide star has generated an explosive reception of 15-plus yards on 46% of his targets against single coverage, the best rate we have recorded since we began tracking single coverage data three years ago"

"Smith came back to ‘Bama for his senior campaign to add more muscle to his 175-pound frame, but that doesn’t mean he can’t win in contested situations. He attacks the football in the air and has great body control, which led to him catching seven of his 12 contested targets. More often than not, though, he generated separation with his elite speed and crisp route-running — then he'd carve up defenses in an open field. Smith is incredibly shifty on his breaks and especially at the line, which shined when going up against press coverage. As a matter of fact, no receiver produced a higher raw grade against press in 2019. Smith averaged 29.7 yards per reception against press, which is nearly seven yards more than any returning wide receiver. He also gathered 4.3 yards per route run against press, a half yard more than any other returning Power-5 wide receiver.

As dangerous as Smith is in an open field, his teammate Waddle is the definition of a game-wrecker when he has no one around him. Coming out of high school, Waddle clocked a 40 time at 4.37 seconds. That’s absurd for a guy who has yet to step foot on the collegiate field. He made defenses look silly on screen plays, as he averaged over 22 yards after catch per reception on 10 screens in 2019. Overall, no receiver generated more yards after catch per reception than Waddle at 12.2, and he also tacked on an impressive eight broken tackles on 33 catches.

Over the last two years, Waddle ranks first in percentage of targets resulting in an explosive play of 15-plus yards at 33%, and Smith is tight behind him at 33.9%."

Last edited:
What's more is that you don't want a wr to have to resort to catching passes in tight coverage to make a play.

The fact that Smith beats the press more easily and gets more separation from tight coverage than Chase is a great thing not a bad one.

The Smith v Chase argument is pretty moot IMO. They are very similar and amazingly well rounded WRs. I like Chase vertically a touch more and I think Smith separates at the LOS slightly better with more short area quickness. I can’t remember a time when the top two WRs in a class were so similar at this elite of a level.

It could essentially be Marvin Harrison v Reggie Wayne. There’s no drop off from a do it all talent at the same size, to another. Both top 10 picks and top 5 players in the class IMO. Career performance will probably depend on QB.

And as for Mac Jones being a "product of the system and talent of Alabama" hopefully this will put such silly notions to rest.:dedhrse:

The kid is just deadly accurate🏹🏹🏹🎯🎯🎯:

"It seemed virtually impossible that we would ever see another quarterback challenge Burrow’s accuracy records, yet Jones has done just that.

The Bama quarterback has thrown an uncatchable ball on just 18.7% of his 10-plus-yard passes, which is over four percentage points better than any other Power 5 quarterback since we began charting QB accuracy and ball location back in 2018.

Further cementing his place at the top is Jones' ability to limit negative plays. One of the most important and stable statistical measures to quarterback play is negatively graded throw rate, and there hasn’t been a better quarterback in that metric this season than the Crimson Tide passer. Not only does he lead all quarterbacks in negatively graded play rate this year, but he also leads every single QB of the PFF College era.

And all of this success isn’t entirely because he has open throw after open throw. He's actually thrown into a tight window on 15.2% of his passes this season, a rate that is about four percentage points higher than Tagovailoa's last season and is nearly double that of Justin Fields (8.3%) this year. Oh, and Jones has also been the most accurate passer on tight-window throws this season — by a large margin."

So turns out that Mac Jones makes the least mistakes and is the most accurate of the PFF era in addition to being the most accurate of all draft eligible qbs this year including Mr "can't-miss franchise" Trevor Lawrence.

Cue someone casually dismissing Jones again because he played at Alabama with the hiesman winner in 3.....2.....1.

There is a right and wrong answer when discussing facts.

People track these stats for a living for a reason.

"LSU‘s Ja’Marr Chase broke just about every record in the book last year when isolating wide receiver performance against single coverage, yet Smith is demolishing those records. The Crimson Tide star has generated an explosive reception of 15-plus yards on 46% of his targets against single coverage, the best rate we have recorded since we began tracking single coverage data three years ago"

"Smith came back to ‘Bama for his senior campaign to add more muscle to his 175-pound frame, but that doesn’t mean he can’t win in contested situations. He attacks the football in the air and has great body control, which led to him catching seven of his 12 contested targets. More often than not, though, he generated separation with his elite speed and crisp route-running — then he'd carve up defenses in an open field. Smith is incredibly shifty on his breaks and especially at the line, which shined when going up against press coverage. As a matter of fact, no receiver produced a higher raw grade against press in 2019. Smith averaged 29.7 yards per reception against press, which is nearly seven yards more than any returning wide receiver. He also gathered 4.3 yards per route run against press, a half yard more than any other returning Power-5 wide receiver.

As dangerous as Smith is in an open field, his teammate Waddle is the definition of a game-wrecker when he has no one around him. Coming out of high school, Waddle clocked a 40 time at 4.37 seconds. That’s absurd for a guy who has yet to step foot on the collegiate field. He made defenses look silly on screen plays, as he averaged over 22 yards after catch per reception on 10 screens in 2019. Overall, no receiver generated more yards after catch per reception than Waddle at 12.2, and he also tacked on an impressive eight broken tackles on 33 catches.

Over the last two years, Waddle ranks first in percentage of targets resulting in an explosive play of 15-plus yards at 33%, and Smith is tight behind him at 33.9%."

I'm curious to what he actually weighs now. I looked through 20 years of top 25 WR in receiving yards and nobody was 6'1"/175lbs which puts him in the 2.4 relative body size. There hasn't been a WR that slim be productive as the average is still over 2.7+. However, the production is crazy. I remember people saying Moss was thin and he was, but he he still had a lot more RBS than Smith. With that said, and the fact that he knows his weight is an issue and he came back to put on more weight means that it shouldn't be an issue going forward. I'd be curious what he actually weighs now. If he got up to 185, there are examples of successful WR in that range and the more he puts on the more it will benefit him. 190+ is probably where he should try and be with 200 being ideal and 200+ is where Chase is at.

There's no doubting his talent, it's there in spades. He's a freak on the field and has the production numbers to back it up. His thin frame/weight are going to be the knock on him unless he addresses it. The comparisons are almost worthless as there isn't a history of thin WRs being productive with long careers. Every example given in the numerous threads about him are not direct comparisons because the information available, he has the lowest RBS. Now, if he is already playing at a higher weight that hasn't been reported, then that changes the equation.

If you look through Pro Football Reference, sort by yards and go year by year top 25 the data is there. Steve Breaston is 6'1"/175lbs on that site, but his combine and every else has him at 192+ so he's not a comparison either.

As it stands right now, he's trying to be the first in at least 20+ years to have a successful NFL career at his thin stature. That's a lot to ask an organization to take a chance on with where people are trying to project him.

I'm curious to what he actually weighs now. I looked through 20 years of top 25 WR in receiving yards and nobody was 6'1"/175lbs which puts him in the 2.4 relative body size. There hasn't been a WR that slim be productive as the average is still over 2.7+. However, the production is crazy. I remember people saying Moss was thin and he was, but he he still had a lot more RBS than Smith. With that said, and the fact that he knows his weight is an issue and he came back to put on more weight means that it shouldn't be an issue going forward. I'd be curious what he actually weighs now. If he got up to 185, there are examples of successful WR in that range and the more he puts on the more it will benefit him. 190+ is probably where he should try and be with 200 being ideal and 200+ is where Chase is at.

There's no doubting his talent, it's there in spades. He's a freak on the field and has the production numbers to back it up. His thin frame/weight are going to be the knock on him unless he addresses it. The comparisons are almost worthless as there isn't a history of thin WRs being productive with long careers. Every example given in the numerous threads about him are not direct comparisons because the information available, he has the lowest RBS. Now, if he is already playing at a higher weight that hasn't been reported, then that changes the equation.

If you look through Pro Football Reference, sort by yards and go year by year top 25 the data is there. Steve Breaston is 6'1"/175lbs on that site, but his combine and every else has him at 192+ so he's not a comparison either.

As it stands right now, he's trying to be the first in at least 20+ years to have a successful NFL career at his thin stature. That's a lot to ask an organization to take a chance on with where people are trying to project him.

If I remember correctly, the reason he gave for staying at Bama was to put on a little more weight. He weighed 175 last season, so I imagine he’s bulked up at least a touch.. Marvin Harrison was almost his exact frame at 6’0.5 181 pounds.

I am already not a fan of the body mass chart, but I think acknowledging his frame was a sign he wanted to get bigger. We’ll see at the combine. One of the reasons it matters most.

Seems like you overlooked someone.

DeSean Jackson is 169lbs soaking wet and holding two phone books yet he managed to score the most 60+ yard tds in nfl history (more than Rice and Moss).

If I remember correctly, the reason he gave for staying at Bama was to put on a little more weight. He weight 175 last season, so I imagine he’s bulked up at least a touch.. Marvin Harrison was almost his exact frame at 6’0.5 181 pounds.

That's why I quoted what post that said he stayed to put on weight. It looks like he knows and may have already addressed it which is great.

Marvin Harrison is a good comp of where he can get to, but even at 72.5"/181lbs he's at 2.5 RBS and there are examples of WRs with that size being successful, Harrison being one of them. Smith's listed H/W has him at 2.4 RBS and there are no examples in the last 20+ years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom