How Important Is Drafting a Tight End? (1 Viewer)

In my opinion, there are two skill position players needed on offense. 1st is TE and 2nd is 3rd down RB.
OJ Howard is the best of the TE's. Howard + Fleener puts our offense in a position where most defenses in the league can't go. He is one player that can effect every aspect of the offense. O Line, RB, QB, WR, & O cord play calls. Think about before we got Jimmy, we couldn't get past Chicago and the Tampa 2 defense. Jimmy and/or Shockey put the Saints offense on a different level.
I really want us to take Derrick Barnett with our first pick but, I think OJ Howard has a bigger impact on the team.

I think Lasco can fill the need for that 3rd down RB.
If he is well next year, look out!
An OJ Howard draft would make my day, but we will probably go defense in the 1st.

I'm keeping my eye on Evan Engram from Ole Miss. They use hI'm similar to how we use JG. More of a big WR or a TE who doesn't block well. Maybe a good option in the 3rd

Just curious, but why isn't anyone talking about the late season pickup John Phillips? I know he has been used primarily as a blocking TE throughout his career (Dal, SD, Den), but this guy has shown potential to catch the ball in his only two weeks here. I think this guy has way above average hands, and is not afraid to run the tough routes or "in traffic" routes.

I would give Fleener another year. Jimmy did not perform in his first year, neither did Watson, but both excelled in there 2nd year with the system. We are not sure with what they have with Houman and Hill is not consistent enough....catches the hard ones but drops the easy ones. Hill sometimes is a momentum killer.

If all positions are taken care of and a highly regarded TE is available in the draft, I say pull the trigger and go for it in later rounds. But if we don't draft a TE this year, I think with what the Saints have presently on staff will be more than sufficient to make it through another year.

But I have to say it again, I'm really impressed with Phillips in a short showing so far.

Just curious, but why isn't anyone talking about the late season pickup John Phillips? I know he has been used primarily as a blocking TE throughout his career (Dal, SD, Den), but this guy has shown potential to catch the ball in his only two weeks here. I think this guy has way above average hands, and is not afraid to run the tough routes or "in traffic" routes.

I would give Fleener another year. Jimmy did not perform in his first year, neither did Watson, but both excelled in there 2nd year with the system. We are not sure with what they have with Houman and Hill is not consistent enough....catches the hard ones but drops the easy ones. Hill sometimes is a momentum killer.

If all positions are taken care of and a highly regarded TE is available in the draft, I say pull the trigger and go for it in later rounds. But if we don't draft a TE this year, I think with what the Saints have presently on staff will be more than sufficient to make it through another year.

But I have to say it again, I'm really impressed with Phillips in a short showing so far.

Hell yeah. I agree. John Phillips made some tough catches and I am surprise he isn't featured more. Am I the only one who thinks Fleener runs with a hunch back. His running style doesn't seem right to me. He runs like he is bracing for a hit every time. It doesn't glide.
Jimmy actually performed well in his first year in 2010. He was raw but he made some spectacular catches. Did well when Shockey was out.
Hill has improved but he has been injured. Don't be surprised he is let go.

I feel that the tight end position is one of the least troubled positions this team has. The main focus should be offensive line and defensive end. Let our guys come back healthy and another year experience in this offense and see what happens.

Hell yeah. I agree. John Phillips made some tough catches and I am surprise he isn't featured more. Am I the only one who thinks Fleener runs with a hunch back. His running style doesn't seem right to me. He runs like he is bracing for a hit every time. It doesn't glide.
Jimmy actually performed well in his first year in 2010. He was raw but he made some spectacular catches. Did well when Shockey was out.
Hill has improved but he has been injured. Don't be surprised he is let go.

I was surprised Hill had made the team this year. Well kind of. After they signed Fleener, Hill was the only proven TE on the roster. However, I have to agree he is a long shot to make the team next year.

As for Fleener, it did appear at the beginning of the season he was always bracing for a hit, leading to a missed or dropped ball. I think the last two games (although very limited action), he is starting to play better. I might give him a pass this year, but he will be on a short leash next year.

I was surprised Hill had made the team this year. Well kind of. After they signed Fleener, Hill was the only proven TE on the roster. However, I have to agree he is a long shot to make the team next year.

As for Fleener, it did appear at the beginning of the season he was always bracing for a hit, leading to a missed or dropped ball. I think the last two games (although very limited action), he is starting to play better. I might give him a pass this year, but he will be on a short leash next year.

Honestly I was not a fan of the Fleener signing. I was rooting for Watson to get resigned for at least one more year and get a tight end to groom with him. Watson was coming off a great year for us and had such great games where he was the focal point in some games last year. He made some amazing catches and Brees and the whole team really like Watson, not just for his skills, but the great person and leader he is to the others. Why not resign a player who is still very good? It would of been cheaper than Fleener.

Fleener, on the other hand, has been in this league for a while now. He isn't some rookie that needs time to learn. His old team didn't want him. His old fans didn't want him. They have reason to. Fleener has too many chances this year to make plays. He has been targeted. Half of those time, he has dropped the ball. I don't think it is a chemistry issue. It is lack of abilities and concentration on his part. The Colts team and their fans saw it. Now we are seeing it. Some want to give him a pass and give him one more year. But I am saying, it is what it is with him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom