How many people actually watch game film? (1 Viewer)

There are a lot of guys who scout for websites who do it exactly how we do it. You'd be surprised how many scouts don't have football experience. I wouldn't consider myself a scout, I'm just a dude who loves to watch as much football as he can. Most of what I look at is in the defensive front 7. I don't comment on other positions as much because I don't know them half as well, especially secondary play because there are so many types of coverages and I have yet to put a TON of time into investing in that part of football.

I guess my point is that if you spend about 3 or 4 years at it, and what you see starts to translate onto the field, then your on the right tracks. It's mostly a guessing game anyway.

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://KOAM.images.worldnow.com/interface/js/WNVideo.js?rnd=171057;hostDomain=www.koamtv.com;playerWidth=645;playerHeight=408;isShowIcon=true;clipId=8350418;flvUri=;partnerclipid=;adTag=Sport;advertisingZone=;enableAds=true;landingPage=;islandingPageoverride=false;playerType=STANDARD_EMBEDDEDscript;controlsType=fixed'></script><a href="http://www.koamtv.com" title="KOAM TV 7 Joplin and Pittsburg">KOAM TV 7 Joplin and Pittsburg</a>

Here's a video of a scout breaking down a prospect (on that we talk about a lot on SR).

Insert ain't nobody got time fo dat .gif

Beat me to it. :hihi:

tumblr_m8um5czsa51qawgya.gif

College coaches tapes aren't hard to get. I watch a lot every year. It was really nice when they all started using dvd format... I've been doing it for close to 20 years.

Most of what I look at is in the defensive front 7. I don't comment on other positions as much because I don't know them half as well, especially secondary play because there are so many types of coverages and I have yet to put a TON of time into investing in that part of football.

That is interesting, when I watch, it is ALWAYS coverage and especially the quarterback play. Even in the NFL one can quickly catch some boneheaded plays; however, watching coverage film for college makes me feel dirty.

I have never been good at DL/OL play. But I can spot a good receiver or QB a mile away.

I tend to look at OL/DL play just because I had the most experience there in my playing days. I know what skills OL need and can usually pick up good/bad habits by watching film.

That is interesting, when I watch, it is ALWAYS coverage and especially the quarterback play. Even in the NFL one can quickly catch some boneheaded plays; however, watching coverage film for college makes me feel dirty.

I have never been good at DL/OL play. But I can spot a good receiver or QB a mile away.
I'm talking about as it pertains to scouting college guys. I usually watch the LBers when the ball is snapped and pay attention to what they do since they diagnose the play. I'd say I know quite it bit about coverages but there are a lot of them out there and you really have to watch a lot of film to know which one they are running, and even then its hard because you don't know the exact assignments. Watching how a guy does in man-to-man is cake compared to trying to decipher when coverage a team is running a guys responsibilities.

College coaches tapes aren't hard to get. I watch a lot every year. It was really nice when they all started using dvd format... I've been doing it for close to 20 years.
Now this guy is pretty hardcore when it comes to eval and scouting guys. Always look forward to your post and player opinions. Need to post more tho!:spit: :spit: :spit: :spit:

Now this guy is pretty hardcore when it comes to eval and scouting guys. Always look forward to your post and player opinions. Need to post more tho!:spit: :spit: :spit: :spit:

Get ready to be happy. I'm working on LBers right now. After the Combine, i intend to post my entire draft evaluations.

Get ready to be happy. I'm working on LBers right now. After the Combine, i intend to post my entire draft evaluations.
Sweet man. Can't wait to hear what you think about Jordan, Jones, Ansah, Mingo, etc. I have a few opinions myself so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on that thread.

How do you come across them? I usually just TiVo the game and run through it, of course you don't see the CB/Safety play

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom