How important is it to you that the CCC bridge be lit-up? (1 Viewer)

How important is it that the Greater New Orleans Brige stay lit-up

• Very important

Votes: 38 41.3%
  • Not important at all

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • it would be nice but not very important

Votes: 34 37.0%
  • tacoes

Votes: 11 12.0%

• Total voters
I'm a bit of the other side. I actually would have zero problem keeping the tolls if the money was used first for bridge maintenance with the remainder being split exclusively between the east and westbanks (maybe 1/3 to 2/3) and used exclusively for road improvement projects. A toll tag makes a trip across only $0.40, and we could do a lot of good for our crumbling infrastructure with that money. Furthermore, the bridge is set up in such a way that it makes removing the toll plaza difficult due to the vast lane merge immediately after it.

The fact that this money has been so mishandled, however, makes me wholly unsympathetic to any political wailing about the tolls' going away. They were originally created to pay for construction of that bridge. That payment was completed, and the surplus was squandered. Therefore, I have no sympathy and no willingness to pay it any longer. Period.

You're not alone. My wife and I actually voted for the tolls in the election not really understanding that the ferries and the CCC police would not be funded by the tolls if it passed or not. I don't mind paying for services, but the more I learn about the CCC tolls the more angry I get, the more I can't wait for re-elections to come around.

You mean to tell me, that the same toll that was used to build the bridge still needs to be in place to light it? That's insane. The entire fiasco just stinks of crooked politicians and croonies.

Those bridges get rusty - how you gonna pay to paint them?

Just to let y'all know, the bridge lights on the I-10 bridge in Baton Rouge and another bridge in Shreveport that's lit up have no tolls and are paid for by tax dollars.... So what makes the CCC any different.....? It's all b.s., if you believe these politicians, you're all fools.....

THis is not gospel, but I heard that the bridge in BTR is part of the interstate system and is differently funded..Cant say if the bridge is shreve is part of the interstate system. I like the lights, I work on the westbank and live on the east bank. I can live without the lights. but already trash is piling up on the bridge. Id rather they spend the money on cleaning up the stuff that could cause accidents or mess up my tires than on bridge lighting.

The same way they paint every other bridge in the state.

Yet another one......

Seriously. The only thing different about this bridge is that the state got it for free instead of paying for it out of pocket. If anything, that should make it easier for them to do upkeep on it.

Where to begin? We had 20 years to plan for the expiration of the tolls. It takes roughly 60k dollars per year to keep the bridge lit. The tolls were generating 20 million per year. When the tolls stopped, there was enough money in the bank to pay for over 500 years of lights yet they were turned off a week after the tolls stopped. There are legal and economic mechanisms in place to pay for the bridge, its upkeep, repair, and policing, all without tolls. Not one of the promised projects from the tolls can be pointed out as completed.

There is no need for a toll with the exception of political concerns. The only reason politicians are upset is because they made promises to get where they are; promises that relied on allocating toll money. It is about damned time citizens of Louisiana stand up for themselves.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Nothing needs to be added to this.

5dcbd53f_clap.gif

Those bridges get rusty - how you gonna pay to paint them?

Good question. Because the 190 bridge in baton rouge is currently getting a paint job right now that costs THE STATE OF LOUISIANA 10's of millions of dollars. The I-10 Mississippi River Bridge in Baton Rouge got a similar paint job recently and still has decorative lights. Paid for by THE STATE OF LOUISISANA.

ETA: By federal law, the Louisiana DOTD must inspect and maintain the CCC to keep in compliance with federal safety regulations.

Turning off the lights on the CCC was nothing more than a scare tactic and political intimidation to the voters of the New Orleans area. The toll money that was collected from Jan 1 until the tolls were stopped a few weeks ago could pay for those lights for years.

What's scary is they are going to keep the lights on, meaning that revenue they were expecting to generate by keeping the lights on they will get from somewhere else. These crooks are looking to get a pound of flesh out of you.

There are only 2 other toll bridges in Louisiana, The Causeway, and the Hwy One bridge going to Grand Isle....

We all know how the Causeway is run, the Hwy One bridge is another question....

Well, for example Florida has an extensive Toll system. Chicago has a massive toll way (I-294). They seem to spend a lot of money fixing those roads. Just wondering how they are run and if that's a good model to follow. Also, there are some independent toll bridges in south Florida as well.

Also, the Mackinac Bridge is painted all the time and has a toll. I don't know of any mismanagement there.

Illumination could return to Crescent City Connection | NOLA.com

The proposal is to keep the lights on for about another year until a permanent solution is found.

Young said he will propose that the commission add the decorative lighting bill and street sweeping to the list of uses for a $5 million transition fund. The commission approved paying for roadway lighting, grasscutting and other services at a meeting earlier this month.

The proposal would call for the Young Leadership Council, which installed the ornamental lights in 1989, to pay for electricity for three months and the transition fund would kick in for a year. The measure would buy officials time to hopefully work out a permanent solution, Young said.

I don't know why they haven't already figured this out. The vote was last November. Did they not consider that the tolls could actually be voted down?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom