How important are announcers? (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Over the years here we’ve had many discussions on our thoughts on play by play and color commentators

Who we liked, loved and hated both currently and historically

We talked about dream pairings

But how big a difference do the announcers really make?

Have you watched a game you had zero interest in because of who was calling the game?

Have you ever not watched a Saints game because you hated the announcers?

They absolutely make a difference while watching the game

But personally I’m going to watch the games I want to want and not watch the games I don’t care about regardless of who’s in the booth

Honestly, I can tune them all out. I do listen to games over the am radio, if I’m driving, and can definitely see the value in that obviously.

I don’t like the ones who have to over simplify and explain obvious thing and draw circles all over the screen like Madden used to do.

I don’t like the ones who have to over simplify and explain obvious thing and draw circles all over the screen like Madden used to do.
Madden to me was awful. Speaking of Circles did you see the Circles Booger put on the screen last season in the Saints/Colts game. It was quite hilarious.

Honestly, I can tune them all out. I do listen to games over the am radio, if I’m driving, and can definitely see the value in that obviously.
That's probably the hardest game to call on the radio. You have to provide a visual while calling fast paced action for the audience.

An announcer who can analyze the game on the fly is worth their weight in gold. I was blown away by the broadcast quality improvement w/Romo.

The thing that's killed sports broadcasts in the last decade or so is the dramatic Disney/ESPN-ification of it. Everything has to be about drama, personal back story, family life, overcoming rough childhoods, QB worship, etc.

Having to go through the Apple/Google/State Farm/All State/Budweiser/Coors/Ford/Chevy/Papa Johns/Pizza Hut commercial carousel is bad enough, but on top of that we can't even hear about the game we want to enjoy. Hopefully Romo ushers in a new style of broadcast.

I don't really need them. All that matters to me is the game and if we're winning.

I feel like they're a very undervalued (perhaps underrated is a better word choice here?) component to watching the games in the sense that they can change the whole dynamic/impact of said game. Whether that be topics of conversation, highlighting a certain player and his skill set, making the call on a big play, or anything in between is purely based on context. As much as some here may hate hearing it, the Joe Buck call on the Minneapolis Miracle is a very good example of this.

I don’t watch the game for the announcers either. I don’t think anyone does. That said, I prefer ones that don’t get on my nerves. There was one guy last season that just rambled 100 mph and drove me insane. It’s subjective obviously, but I think there are certain characteristics that make for good announcers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom