Saints How many of you played or coached football (High School, College or Pro)? (3 Viewers)

AFLwhodat

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I played in high school at WR and DB. Didn’t play any in college but I ended up working for the athletic department. Graduated then started working as a scout in the AFL for few years. I want to thank @Andrus for putting together an incredible site. Found it when I was 15 and I’m now 31. This site really kept me informed and helped me find my niche in scouting and sports management back when I was in high school and thinking of a career to pursue. Shoutout to so many posters- TCUdan, NOFalcons, Draft freak , Rev, EWS and so many others for the work they put in each draft season. Who Dat!

Reaction score
I played HS. My father was a play by play announcer and director of public relations for a major college. I was lucky enough to work their football camp in the summer. So I was exposed at a young age to football terms and schemes. I was very lucky to do the things my fathers job opened up.

boutte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Played both ways on the line at Beauregard JHS even though I was 5'7' and weighed 140. But I was real quick, not fast, and had good technique. Played all through HS at Warren Easton. I never got any taller but I did get up to about 185. Never got any faster so I got stuck at guard. Only started in games.
I was on all the special teams though so at least I got on the field. After my last game as I was taking my pads off I had tears in my eyes knowing I'd never put pads on again.

baarbogast

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Play Pop Warner from age 9 through 14, to Small for high school ball so I got on the soccer team at Bonable and we were pretty good all the way to state championship against East Jefferson, PlayEd our championship game inside the dome, And won. Join the Navy in 77 and when I reported to my duty station in San Francisco my ship had a football team, I’m talking pads and helmets the real thing and we would schedule games against other ships. But the game that stands out for me the most is when we scheduled a football game against the prisoners and San Quinton prison, this was probably the most surreal experience I’ve ever had. When we walked in through the courtyard I noticed the machine gun tariffs on each corner and then we had to walk into the gym to get to the dressing rooms and everywhere you looked all you saw was weightlifters and I’m telling you there wasn’t a small guy in the bunch and you can just imagine what their football team look like. They were about 38 players on the Navy team,And the morning of the game only 18 of us showed up so Yours truly had to play offense and defense, and sometimes special-teams. We got creamed.
You starred in your personal version of the Longgest Yard!!

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
High school. Played until I blew out a disc in my back, suffered with sciatica for years, then blew out another disc that had been bulging. Relatively ok now with just stiffness in my hamstrings and back and the occasional painful muscle pull.

My kids if I have any won't be playing. I mean, unless they miraculously grow taller than me and only play quarterback or kicker, haha. Just don't want them to experience the same pain.

Winter

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I played from age 10 through high school. O-line and D-line. In high school I was right tackle for a team that ran a fly offense (sweep, sweep, pitch, dive, repeat). I had to "put on the burners" a lot lol. Almost played JC, but went to another school with no team.

I played against Zach Ertz and Roy Helu.

gummbo70114

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
You starred in your personal version of the Longgest Yard!!
The only difference is I got to leave the place after the game was over. That scene when I had to walk through their gym and experience with a hardened criminal really looks like, well the only crime by elation that I am guilty of is probably a rolling stop sign.

daninmn

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was a pretty good HS player, started at OG and MLB. I wasn’t really college material because I was too small at6’1” for the OL and too slow to play LB. I played at about the smallest level of college football there is , Juco at mgccc and then NAIA at Belhaven. I did OK and wouldn’t trade the memories for anything

parlorcitysaint

WhoDat in exile.
Reaction score
My high school football career lasted about an hour, but I have watched all levels since before there were Super Bowls and I am the size of an NFL defensive tackle. Does that count? :ezbill:
I was gonna say that I'm roughly the shape of a football, but your comment is good too. Lol

Reaction score
I played quarterback. This was in the late 90s in middle school.

Edit: worth mentioning I wore #9

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Played up through junior in high school. Finally stopped when my lack of size couldn’t be overcome by wrestling background and sheer toughness. If I was 6 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier I would’ve been a great DE. Darn genetics....

Sumdude34

All-Pro
Reaction score
Played in HS. Was a S, but really more of a rover type. Lol that's why I'm constantly defending Marcus Williams and other Safteys on here.

I loved my postion because it was really just Chess against the OC. I was pretty good about knowing when they were setting us up for something big on third down or whatever and then shutting it down. I wasn't big, but I had good instincts. It really let everyone else just focus on their one assignment and play loose. I really liked the in-game challenge of figuring out the patterns in playcalling and basiclly crippling the other team's whole game plan. I didn't go on to anything more after HS.

As much as I loved playing the game, I hated everything else about it. Such a uniquely toxic environment to be a part of. Football is a culture, much more so than a sport, and I just never really fit into that part of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Headlines

Top Bottom