How important is it to you that the CCC bridge be lit-up? (1 Viewer)

How important is it that the Greater New Orleans Brige stay lit-up

• Very important

Votes: 38 41.3%
  • Not important at all

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • it would be nice but not very important

Votes: 34 37.0%
  • tacoes

Votes: 11 12.0%

• Total voters
Tolls were suspended on 3/12/13 after a state district judge nullified the election that renewed the CCC tolls for 20 years in November.

Here's a timeline of the events:

November 2012: New Orleans area voters narrowly pass renewal of tolls on the CCC for 20 more years.

December 14, 2012: West Banker Michael Teachworth sues the state, claiming that as many as 1000 voters received a ballot containing only the national election races.

January 3, 2013: Judge orders recount of toll vote, which resulted in confirmation of toll renewal by 16 votes.

March 5, 2013: Judge agrees with Teachworth and nullifies CCC toll vote (effective immediately) and orders a new election on May 4, 2013.

March 11, 2013: Thirty one toll workers are laid off.

March 15, 2013: The decorative lights on the CCC are turned off despite a last minute effort by the Young Leadership Council to privately fund the lighting costs for three months.

May 4, 2013: New election results in ?????????

Tolls were suspended on 3/12/13 after a state district judge nullified the election that renewed the CCC tolls for 20 years in November.

I think his point was that they could have been (and almost were) defeated at that November election. There should have been a plan in place before that election, and there was a plan in place for many other aspects in case of a loss. Had the plan been complete, they could have merely fallen back on the relevant parts of the plan once it was struck down.

I think his point was that they could have been (and almost were) defeated at that November election. There should have been a plan in place before that election, and there was a plan in place for many other aspects in case of a loss. Had the plan been complete, they could have merely fallen back on the relevant parts of the plan once it was struck down.

Rest assured they all had plans for the money already in the bank should the tolls fall through.

Rest assured they all had plans for the money already in the bank should the tolls fall through.

Supposedly there was $31 million in toll money the day the lights went out on the CCC. The lights cost $45/day to operate.

Looks like they indeed had plans for that money, and illumination wasn't one of them.

The Sunshine bridge in St James got a total makeover AFTER the tolls were done away with. It's lite up nicely without new tolls...

The CCC is, IMO, becoming more and more a recognizable icon of the NOLA skyline to the rest of the nation. Not anywhere near Superdome status, sure, but it certainly is a big time icon. It deserves to be lit, and at $45/day, the state can sure as hell find and kill an illegal scheme and funnel that money back towards keeping the CCC glowing.

I think I may have use all my green thumbs today (and a few red ones, too).

Only in nawlins are the folks concerned about "decoration" lights on a friggin bridge....C'mon Man......

Only in nawlins are the folks concerned about "decoration" lights on a friggin bridge....C'mon Man......

I seem to recall a large amount of discussion over some "decoration" lights on a certain "friggin football stadium". There is often national discourse over changes in the decoration lights on the "friggin Empire State Building". The dome, the bridges, and the cathedral identify our city to billions of people worldwide who want to visit and who wonder if we're still underwater. Those landmarks deserve to be properly cared for. How about you "c'mon" and take some interest in the care and reputation of your city, as a matter of both business and pride.

Was indifferent until I lived on the wank for a few months. The issue has simply emboldened me to vote against every incumbent on the ballot every year for the rest of my life.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom