How many more games will we win if our pass rush performs like they did against the Texans? (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
The Saints took Deshaun Watson down six times in the opener on Monday Night. If that happens to Jared Goff, a quarterback that's not mobile like Watson, we shall win easily in Week 2 and so forth.

dont know how the Oline for Rams stacks against Oline for Texans, but if they are similar, i would expect similar results. But i also think Goff has the ability to get the ball out quicker than Watson for the offensive differences in how they operate.

dont know how the Oline for Rams stacks against Oline for Texans, but if they are similar, i would expect similar results. But i also think Goff has the ability to get the ball out quicker than Watson for the offensive differences in how they operate.
This. Goff gets the ball out quicker, so our secondary is going to have to hold on (not literally) a little longer to give the pass rush a chance to get there.

This. Goff gets the ball out quicker, so our secondary is going to have to hold on (not literally) a little longer to give the pass rush a chance to get there.

Funny thing about first game stats:

Time to Throw
2019 1st game / 2018 Season Avg

Goff............ 2.68 / 2.95

Watson.... 2.73 / 3.01

Brees....... 2.85 / 2.59

Drew took forever by Drew's standards to throw against the Texans. With only 1 sack, this shows how well he was protected. BTW, Goff and Watson only had .06 of a second separating their TT average in 2018 and .05 of a second separating their TT in their first games last week.

ETA:. Because I was curious, in 2016 (Saints last losing season) Drew had to be rocketman with an average TT of 2.42! In 2017 his TT was 2.58.

Last edited:
Last week I posed the question about the coaches moving Davenport inside to a 3 tech to offset the absence of Onyemata, which they did. With his return we should have a more disruptive interior push and i would not be surprised to see a front of Jordan/Onyemata/Davenport/Hendrickson with an "A" gap blitz

Last year, the Rams had an elite O-line. They were rated #1 to #3 by a number of the media outlets and analysts.

McVay has to pretty well know that DA will be sending the house a bunch. I just hope we don't get burned by long TD dump passes or quick slants when in full out rush.

For those who saw the SB, how did Bellicheck completely shut down the Rams? Thx

Last year, the Rams had an elite O-line. They were rated #1 to #3 by a number of the media outlets and analysts.

McVay has to pretty well know that DA will be sending the house a bunch. I just hope we don't get burned by long TD dump passes or quick slants when in full out rush.

For those who saw the SB, how did Bellicheck completely shut down the Rams? Thx
If I remember correctly they got pressure on Goff and were draped on his receivers. Also helped that Gurley was not healthy for the game which kept the Rams offense one dimensional.

If our pass rush continues to be this good, I could see us winning 12 or 13 more games. We did that without Onyemata and Rankins, so I am really looking forward to having them back. Also, on top of that, if our secondary tightens up and Brees and Cook start clicking, I could see us winning every game from here on out. Understand, I used several ifs there. We have a great team, capable of doing many things. We just have to hope we live up to our potential this season.

HOU gives up the most sacks per QB per drop-back since 2017 (31st in 2017, 32nd in 2018 and already back to 32 this season for pass protection).

Rams are in the top 10 in pass protection. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect the Saints to continue to get that kind of pressure - though it would be awesome.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom