How many people actually watch game film? (1 Viewer)

Big Chris

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
It seems like we have an over abundance of draft gurus. I follow the draft closely but honestly I just read everyone else players break downs and kind of meld them into one overall outlook. I will watch a highlight tape of a player here and there but actual scouting game film, ever. I was just curious.

CaliSaint4Life

Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
For college: I don't have the coaches film but I watch a ton of cutups. Draftbreakdown is great for this.

For the NFL: I watch a ton of footage and now it's even better with coaches film. Once you learn how to watch it, it's really exciting. After the draft, and I watch what I may have missed on who we drafted (especially if I don't know much about them) then start digging into the NFL film.

It can be an obsession when you start to trust what you see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've gotten into it lately. As Cali mentioned Draftbreakdown is an excellent site for finding it.

ITs tough to do Safety's and CB's cuz u don't see them majority of the time so u don't know what their role might have been.

I watched my first college game this year to scout Anthony Barr and came away thoroughly impressed with his overall game.

Its fun and does become obessissive.

Sun Wukong

Worlds Deadliest Fighting Arts Champion and Master
Reaction score
I don't have the time to do stuff like that. I barely have time to actually watch the games themselves.

I do remember some sports talking head (can't remember who, but it was someone from NFLN or ESPN) who once said that any primarily NFL media guy who suddenly becomes an expert on college players one the season ends is full of crap. He said they don't remotely have the time to review game tape during the season and they're just blowing smoke based on what other people have told them.

bornnraisedwhodat

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
It seems like we have an over abundance of draft gurus. I follow the draft closely but honestly I just read everyone else players break downs and kind of meld them into one overall outlook. I will watch a highlight tape of a player here and there but actual scouting game film, ever. I was just curious.
Im far far from a scout. But i will pull up some games for some particular prospects i like. I still dont know what to look for with OL though

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
"NFL Gamerewind" offers the "all22" as a part of the service. I would love to watch it but when I have time for that I don't have access to a proper connection.

outvoted

Due to popular demand....
Reaction score
I keep games DVR'd as long as I can to watch them over and over (not that I am skilled in this area) and it is addictive. Mainly for me to see if I can figure out a players "tell", and see how they adjust in the heat of the game.

While it is fun and I have learned a lot from it, I rely on the guys on SR for "the truth" about college prospects, and when they start talking about game film.....means two different things between me and them :)

bequick

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I use to watch game film. But, I have not done so in the last few years. While on my MBA and a full time job, I don't have time to breath much less do anything else.

HTML:
College: Never, that game is so terrible. I can barely watch any film at all before I get disgusted with the lack of adjustments. 

NFL: Only Saints games and sometimes their future opponents playing a different team. This is before the game film was opened. So I had to hunt down torrents which sucked at time. ,
CALISAINTFORLIFE is right, it can get time consuming really fast. When trying to grade out players (I had my own formula), hours would pass and I wouldn't even know it.

I have not watched film in the last two years and therefore, I have not posted much. I don't like pasing too much judgement without empirical evidence to support my conclusions.

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Lol, over abundance of draft gurus. You hit the nail on the head there. We have an over abundance of draft gurus, 3-4 gurus, 4-3 gurus, free agency gurus, salary cap gurus, guru gurus, legal gurus, etc.

We have a lot of really smart people around here with access to google and youtube.

rail

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
LOL - didn't you know you're on a website full of pros, ex-pros, and coaches?

Everyone here is an expert.

CaliSaint4Life

Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
There are a lot of guys who scout for websites who do it exactly how we do it. You'd be surprised how many scouts don't have football experience. I wouldn't consider myself a scout, I'm just a dude who loves to watch as much football as he can. Most of what I look at is in the defensive front 7. I don't comment on other positions as much because I don't know them half as well, especially secondary play because there are so many types of coverages and I have yet to put a TON of time into investing in that part of football.

I guess my point is that if you spend about 3 or 4 years at it, and what you see starts to translate onto the field, then your on the right tracks. It's mostly a guessing game anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)