How important is it to you that the CCC bridge be lit-up? (1 Viewer)

How important is it that the Greater New Orleans Brige stay lit-up

• Very important

Votes: 38 41.3%
  • Not important at all

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • it would be nice but not very important

Votes: 34 37.0%
  • tacoes

Votes: 11 12.0%

• Total voters
Is it a coincident that the bridge lights get turned on when people from around the world will be here for the Crescent City Classic this week?

a lot of people in this thread are confusing street lights, which would stay lit, with the decorative lights, which are what were shut off.

a lot of people in this thread are confusing street lights, which would stay lit, with the decorative lights, which are what were shut off.

This is true enough. Even without the decorative lights, the roadway lights are on and the road is illuminated. Water navigation lights are also on.

I haven't seen anyone do this. What did I miss?

This is true enough. Even without the decorative lights, the roadway lights are on and the road is illuminated. Water navigation lights are also on.

This is all completely true, but FWIW only the upriver bridge (the skinny one) has aircraft warning lights on the top of it, which I found rather disturbing.

I seem to recall a large amount of discussion over some "decoration" lights on a certain "friggin football stadium". There is often national discourse over changes in the decoration lights on the "friggin Empire State Building". The dome, the bridges, and the cathedral identify our city to billions of people worldwide who want to visit and who wonder if we're still underwater. Those landmarks deserve to be properly cared for. How about you "c'mon" and take some interest in the care and reputation of your city, as a matter of both business and pride.

They're using the friggin lights to hold the citizens hostage over paying tolls again....anyone can see that.....if they're "REALLY" landmarks....they don't need lights to draw that attention....it's friggin nighttime when they go on....most tourist see the bridge in daylight...without lights......duh!!!!

They're using the friggin lights to hold the citizens hostage over paying tolls again....anyone can see that.....if they're "REALLY" landmarks....they don't need lights to draw that attention....it's friggin nighttime when they go on....most tourist see the bridge in daylight...without lights......duh!!!!

Nobody is being held hostage about anything. You are correct, though, the lights are lit only during the nighttime. I realize that that is unusual, but I rather like our ingenuity in doing it. If you would get out of Kenner from time to time, you would realize that the bridge's color actually makes it fairly useless as a skyline element during the day; it's only at night that it really gains some swagger. I personally enjoy sitting at St. Charles tavern and watching the streetcar pass in front of the bridge; I find it calming and beautiful. :hug:

I had no idea what kind of responses I would get from this thread but I have to admit, I never saw any coming like yours. Of course they were holding them hostage but if someone takes something of yours hostage, is your response always "well I didn't need it anyway?" The point is to not let them take them hostage. Stand up for yourself and have some pride. Jesus Chalupa.

I haven't seen anyone do this. What did I miss?

Maybe not in this thread, but some nitwits in office tried to make voters think the roadway lights would go dark, too (I'm looking at YOU, Jackie Clarkson). Just like some nitwits tried to make voters think the tolls had to be extended to fund the ferries, even though the ferries were cut out of the bridge toll pool by the very legislation that set up the ballot referendum (ALSO looking at you, Clarkson).

This is all completely true, but FWIW only the upriver bridge (the skinny one) has aircraft warning lights on the top of it, which I found rather disturbing.

The red beacons on the newer span came back on after a few days. Frankly, you'd have to be a pretty lousy pilot to see the lights on the old span, avoid it, but hit the other one anyway.

I find it fishy that New Orleans got all of that money from the bridge but has the worst roads in the metro. I understand that soil shifts around in the area and we need the money to fix the roads, but they don't! If they did, I could understand the tolls. $20 M+ annually to light a bridge, yeah I totally see that... as insulting our intelligence.

I find it fishy that New Orleans got all of that money from the bridge but has the worst roads in the metro. I understand that soil shifts around in the area and we need the money to fix the roads, but they don't! If they did, I could understand the tolls. $20 M+ annually to light a bridge, yeah I totally see that... as insulting our intelligence.

New Orleans didn't "get all that money." $.19 of every toll dollar went towards the bridge itself. The rest went to various projects around the state, including the Hwy 1 toll bridge in South Louisiana.

New Orleans didn't "get all that money." $.19 of every toll dollar went towards the bridge itself. The rest went to various projects around the state, including the Hwy 1 toll bridge in South Louisiana.

It is absolutely amazing how open ended this was. It was an open bank account that kept refilling itself.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Maybe not in this thread, but some nitwits in office tried to make voters think the roadway lights would go dark, too (I'm looking at YOU, Jackie Clarkson). Just like some nitwits tried to make voters think the tolls had to be extended to fund the ferries, even though the ferries were cut out of the bridge toll pool by the very legislation that set up the ballot referendum (ALSO looking at you, Clarkson).

I don't doubt any of that, sadly.

The red beacons on the newer span came back on after a few days. Frankly, you'd have to be a pretty lousy pilot to see the lights on the old span, avoid it, but hit the other one anyway.

Obviously nobody should be flying that low anyway, but I noticed the lack of lights as I was crossing it one night, and I thought it was rather disturbing specifically because it was so difficult to see the wider span in the haze. Again, nobody should be flying that low or that close to the visible street lights whether there's a red beacon or not, but I still thought it was worth a mention.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom