How important is DT to the success of a defense?? (1 Viewer)

willbill

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Would you consider offering one of next years picks to move up to a spot where we can get Ellis or Dorsey. I wouldn't mind seeing us move up for Ellis since the FA pool is slim at DT this season, The time is now to take advantage of the fact that we have a good offense and we need to assemble a good defense to go with our offense.

You don't have to look very far to answer the question in the thread title.

This year's SB champs. It's very important.

And yes, I'd be fine with jumping the Bengals or even the Ravens to snag Ellis or Dorsey. Absolutely.

I'm not so sure about moving up, but I do think that a NT/DT is literally the anchor of the entire defense. Therefor, I find it very important to the sucess of a team.

The most important position on the defense. Without good DT play LB's, DE's, and CB's can all be nullified for the most part.

Just look at the Giants. They brought pressure every chance they could with a great rotation of players. If you can disrupt the middle all he breaks loose.

depends how much we have to give up.

as many have said above, theres no question a great DT is huge, but you have to ask yourself how much is enough?

Well according to some folks here... our DEs would be so much more effective with a dominant DT... I tend to agree with that... if we can get a (or 2) real good DTs to eat blocks that could leave our DEs with one-on-ones... which they should win... and with Ed O coaching the line there will be more accountability.

Well according to some folks here... our DEs would be so much more effective with a dominant DT... I tend to agree with that... if we can get a (or 2) real good DTs to eat blocks that could leave our DEs with one-on-ones... which they should win... and with Ed O coaching the line there will be more accountability.

Not only that, no matter how good your DE's are, the QB can always step up if theres no pressure up the middle even if your DE's are doing their best to create a pass rush. I love it when a DT or LB shoots up the middle and makes a sack. We didn't see much of that this year.

Pressure up the middle and being solid against the run are very important. And very lacking from the current Saints roster.

On the other hand, non saints fans don't know the names of the players on the d-line during the reign of the dome patrol, but they can rattle off at least 3 of the linebackers

On the other hand, non saints fans don't know the names of the players on the d-line during the reign of the dome patrol, but they can rattle off at least 3 of the linebackers

The same way most people couldn't name the DT's that have been in front of Ray Lewis, but Lewis himself complained that he couldn't play without good DT play.

The Steelers (admittedly a 3-4 defense) have had numerous pro bowl linebackers over the years, and perennial top-ranked defense. The one constant has been Pro Bowl NT Casey Hampton.

I've been following the draft for 25 years plus and every year when I'm sitting there with my charts and tables I'm thinking 'ok this standout guy I got on my list isn't gonna last a moment longer I'll offer all our picks and my wife and kids to move up two places'.
Every time the guy falls to at least three picks below us.

Now I'm not a complete idiot (well ok my wife would disagree) and two or three times I even had a smoking draft, but one thing I have found is that trading up is lunacy unless you absolutely have to have a guy and you know there's a team who is 100 per cent definitely gonna take him.

Let's be honest I bet there was a bunch of you screaming for us to trade up and take Poz, Chris Houston and Alan Branch last season.

In a 4-3 defense, the DTs are VERY important. They allow the DE and the LB's to make plays away from the line.

Why? If they don't make blockers pay attention to them, then the DEs get blocked and can't get to the QB, and if they can't make the play on the run at the line, the LBs are stuck watching the run more than they should and get burned by the pass. This is a cascading effect on the defense, because then this makes the DBs pay closer attention to the middle of the field and less to the long pass (which is our problem).

So the bottom line is it's VERY important.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom