How I see the top 10 Shaping up... (1 Viewer)

I have been saying for a while that there was a possibility that either Ellis or Dorsey fall to us at #10 because there are 4-5 teams that run the 3-4 and both fit better in the 4-3.
http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60127

There is an even better chance now since the Dolphins, Raiders, Jets and Bengals all signed DT or NT in free agency. That leaves the Rams and Chief who could take a DT, but their are both in big need on the o-line.

I think DL is the best pick in round 1, but have been doubtful a good one will be there at 10. Your scenario makes it sound fairly plausible that Gholston, Ellis, or Dorsey will be there for us. I would greedily grab any of them in the following order: G, E, D.

1. Miami - Chris Long - Parcells kinda pick
2. St. Louis - Jake Long - Need OL help
3. Atlanta - Glenn Dorsey - New coach is former Jax DC, knows value of quality big man and have jettisoned Coleman and Jackson this year
4. Oakland - Sedrick Ellis - Lost Sapp
5. K.C. - Ryan Clady - Need OL help bad
6. NY Jets - Vernon Gholston - Probably perfect for 3-4 OLB
7. N.E. - Leodis McKelvin - Need DBs
8. Baltimore - Matt Ryan - Top rated QB falls
9. Cincy - Darren McFadden - Top rated RB falls
10. Saints - Mike Jenkins - #1a or #1b rated corner

:shrug:

Let's evaluate the chances of one of the defensive tackles falling to us:

As of now, I think the team closest to pick a defensive tackle on the draft is Atlanta, I am sure that the new coach will understand how important is to develop the lines.

The raiders can pick one of them too, even when they signed Kelley (who is a de-dt hybrid) to that huge contract. If you think about it, the raiders are not adding anyone to replace Sapp yet. Their need for defensive tackle is bigger than their need a running back, where they are set with Fargas, Rhodes and Bush.

The dolphins and rams may surprise us also, but I think both will go with the Longs.

The jets, patriots and bengals may be looking for a pass rusher. Jets may be looking also at McFadden. It is true that Thomas Jones only had three 100-yard games, but the investment on off. line on free agency may indicate that they think that was the problem. I think a bigger problem for them now is the pass rush, and Gholston or C. Long will be there for them to take.

The ravens will have a hard choice between possibly the first quarterback to be taken, an offensive tackle or cornerback. All positions of need to get younger.

Kansas City may take a defensive tackle if the available offensive tackle is not of their satisfaction, and can even surprise us with a cornerback now that Law has been released.

I haven't consider even the teams that may be willing to trade up, so as of now I think that there is around 25% of us having a chance of drafting one of the defensive tackles at #10.

The big surprise may be having McFadden available at 10. I see more possibilities of that to happen than to have one of the defensive tackles available.

I'm right there with you. As an LSU guy, much as I hate to admit it, I'm almost to the point where I'm hoping Dorsey is already off the board at 10, but Ellis is there. That way the Saints can take Ellis without having to pass on Dorsey. Makes things a lot easier for an LSU :homer:

Exactly my thoughts, though I'm no LSU homer.

I personally don't think it is that realistic. The DT twins will both be gone in the top 5, at the latest top 7. The NFL places a higher price on DT's, especially these two than any other position in this draft.

I personally don't see Ryan Clady or Quentin Groves going in the top ten. Matt Ryan might not go in the top ten either, he is the best QB in a weak class.

I don't know about Gholston. He is one of those classic Combine Warriors. Like Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, Ted Ginn. One of those guys who rockets up the charts after all the games have been played. I don't like guys like that. I just don't think Combine numbers are worth all that much. On the other hand, if somebody picks him in the top 9, that pushes a more proven player back down the board to us. Somebody like Dorsey.

So Clandy goes before Long and Dorsey and Ellis slip to 10. We would take a RB if that happened:_rofl:

I don't know about Gholston. He is one of those classic Combine Warriors. Like Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, Ted Ginn. One of those guys who rockets up the charts after all the games have been played. I don't like guys like that. I just don't think Combine numbers are worth all that much. On the other hand, if somebody picks him in the top 9, that pushes a more proven player back down the board to us. Somebody like Dorsey.

Gholston is not a combine warrior, he is a great player who was consider a top-10 selection even before the combine. Gholston also took every opportunity in the combine to solid his position as one of the two best defensive ends in the draft, and possibly to be a top 5 pick.

Just try to watch some of his play, and you will realize he is more than a pure athlete. He is a solid football player.

If Dorsey and Ellis are gone by 10 what is our biggest need? Do we trade back or get a CB/WLB/DT with our pick? what is our biggest need. i am a front 7 guy so i want a WLB/DT to be our pick. Could Gholsten be a WLB for us?

Not a chance on god's green earth that Clady is picked before long....

NOT A CHANCE... not even a .00000000000000000000000001% chance of that happening....

Have you ever even seen Gholston play?

He's not a Combine Warrior, i mean he was, but he was a STUD way before the combine and been considered a top 10 pick since the season ended...

definitely far fetched to say the least -- but I will say this -- if both Ellis and Dorsey falls to us I think Ellis is the safer pick --

It's not farfetched at all. I do not think Groves will go in the top 10; he will go in the first round. Then again, you never know. But I do see several scenarios where both Dorsey and Ellis are there at #10. The number of teams needing DTs in the top has dwindled. I can see Atlanta possibly making a play for a DT, but if Ryan is there, he's the most likely and logical pick. Kansas City has offensive line needs. New England and Baltimore could go that route. I think if they do, Ellis is the guy they both would be more interested in given the 3-4 schemes they run and the fact that Ellis could possibly play the one-gap. But unless a team trades up, it's looking more and more like the two prized DTs will be there when we select. Thus, it will potentially become a matter of deciding who's the best guy for our team. But that's a good problem to have, I guess.

Not a chance on god's green earth that Clady is picked before long....

NOT A CHANCE... not even a .00000000000000000000000001% chance of that happening....

Hmm, I won't say that there's no chance. There's certainly a chance. Clady is not a slouch. He's arguably the best LT in this draft. He's also more athletic than Long and probably has more upside. Of course, Long is superb and has some upside as well. All that being said, I think Long will go before him because if the Rams anticipate Pace being back this season, then Long would be a great fit on the right side of their O-line. But I would not rule out Clady being taken by the Rams and it wouldn't shock me one bit. Point is, I think the distance between Jake Long and Ryan Clady is FAR smaller than you estimate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom