How long should you leave ribs on the grill? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I just threw some pork ribs on the grill. How long do y'all leave them on there for?

You will know, but in case you don't:

Make sure the fire stays low (or out). Just let the heat from the coals cook the meat, slowly. Pork is one meat that must cook thoroughly or you risk eating live bacteria. Here is how to tell, cheat. You will see the meat darken and look like it is done in about 30-40 min (depending on the slab size). Take your knife, cut a slice down one of the rib-bones and make sure there is no blood or the meat is not red. Do this in the thickest part. If it is Red still, make a few cuts in the thick parts of the meat so that the heat can cook in there. If the meat is white, tender and yummy...take your slab off OR do like I do, lightly layer some homemade BBQ sauce on it at that time to coat the outside. Let that stay on for about 5-10 minutes (you will see the meat really darken and the sauce dissappear into the meat while cooking). Take it off then, because she's ready.

Have another sauce with cooked onions etc...ready for those that must drown the meat in sauce. For those that don't, you have just given their taste buds a small slice of heaven also.

If you were cooking 2 racks of baby back ribs(4-5 pounds total), you should cook the ribs indirectly and cook them 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours total. Make sure the ribs are well-browned and cooked through, yet tender enough to pull apart with your fingers. When the ribs are cooked, the meat will have shrunk back from the ends of the bones by about 1/4 inch.(from BBQ University)

Depends on how you cook them.

I always smoke ribs over indirect heat and cook for at least an hour. I flip them every 15 minutes and baste with homemade sauce.

If smoking them, don't freak out if the meat inside is pink as that's how it should be. The meat should pinken from the outside in due to the smoking process.

Until the deserving SOB has screamed enough for your satisfaction.

I always pre-cook mine in the oven for 3 hrs at 250 degrees. Then I place them on the grill for 10 minutes on each side while basting. They come out extremely tender with a crispy outside.

I know it's cheating, but I boil them for 30 min., then smoke 'em slow for 3 hours. The meat is so tender it just falls off.

I know it's cheating, but I boil them for 30 min., then smoke 'em slow for 3 hours. The meat is so tender it just falls off.

Boiling them in a some water and a little crawfish boil makes for some good ribs.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom