How I see the top 10 Shaping up... (1 Viewer)

Saint James

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So after the recent developments in FA / trades, I've decided to take a look at what I think a tradeless scenario would bring us in the top 10 picks of the 2008 draft.

1. Miami - I can see Miami going two ways here, Chris Long DE / UVA seems to be the kind of guy Bill Parcells loves. But with recent rumors of Jason Taylor sticking around, its not quite as large of a need as QB is. Matt Ryan seems to be the favorite among experts as best QB of the class.

The Pick: Chris Long DE / UVA - I still see Parcells picking who he wants and trying to find a stop gap QB.

2. St. Louis Rams: Orlando Pace had a huge season ending (possibly career threatning) injury last year. Marc Bulger played half the games because his head kept getting driven into the ground. As much of a reach as I think this is, I see Ryan Clady getting taken before Jake Long, and the Rams desperately need OT help.

The Pick: Ryan Clady OT / Boise St.

3. Atlanta Falclowns - The just gave Michael Turner a sizable contract, they need help across the board. Last year some of their young WRs showed what they could do with a QB who could occasionally throw the ball (instead of Vick). Imagine what they could do with one that's more consistent and cerebral than Vick and Harrington / Leftwich / Redman.

The Pick: Matt Ryan QB / BC

4. Al Davis - Oakland needs alot, they have 3 young-ish average RBs on board...but Al Davis is a moron...and Al Davis loves big name guys. Who else would he pick?

The Pick: Darren McFadden RB / Ar-Kansas.

5. Kansas City Chiefs: Their O-line has fallen apart the past 2 years, Larry Johnson didn't look nearly as good running behind the patchwork thing they had going, and he's their bread and butter. Jake Long falls to 5, but doesn't go much further.

The Pick: Jake Long OT/ Michigan - Long should be a solid tackle and can contribute immediately.

6. New York Jets - Man-gina is all about the 3-4, He gave us Vilma and traded away Dewayne Robertson. They filled two huge holes by bringing in Kris Jenkins and Alan Faneca, and it leaves them to get their tweener OLB / DE

The pick: Quentin GrovesDE / OLB Auburn. - athletic freak...possible bust. We shall see.

7. New England Patriots - Their secondary got pillaged this year. They need help badly and they won't be able to plug and play just anyone from a later round. They'll go corner here.

The Pick: Leodis McKelvin CB / Troy - He gives them a solid athletic corner and a good return man.

8. Baltimore Ravens - Billick is gone because of his lack of consitency at the QB position. They've got McGahee and he performed admirably last year...but they can't continue to be one dimensional on offense. I really see this as the reach / suprise of the top 10.

The pick: Brian Brohm - QB / Louisville

9. Cincinnati Bengals - The Bengals need DL help, but they traded for Robertson and there is a good chance they're trying to fix it with him (which won't work). They lost Justin Smith in FA and the DE spot just got really weak. Vernon Gholston is too good to pass up here.

The Pick: Vernon Gholston DE / Ohio St.

10. New Orleans Saints: Well, we've plugged holes at CB / MLB / DE...hopefully soon at TE. We NEED a good young DT in the worst way. Amazingly, Sedrick Ellis and Glenn Dorsey have fallen to us. In my opinion, Dorsey is the better DT, and would be the better selection. Ellis is no slouch, and if either one falls to us or both, they better be the pick. I'm banking on Dorsey being healthier than people are leading on to be and you can't pass on talent and will like his.

THE Pick: Glen Dorsey DT / LSU

So what do you guys think? Probable? Never going to happen? Is is that far fetched???

Last edited:
Possible

So after the recent developments in FA / trades, I've decided to take a look at what I think a tradeless scenario would bring us in the top 10 picks of the 2008 draft.

1. Miami - I can see Miami going two ways here, Chris Long DE / UVA seems to be the kind of guy Bill Parcells loves. But with recent rumors of Jason Taylor sticking around, its not quite as large of a need as QB is. Matt Ryan seems to be the favorite among experts as best QB of the class.

The Pick: Chris Long DE / UVA - I still see Parcells picking who he wants and trying to find a stop gap QB.

2. St. Louis Rams: Orlando Pace had a huge season ending (possibly career threatning) injury last year. Marc Bulger played half the games because his head kept getting driven into the ground. As much of a reach as I think this is, I see Ryan Clady getting taken before Jake Long, and the Rams desperately need OT help.

The Pick: Ryan Clady OT / Boise St.

3. Atlanta Falclowns - The just gave Michael Turner a sizable contract, they need help across the board. Last year some of their young WRs showed what they could do with a QB who could occasionally throw the ball (instead of Vick). Imagine what they could do with one that's more consistent and cerebral than Vick and Harrington / Leftwich / Redman.

The Pick: Matt Ryan QB / BC

4. Al Davis - Oakland needs alot, they have 3 young-ish average RBs on board...but Al Davis is a moron...and Al Davis loves big name guys. Who else would he pick?

The Pick: Darren McFadden RB / Ar-Kansas.

5. Kansas City Chiefs: Their O-line has fallen apart the past 2 years, Larry Johnson didn't look nearly as good running behind the patchwork thing they had going, and he's their bread and butter. Jake Long falls to 5, but doesn't go much further.

The Pick: Jake Long OT/ Michigan - Long should be a solid tackle and can contribute immediately.

6. New York Jets - Man-gina is all about the 3-4, He gave us Vilma and traded away Dewayne Robertson. They filled two huge holes by bringing in Kris Jenkins and Alan Faneca, and it leaves them to get their tweener OLB / DE

The pick: Quentin GrovesDE / OLB Auburn. - athletic freak...possible bust. We shall see.

7. New England Patriots - Their secondary got pillaged this year. They need help badly and they won't be able to plug and play just anyone from a later round. They'll go corner here.

The Pick: Leodis McKelvin CB / Troy - He gives them a solid athletic corner and a good return man.

8. Baltimore Ravens - Billick is gone because of his lack of consitency at the QB position. They've got McGahee and he performed admirably last year...but they can't continue to be one dimensional on offense. I really see this as the reach / suprise of the top 10.

The pick: Brian Brohm - QB / Louisville

9. Cincinnati Bengals - The Bengals need DL help, but they traded for Robertson and there is a good chance they're trying to fix it with him (which won't work). They lost Justin Smith in FA and the DE spot just got really weak. Vernon Gholston is too good to pass up here.

The Pick: Vernon Gholston DE / Ohio St.

10. New Orleans Saints: Well, we've plugged holes at CB / MLB / DE...hopefully soon at TE. We NEED a good young DT in the worst way. Amazingly, Sedrick Ellis and Glenn Dorsey have fallen to us. In my opinion, Dorsey is the better DT, and would be the better selection. Ellis is no slouch, and if either one falls to us or both, they better be the pick. I'm banking on Dorsey being healthier than people are leading on to be and you can't pass on talent and will like his.

THE Pick: Glen Dorsey DT / LSU

So what do you guys think? Probable? Never going to happen? Is is that far fetched???

It is possible but improbable that both Dorsey and Ellis are available at #10. If one is gone before pick #8, I would attempt a trade with Baltimore.

definitely far fetched to say the least -- but I will say this -- if both Ellis and Dorsey falls to us I think Ellis is the safer pick --

The more I read the more Im coming to believe that Dorsey falling to ten may be a possibility. I dont think it is very likely, and should he fall to ten whatever caused it may cause the saints to pass on him as well. It wouldnt be a popular move but I could see it happen. I think that cincinatti trading for robertson helps us alot as they are probably no longer interested in a dt at 9. Not sure I see the Ravens taking brohm, but they do need a qb

I like your Matt Ryan pick by the turds.....they went out and got their RB in Turner, and now they have the chance to take Ryan at #3. I'm not convinced that the Dolphins pass on him, but you never know!

I just can't see a draft where their is no trade in the top 10. Someone will trade around and mess up the whole works where neither of the big DT's we want will be there.

On such a scenario, my heart says go with Dorsey but my minds tells me to go with Ellis with all this injury talk about Dorsey. It will be a very tough decision.

That's too low for Vernon Gholston dude... When all is said and done, he could easily be the top overall pick! Dude's a BEAST.

Clady ain't going before Jake Long either... Long didn't do anything but solidify himself as the top OL in the draft at the combine.

Here's my crack at it...

1. Miami - Vernon Gholston
2. St. Louis - Jake Long
3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan
4. Oakland - Chris Long
5. K.C. - Glen Dorsey
6. NY Jets - Quenton Groves
7. N.E. - Leodis McKelvin
8. Baltimore - Ryan Clady
9. Cincy - Darren McFadden
10. Saints - Sedrick Ellis

Given some of our draft history I would be scared that even if this played out we would pick Dan Connor...then I would be :en-colere: !!!

That's too low for Vernon Gholston dude... When all is said and done, he could easily be the top overall pick! Dude's a BEAST.

Clady ain't going before Jake Long either... Long didn't do anything but solidify himself as the top OL in the draft at the combine.

Here's my crack at it...

2. St. Louis - Jake Long
3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan
4. Oakland - Chris Long
5. K.C. - Glen Dorsey

Quite a fair take, and I'd be just as happy with that situation. As long as we have a legit oppurtunity to pick Ellis or Dorsey, I think our draft will be highly successful.

Here's my crack at it...

2. St. Louis - Jake Long
3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan
4. Oakland - Chris Long
5. K.C. - Glen Dorsey

Much closer I think. No way Clady goes before Long, or Groves before Gholston.

I'm surprised you don't have either Dorsey OR Ellis going in the top 10. If they were both available, I would take Ellis. He's got less questions right now. Dorsey hasn't been active in the pre-draft community and I am worried that he has physical issues.

If this happens, I say take Ellis.

So another question is, with the signing of McCray, do we still take Gholston or Chris Long if they fall to us? They are more DE than OLB in a 4-3 scheme (and more of a hybrid in a 3-4 scheme).

Here is what I am thinking right now...

Ellis
Dorsey
Rivers
C. Long
Gholston
Mike Jenkins
Leodis McKelvin
DRC
Xavier Adibi
Kenny Phillips
Trevor Laws (I have him over Kentwan Balmer)
Johnathan Stewart
Rashard Mendenhall

I don't see much difference between drafting any of the top DBs or OLBs. I think if the 4 D-lineman are gone (maybe even if either of the DEs are), we can trade back to the 15 or 20 spot (if we can swing it) and get the same value there for an OLB or DB and pick up Trevor Laws at the 40 spot in the 2nd round. Heck if were were to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick to drop back 5 slots that would be great.

On such a scenario, my heart says go with Dorsey but my minds tells me to go with Ellis with all this injury talk about Dorsey. It will be a very tough decision.

I'm right there with you. As an LSU guy, much as I hate to admit it, I'm almost to the point where I'm hoping Dorsey is already off the board at 10, but Ellis is there. That way the Saints can take Ellis without having to pass on Dorsey. Makes things a lot easier for an LSU :homer:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom