Saints How many of you played or coached football (High School, College or Pro)? (1 Viewer)

I played from age 10 through high school. I was in a group that was in training for college, but it was apparent that no matter how much I tried, I didn't have the genetics to build the muscle necessary. If I had persisted, I would have been a Rudy-esqe charity case for some mid level school that would have used me as a living tackling dummy for real football players.

I played for 4 years in the British American Football League, from age 24 to 28. The standard of play was no better than US high school level I would guess - there were some very good players, but as everyone was there for their own enjoyment there were some pretty bad players too! I played CB and a little bit of Safety and actually led the team in interceptions my final two years, but we were pretty awful for most of those 4 years and eventually giving up my whole Sunday for a game of football got too much so I gave it up.

There are a lot of Air Force bases in this part of the UK, so we had a handful of US guys on the team, most of which were pretty good and you could tell who had played football right through school / college. The best player I ever played with or against was a guy named Chris McIver. He was a CB and also returned kicks, probably about 6ft 180lbs or so, but he was really fast, strong and just knew the game really well.

But the thing was, he was nowhere near good enough for the NFL. He left our team after a year and went to play for the best teams in the UK in London, then I believe he got transferred to mainland Europe and played for some of the semi-pro teams there. But I always remember thinking "if this guy isn't good enough for the NFL, how good must those guys actually be?"

I had planned to get into coaching a team over here after I stopped playing, but then I met a girl and 13 years later the rest is history!

Played from 6th grade through high school. Played both sides RB and CB. I had the gift of speed and could run with anyone at the time. I miss those days for sure.

My coach tried to play me at QB one year but of all things I couldn't get the ball from the center cleanly. I would fumble the snap constantly lol....that is harder than it looks. Shotgun no problem but under center ....nope lol.

Played DII College QB. Saw I was going to sit for a few years behind an All-American so transferred. Back then you had to transfer down or you lost a year of eligibility.

I played for 4 years in the British American Football League, from age 24 to 28. The standard of play was no better than US high school level I would guess - there were some very good players, but as everyone was there for their own enjoyment there were some pretty bad players too! I played CB and a little bit of Safety and actually led the team in interceptions my final two years, but we were pretty awful for most of those 4 years and eventually giving up my whole Sunday for a game of football got too much so I gave it up.

There are a lot of Air Force bases in this part of the UK, so we had a handful of US guys on the team, most of which were pretty good and you could tell who had played football right through school / college. The best player I ever played with or against was a guy named Chris McIver. He was a CB and also returned kicks, probably about 6ft 180lbs or so, but he was really fast, strong and just knew the game really well.

But the thing was, he was nowhere near good enough for the NFL. He left our team after a year and went to play for the best teams in the UK in London, then I believe he got transferred to mainland Europe and played for some of the semi-pro teams there. But I always remember thinking "if this guy isn't good enough for the NFL, how good must those guys actually be?"

I had planned to get into coaching a team over here after I stopped playing, but then I met a girl and 13 years later the rest is history!

I played in uk for the newmarket Hornets, cambridge cats and Leicester Panthers from 88 to 91! We were coached by guys from mildenhall afb.

Ended up getting a college scholarship to us to play at a small NAIA school. Was invited to try out for the London monarchs and Barcelona dragons of nfl europe. Played senior pro over here then broke leg.

Last edited:

PA Knights by any chance? I remember facing Chris McIver on a few snaps as a punt team gunner and he absolutely stoned me at the LOS. He was an excellent DB there and I believe one of two American DBs on the team that year who absolutely stood out on every play we saw on tape or on game day.

Played from 6th grade through high school. Played both sides RB and CB. I had the gift of speed and could run with anyone at the time. I miss those days for sure.

My coach tried to play me at QB one year but of all things I couldn't get the ball from the center cleanly. I would fumble the snap constantly lol....that is harder than it looks. Shotgun no problem but under center ....nope lol.
Did you hold both arms absolutely straight awaiting the snap by any chance, rather than slightly flexed? Just a guess, it's the cause of more fumbled snaps than almost anything else, apparently šŸ˜€

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom