How many Saints defensive starters from last night start on other teams? (1 Viewer)

mc4saints

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone gets my point. Injuries and below average players had us at a huge deficit from the get go last night.

Assumed starters out or gone from training camp:

Breaux
Rankins
Kikaha
Swann
Keenan
Vaccaro

Underperformers:
Laurinitus
Byrd

I say 2 maybe 3. Cameron, Fairley, and maybe Robertson.

What say you?

Doesn't really matter. The problem with this whole thread is that we have assembled a defense, after firing zero position coaches that matter, a year removed from an offseason where we saw wholesale changes to the roster, where Payton said coaches and players would be held accountable (only players were) and we are no better today, some might say we are more talent depleted now, than we were 2 years ago. We are 14-21 in our last 35 games. That's a large sample size and NOTHING looks better. It doesn't feel like we are any better off.

Les Miles was fired for not adapting his offense. Why isn't Payton being held to the same standard for a never ending horrendous defense?

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

You could give the entire defensive roster to the Broncos today and these are the players that would start tomorrow.

Cam would be a 34 DE asked to occupy blockers and stop the run.
KV would probably start at SS but even then he'd be replacing a guy that made the pro bowl last season.

The only other player that would have a chance to start would, oddly enough, be Anthony at MLB. That spot is currently being played by Todd Davis, former Saint that we cut. This is assuming everyone is healthy.

Doesn't really matter. The problem with this whole thread is that we have assembled a defense, after firing zero position coaches that matter, a year removed from an offseason where we saw wholesale changes to the roster, where Payton said coaches and players would be held accountable (only players were) and we are no better today, some might say we are more talent depleted now, than we were 2 years ago. We are 14-21 in our last 35 games. That's a large sample size and NOTHING looks better. It doesn't feel like we are any better off.

Les Miles was fired for not adapting his offense. Why isn't Payton being held to the same standard for a never ending horrendous defense?

True, but to be fair, MC's OP illustrates how decimated by injuries the defense has been. We saw reason to think that the starters were going to be improved. I think that JL remains a disappointing move, and Byrd continues to underwhem, but nearly every other starter gave us reason to think we were going to turn the corner.

If the question is how many of our current "starters", some of which weren't even third string in camp and pre-season, would start on other teams, the answer isn't going to be very many. Why would anyone think otherwise?

(Healthy)

Fairley had a better game last night than Jordan, so I would put him above Jordan. I am not sure why Jordan isn't having as much of an impact so far this season. Is it the new baby?

Robertson has been a stud, and he would start on most teams.

Fairley
Robertson
Jordan
Moore? (he held his own with a hurt Julio)

(If injuries weren't "a thing")

Those guys previously mentioned
Breaux
KV
PJ Williams

Yeah, maybe Jordan, he might get fired up to play on a good defense. That is the issue, every down the players are looking up on the jumbotron to see who screwed up the previous play. They are all bad together. I think Fairley might start, but that is about it. . . Anthony if placed on a good team would be coached up to be a real solid player. Vacarro would if properly motivated, we have all seen him play poorly too though.

Doesn't really matter.

It does matter... Good coach speak, way to not accept excuses but we had guys starting last night on defense that not only wouldn't start on other NFL teams, they wouldn't even make the roster... Period...

You cannot win with UDFA rookies playing key roles on your team... you can't win with your top 5 corners out especially when you were short on talent to begin with. I'm not trying to defend the coaches, i think they underperformed too but our problems fall directly on the shoulders of the people making the decisions to sign free agents and drafting... When you draft poorly, you have no choice but spend money on guys who more times then not fail...

Really don't understand the love affair with robertson. He was made to look like a fool when he got out hustled by a tackle and the rb went in untouched for an all too easy td. That's one of many plays were he just doesn't have the athletic ability to be starting over Stephone. It's total bs imho.

Everyone gets my point. Injuries and below average players had us at a huge deficit from the get go last night.

Assumed starters out or gone from training camp:

Breaux
Rankins
Kikaha
Swann
Keenan
Vaccaro

Underperformers:
Laurinitus
Byrd

I say 2 maybe 3. Cameron, Fairley, and maybe Robertson.

What say you?

:worthy:

It does matter... Good coach speak, way to not accept excuses but we had guys starting last night on defense that not only wouldn't start on other NFL teams, they wouldn't even make the roster... Period...

You cannot win with UDFA rookies playing key roles on your team... you can't win with your top 5 corners out especially when you were short on talent to begin with. I'm not trying to defend the coaches, i think they underperformed too but our problems fall directly on the shoulders of the people making the decisions to sign free agents and drafting... When you draft poorly, you have no choice but spend money on guys who more times then not fail...

Your own point works against you... who do you think is in the war room deciding what players to draft? Let me give you a hint, it's not mickey loomis.

At least Robertson is tackling someone.

Laurinitis is simply now too old and slow to be remotely effective.

And Byrd turns 30 in ten days; I really don't like criticizing players on effort, but it just seems like he's playing not to get hurt at this point. He's not attacking, and while it looked like he laid out for that one ball down around the 15, I just don't think his heart was in it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom