How many compensatory picks are we heading towards, at this rate? (1 Viewer)

NOLAJM504

-McNucca-
Reaction score
I’m well aware that we are (likely) not close to done where signing and releasing players are concerned — but perhaps someone with knowledge of how the formula for compensatory picks works could maybe opine and/or project what kind of added picks we are headed towards, given the players we lost so far?

Sean Payton never really took full advantage of this perk, and I think so much of why the Patriots were successful (during their elite years) was Belichicks willingness to send certain types of players away to other teams, and consequently they consistently had two or three additional mid round draft picks than most other teams had, year after year.

Simply put, to those who know — though it’s early in free agency, hows it looking for us so far where compensatory picks are concerned?

Thanks 🙏

We’re projected at 4 comp picks as of right now.
Two 4th rounders for Davenport and Onyemata’s APYs and two 6th rounders for Elliss and Dalton’s APYs

I believe the Saints are capped at only getting 4 picks for players lost. Teams can receive more than 4 compensatory by making diversity hires (San Francisco this year).

I believe the Saints are capped at only getting 4 picks for players lost. Teams can receive more than 4 compensatory by making diversity hires (San Francisco this year).
Yep 4 are the max we can get for losing players. The total or the rounds can decrease though if we make another signing with an average per year that approaches Elliss and Dalton’s like we likely will.

We’re projected at 4 comp picks as of right now.
Two 4th rounders for Davenport and Onyemata’s APYs and two 6th rounders for Elliss and Dalton’s APYs

I can’t remember ever having that many but that would certainly be a welcome development given we are working on patching up some of the value disparity that was created by moves in the past that we had to, at the time, tap into our future draft equity for.

Here is the latest.

Given our cap status, I doubt this deviates much from this point.

I’m just glad we can now have an off-season next year where we don’t have to hear uninformed fans’ conspiracy theories as to why we never get comps, as if the league is intentionally trying to screw us over.

Still can’t believe we gave up a third last year for a sixth this year so that we can have one single season of the Andy Dalton experience. 🙄

Hopefully this is something the organization pays closer attention to moving forward.

Attachments

• 59B20063-E585-46D9-B3A6-934052B0A6B8.jpeg
    59B20063-E585-46D9-B3A6-934052B0A6B8.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 40
Here is the latest.

We gained a lot of cap space from Peat’s revised contract. I think we’re still going to sign a TE, OL, WR, or LB in FA for depth. Their APY will probably be 4M-5M per year, close to Dalton’s

Here is the latest.

I’m just glad we can now have an off-season next year where we don’t have to hear uninformed fans’ conspiracy theories as to why we never get comps, as if the league is intentionally trying to screw us over.

Where is this graphic hosted? Did you create this?

We gained a lot of cap space from Peat’s revised contract. I think we’re still going to sign a TE, OL, WR, or LB for depth in FA, and their APY will probably be 4M-5M per year, close to Dalton’s

We still have to pay the rookies $6.1m.

I am fuzzy on where we are after Peat’s restructure. I’d think we are teetering in the $7m to $10m range, but I have no idea.

I read yesterday that while we have reached the cap of 4, the signing of Dalton by Carolina gives us one in the bank in case we sign someone that offsets one of the 4 we already have. I don't fully understand how compensatory picks work, but the jist of the article was that if we sign someone that in theory would cost us a comp pick, then Andy's signing would negate the loss.

Here is the latest.

Still can’t believe we gave up a third last year for a sixth this year so that we can have one single season of the Andy Dalton experience. 🙄

Hopefully this is something the organization pays closer attention to moving forward.
Saunders will likely be a CFA that cancels out one of the others, but three picks is still a good haul.

Saunders contract will probably offset Dalton's pick and I'm going to guess we'll sign one more player (Hollins? Moreau? another DT?) that will offset the other 6th round pick. As long as we manage to keep the 2 4th I think we're in pretty good shape

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom