Saints How many of you played or coached football (High School, College or Pro)? (1 Viewer)

AmerVet

The 1 Arm Receiver
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I marched in the band. But how many football players you know can play flight of the bumblebee in the second octave? I played flag football in the Air Force but we lost the championship game against the Logistics squad. Back then I could throw a football over them mountains.

LiterOCola

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I played from age 10 through high school. I was in a group that was in training for college, but it was apparent that no matter how much I tried, I didn't have the genetics to build the muscle necessary. If I had persisted, I would have been a Rudy-esqe charity case for some mid level school that would have used me as a living tackling dummy for real football players.

Darren B

My son's a Who Dat too!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I played for 4 years in the British American Football League, from age 24 to 28. The standard of play was no better than US high school level I would guess - there were some very good players, but as everyone was there for their own enjoyment there were some pretty bad players too! I played CB and a little bit of Safety and actually led the team in interceptions my final two years, but we were pretty awful for most of those 4 years and eventually giving up my whole Sunday for a game of football got too much so I gave it up.

There are a lot of Air Force bases in this part of the UK, so we had a handful of US guys on the team, most of which were pretty good and you could tell who had played football right through school / college. The best player I ever played with or against was a guy named Chris McIver. He was a CB and also returned kicks, probably about 6ft 180lbs or so, but he was really fast, strong and just knew the game really well.

But the thing was, he was nowhere near good enough for the NFL. He left our team after a year and went to play for the best teams in the UK in London, then I believe he got transferred to mainland Europe and played for some of the semi-pro teams there. But I always remember thinking "if this guy isn't good enough for the NFL, how good must those guys actually be?"

I had planned to get into coaching a team over here after I stopped playing, but then I met a girl and 13 years later the rest is history!

FatCitySaint

Drag The Waters
Reaction score
Played from 6th grade through high school. Played both sides RB and CB. I had the gift of speed and could run with anyone at the time. I miss those days for sure.

My coach tried to play me at QB one year but of all things I couldn't get the ball from the center cleanly. I would fumble the snap constantly lol....that is harder than it looks. Shotgun no problem but under center ....nope lol.

Noble Saint

Former NFL Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Played DII College QB. Saw I was going to sit for a few years behind an All-American so transferred. Back then you had to transfer down or you lost a year of eligibility.

Lustmord

The Scourge of Christians
Reaction score
I played for 4 years in the British American Football League, from age 24 to 28. The standard of play was no better than US high school level I would guess - there were some very good players, but as everyone was there for their own enjoyment there were some pretty bad players too! I played CB and a little bit of Safety and actually led the team in interceptions my final two years, but we were pretty awful for most of those 4 years and eventually giving up my whole Sunday for a game of football got too much so I gave it up.

There are a lot of Air Force bases in this part of the UK, so we had a handful of US guys on the team, most of which were pretty good and you could tell who had played football right through school / college. The best player I ever played with or against was a guy named Chris McIver. He was a CB and also returned kicks, probably about 6ft 180lbs or so, but he was really fast, strong and just knew the game really well.

But the thing was, he was nowhere near good enough for the NFL. He left our team after a year and went to play for the best teams in the UK in London, then I believe he got transferred to mainland Europe and played for some of the semi-pro teams there. But I always remember thinking "if this guy isn't good enough for the NFL, how good must those guys actually be?"

I had planned to get into coaching a team over here after I stopped playing, but then I met a girl and 13 years later the rest is history!
I played in uk for the newmarket Hornets, cambridge cats and Leicester Panthers from 88 to 91! We were coached by guys from mildenhall afb.

Ended up getting a college scholarship to us to play at a small NAIA school. Was invited to try out for the London monarchs and Barcelona dragons of nfl europe. Played senior pro over here then broke leg.

Last edited:

TribuneUK

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score

PA Knights by any chance? I remember facing Chris McIver on a few snaps as a punt team gunner and he absolutely stoned me at the LOS. He was an excellent DB there and I believe one of two American DBs on the team that year who absolutely stood out on every play we saw on tape or on game day.

TribuneUK

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Played from 6th grade through high school. Played both sides RB and CB. I had the gift of speed and could run with anyone at the time. I miss those days for sure.

My coach tried to play me at QB one year but of all things I couldn't get the ball from the center cleanly. I would fumble the snap constantly lol....that is harder than it looks. Shotgun no problem but under center ....nope lol.
Did you hold both arms absolutely straight awaiting the snap by any chance, rather than slightly flexed? Just a guess, it's the cause of more fumbled snaps than almost anything else, apparently 😀

Grant Backer Two

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I started in Pop Warner at age 7. My best friend's dad was my coach in Football, baseball, and basketball. I was always taller and bigger than my classmates, even ALL of the girls and some teachers by 6th grade, So I HAD to play. I LOVED all three sports anyway. (Didn't have a cell pnone to waste my time) I Letttered in all 3, at Pass Christian High School, MS coast. I was 6-3, 200 my senior year of 1982. I played Tight End and Defensive end. (QB's Blindside :)) We ran the Veer, so I was the "Adam Troutman" moving from left to right, depending on where the play was going. My job was to chip the DT, and seal the inside line backer, if I was on the left or right side of the line. Teams KNEW we were running it, and still couldn't stop us. We were a 2A school, BUT we beat 5A D"Iberville, (North Biloxi) my senior year at THEIR house! We went 6-4, and our 4 losses were by a combined total of 12 points.
We beat our arch rival Long Beach,MS which was a 3A or 4A school. They had the NERVE of scheduling us for their Homecoming game, which was the last game of the year. I won the Punt, Pass & Kick District finals at age 12 and 13, so I punted and kicked from junior High through High school. My greatest feat was kicking the extra point against Long Beach to beat them 21-20, for THEIR homecoming. :) There was about 23 seconds left on the clock, as my kicked went through the middle of the uprights.... Side note, Long Beach 13 year old all star baseball team had beaten my Pass Christain 13 year old all star team in the state finals, 2-0. We had beaten them in the district finals in PC, 6-5. I remember how crushed we were back then. I felt like beating them for their homecoming, ALMOST made up for them beating us in the state tourney in 1977, when I was 13.
I had the size, tenacity, dedication, and smarts to play Ju Co ball. The ONLY thing missing was SPEED! LOL My son had the size AND speed, and was awesome in baseball, but the practice part of the sport, is what he HATED. I'd give my left arm, to be thinking about running on the beach in the summer in PC, and getting ready for the gut wrenching time of two a days at the beginning of August in the South MS heat!!!
I think I was better at baseball, at 6-3 with a 35 inch sleeve, as a first baseman, I could almost strech and almost reach my shortstop with my very large and long first base mit. I made one error in two years. The slowest ball ever hit to me, and I pulled my glove up too early.. SMH....
I watched EVERY sports event I could lay my eyes on back then, so I knew all of the intricacies of the games, as I learned to play them. Most importantly, I LOVED practicing. My buddy and I would beg his dad/coach to let us practice for another half hour or so. We really didn't want to go home and watch GIlligan's Island, or the Munsters. I mean Mary Ann was very HOT and all, but we could see here ANY DAY on TV.... Thanks WGNO New Orleans!!! LOL
***I left out the fun part of having injuries: Tore my calf muscle in a "B game" in 10th grade. (missed last 4 games of the season)
****My ONLY major injury was when I was playing Fraternity Flag Football at Southern Miss... Tore my right knee up, on a wet field with tennis shoes on...:( (miniscus, Lateral and colatteral ligaments, and my ACL) AMAZING to me, after thinking of ALL the contact I had... I had a concussion in practice as a junior, didn't know my name, or where I was. I remember waking up, sitting in a chair in front of the shower..... No WAY in Hades, was I going to miss the next game.
---------See if you tell the coaches you are hurt, you will have to SIT ON THE BENCH. "Sit on the Bench" was NOT a part of my vocabulary! However, now I NEED both knees replaced, and I walk like Sasquatch, I think maybe, just maybe, I should have come out of several games. However, that white athletic tape, could do wonders for a 17 year olds body. :) I would be sore on Saturday mornings, but I was groovy by Monday's practice in shorts and helements. :)

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom