Pelicans How many of you think Zion's injury may have been a blessing in disguise? (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
The team has had to circle the wagons, and get as much out of the remaining players for the first part of the season.

Now, with Zion's return, they have a superstar to add to the confidence they have built over the season. I really think that the Pelicans will be in the playoff hunt, and just might make it!

I appreciate the optimism but there is nothing good about Zion having a knee injury followed by surgery.

Not just because of the possible long-term issues but because we seemed to be coming together in preseason with Zion just fine and then without him the first 1/2 of the season was a flaming disaster.

We are closer in the standings to the 9 win Warriors than we are the 7th seed.

Things are slightly better now that the schedule has lightened up but Zion's injury (and Gentry's inability to sort through the wreckage for 3 months) torpedoed the season IMO. I recognize it is theoretically possible for us to make the playoffs and the bottom of the west is just as bad as we are, but I'm not sure we are about to go 25-17 the rest of the way (which would get to 40 wins - not good enough for the playoffs most years but I guess maybe this year it might?)

I appreciate the optimism but there is nothing good about Zion having a knee injury followed by surgery.

Not just because of the possible long-term issues but because we seemed to be coming together in preseason with Zion just fine and then without him the first 1/2 of the season was a flaming disaster.

Things are slightly better now that the schedule has lightened up but Zion's injury (and Gentry's inability to sort through the wreckage for 3 months) torpedoed the season IMO. I recognize it is theoretically possible for us to make the playoffs and the bottom of the west is just as bad as we are, but I'm not sure we are about to go 25-17 the rest of the way (which would get to 40 wins - not good enough for the playoffs most years but I guess maybe this year it might?)
That’s why we have discussion boards.

I see your point, but I believe that the dynamics of this team will make for a very exciting remainder of the season!

Lets not forget the insane number of injuries. Its pretty hard to get players who have never played together (especially when several are young) to gel and create chemistry when players are constantly injured and the lineups are always changing

If they can be healthy from here out I think we have a good chance to make the playoffs

Lets not forget the insane number of injuries. Its pretty hard to get players who have never played together (especially when several are young) to gel and create chemistry when players are constantly injured and the lineups are always changing

If they can be healthy from here out I think we have a good chance to make the playoffs

"If only everyone was healthy" should go on Gentry's headstone.

#8 is very much in the realm of possibility with the softer schedule this team has from here on out.

I began to think that when we improved vastly and his return is more like a big trade/FA happening before the break. He doesn't have to be amazing immediately and that is the best part.

Well I said the same thing about Drew Brees getting hurt and look how that turned out. So who knows???? Lol.

just a couple weeks ago there was all kinds of talk about us trading away our veterans (Jrue, Favors, JJ) because we were going to tank the year and now they are pulling back on that

I always thought it was stupid....the young guys need those quality vets to learn from. What were we going to trade them for? We already have a ton of draft assets and from what I have read the next draft is questionable. what vets would we get in return that would be as good at mentoring? Jrue, Favors, and JJ are quality locker room and team leaders

What you said here is a classic example of when something might be factually correct on the surface, but woefully wrong when proper context is added.

Since around Christmas, I believe the Pelicans have the 4th or 5th best record in the NBA. And they did it against a very rough part of the schedule. Plus Brandon Ingram is now an all-star caliber player at a difficult position.

Now they aren't done with the tough games back to back, but it gets easier as the season progresses. And the teams they are fighting with for that spot, have a tougher road than the Pelicans do. And these are teams have not had to deal with all these injuries.

Basically the Pelicans look like a 50+ win team right now (assuming they've been healthy all year) while the other teams look like they've plateaued already.

What you said here is a classic example of when something might be factually correct on the surface, but woefully wrong when proper context is added.

Since around Christmas, I believe the Pelicans have the 4th or 5th best record in the NBA. And they did it against a very rough part of the schedule. Plus Brandon Ingram is now an all-star caliber player at a difficult position.

Now they aren't done with the tough games back to back, but it gets easier as the season progresses. And the teams they are fighting with for that spot, have a tougher road than the Pelicans do. And these are teams have not had to deal with all these injuries.

Basically the Pelicans look like a 50+ win team right now (assuming they've been healthy all year) while the other teams look like they've plateaued already.

We have definitely improved since the 13 game losing streak and I understand the remaining schedule, etc., but we are just too young/inconsistent/streaky (pick your preferred term) to play .600 ball the rest of the way. IMO.

Last night was weird because of Zion's return, etc., but is also emblematic of what I'm talking about. From one game to the next we went from shooting a team record number of 3s (on the road) to a complete brickfest (at home) until Zion went nuts. And then when he went out we got run all over again. We were flying around on D in Memphis and then allowing a layup line for 3 quarters at our biggest home game of the year.

Whether it is youth, coaching, talent, or some combination of all of those we just aren't there yet.

I like our long term future very much, and I would be thrilled to get the 8 seed. I just don't see it happening.

Hopefully everyone throws this post back in my face in 3 months.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom