How many of you thought officials would reverse the OPI on Evans?? (1 Viewer)

Oh, and another Brenneman BS call was when Drew jumped over the line on 4th down and he thought the ball should be placed where Drew was finally down. I guess he has never heard of forward progress.
It is only forward progress if you get hit by a defender. We got a generous spot. I don’t think Brees landed at the first down. They were right that it is different than breaking the plane at the goalline.

The PI on Evan was a bad call, and the refs made several bad calls against us as well. Also, our DB was lined-up offsides, yet didn’t get called. The officiating wasn’t overall terrible.

The problem is how to spot him on landing from replay. I doubt they had a good view of exactly where he made it to after(if ever) a part of him touched the ground instead of the pile. They likely just deferred to the side judge because that's notoriously hard to review .

The PI on Evan was a bad call, and the refs made several bad calls against us as well. Also, our DB was lined-up offsides, yet didn’t get called. The officiating wasn’t overall terrible.
The DB didn't line up that far offside, the TV line was simply wrong. That's what made it look like a close call.

I thought it was a bad call to be honest. I don't care even if it was beyond one yard there was very little contact. What if that was called on Michael Thomas how would you feel?

Very little contact? Wtf are you serous? That was clear opi. He pushed down. Anyone who think that wasn't a flag is delusional. That was cearly a flag and i'm glad they got it right. If it was called on thomas i would admit he pushed off.

I wasnt so sure if they overturn it or not
Usually they screw the Saints, so could have been possible

The announcers were just horrendous
Once they said that Arizona took a timeout... wtf

And who the hell set those yardages on the screen?
They got it wrong constantly

Yeah, I would've been annoyed if they called this on MT13, but the head slap I think is what drew the flag and what kept it from being overturned (that plus refs' general unwillingness to overturn PI calls).

he was touched on the helmet as he outstretched is what I saw.

Exactly. It looked like the ball still crossed the marker anyway at the point Brees pulled it back, so I think it would've been a first anyway, but it did make me a little nervous when I saw that.

No Buccaneer touched him so forward progress wasn't in play.

Forward progress doesn't apply until you've been touched. If you voluntarily move the ball backwards then you lose the yardage.
Yeah...I realize this is a tough one for us Saints fans, but Brees did pull the ball back before he was contacted by a defender -- so if Arians wanted to challenge that one, he'd have had some legit reason to do so. HOWEVER...with that pile of humanity at the line and the low camera angle, there is no way it would have been reversed. So I think Thom had a solid question...and I'll be honest I thought it was a risky decision to assume that the ref would award forward progress to where he extended the ball -- before he pulled it back and took the contact.

Brenneman was clearly biased. He keep getting it wrong when something good would happen for the Saints. Ex. When he said the wr didn’t make the catch so it wasn’t a fumble on the DD interception. It was an int you idiot. There were several others throughout the game just like that one. But I thought Spielman was fair.

The one I remember was when they sacked Taysom and Spielman was railing on why Sean Payton would put Taysom in at QB when "you have Drew Brees." He said it like three times in the two minutes after the play. Dude, you're an ex-linebacker and he's Sean freakin' Payton. Shut up.

FTR, I didn't think it was pass interference. The contact clearly occurred before Winston threw the ball. As far as I can tell, the PI rule prohibits an offensive player from initiating a block before the ball is thrown (to a different receiver), but I don't see where in the rules it is illegal for a receiver to shove a DB out of the way within the contact zone before the ball is thrown.

Actually he was right
Oh, and another Brenneman BS call was when Drew jumped over the line on 4th down and he thought the ball should be placed where Drew was finally down. I guess he has never heard of forward progress.
on this, fwd progress is awarded if the defense pushes you back, but if you go back on your own, or in this case pull the ball back on your own, you don’t get forward progress.

Actually he was right

on this, fwd progress is awarded if the defense pushes you back, but if you go back on your own, or in this case pull the ball back on your own, you don’t get forward progress.

There's another thread on this very subject.

(I think it's not quite as simple as you present it - if the ball carrier is contacted by a defensive player at the point of forward progress, the progress stands even if the ball carrier pulls the ball back to a more secure position. Contact is the key. If Brees doesn't make contact, then pulling it back pulls back the progress, but if contact is made, it stands).

Actually it WAS terrible, just equally terrible on both teams. Brees spot, PI not reversed, roughing not called on low hit to Winston for us, Cam being murdered over and over, phantom off and def holdings, the rankins roughing that WAS called went against us.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom