Video How long will Jeff Ireland Continue his Role as Assistant Gm/College Scout Director with the Saints? (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Sports Talk 365's New Orleans Saints Section talks about the possibility of losing Assistant General Manager/College Scout Director to another team offering him the opportunity to become a General Manager once again.

Eventually, he will get another chance with the right team but all we can do until then is pay him more money. If a team like Chicago comes calling, as it did with Pace, he has to take the job.

Eventually, he will get another chance with the right team but all we can do until then is pay him more money. If a team like Chicago comes calling, as it did with Pace, he has to take the job.
Yes I agree. Teams are definitely paying attention to what this guy is accomplishing in New Orleans.

Honestly, I think he likes his position being behind the scenes and focusing only on football and he's shown he's really good at it. He's getting paid really well, doesn't have to worry about contracts, player grievances, etc., and gets to work for one of the coolest organizations in sports.

His gaffe that cost him his GM job in the first place can't really happen in his position now and I don't think he misses that part of the job.

I thought the last time this was discussed is that he essentially ran the football side of the organization while Loomis had become overseer of the whole thing? Ireland’s great skill is player acquisition and he’s being paid GM money to do just that. Loomis is smart enough to get out of the way and let the man do his thing. Payton has less control than I think a lot of people assume he does. The people involved have a good relationship, and work together well, but I always got the impression that Payton makes it very clear exactly what kind of player he needs, the skill and talent set then Ireland and the talent side find those players that fit Payton’s wants, rather than just oh you need a WR ok we will grab whoever rather than exactly what type of player the coach wants.

Part of me feels like after the success he has had in such a short time, if it was going to happen it would have happened already. He could have had any open GM job he wanted after that 2017 draft. I mean both ROTYs? Unreal.
It wasn't short, he was in Miami but it wasn't the right situation. He's earned his stripes.

I could be wrong, but he is less likely to get fired in his current role. As much falls on the GM more so than him. 🤔

I'm kinda surprised it hasn't already happened. This run of drafts under Ireland have been unreal. Almost all of the players the Saints have drafted since 2016 are still in the league. All 7 players drafted in 2017 are still in the league and 6 of them are still with the Saints.

That's a stark contrast between the draft before Ireland arrived in 2014 when only 1 of the 6 players drafted lasted three years in the league. And only one player, Brandin Cooks, was with the team the next season.

Honestly, I think he likes his position being behind the scenes and focusing only on football and he's shown he's really good at it. He's getting paid really well, doesn't have to worry about contracts, player grievances, etc., and gets to work for one of the coolest organizations in sports.

His gaffe that cost him his GM job in the first place can't really happen in his position now and I don't think he misses that part of the job.

I agree

I think it depends on how much the title of "General Manager" means to him

I'd like to believe that he's in a perfect situation with the saints

He's doing the tasks he wants to do, getting paid what he wants to get paid and just as importantly i feel he's getting the credit for the work he's doing

If all the team's success was credited solely to Loomis and Payton I can see that rubbing him the wrong way but I feel that within the organization, locally and league wide Ireland is recognized and praised for what he's done

Last edited:
Not everyone wants to climb all the way to the top of the ladder. Some people find something they like doing along the way and are just content to stay there. In his case he's already been to the top and it didn't work out. I think he's happy doing what he's doing now.

Man forget that I don’t want to go back to the bottom of the barrel defensive talent, and on top of that Brees will be leaving after this season. I say pay him more money 💰 even as much or more than a GM makes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom