How many saints have rings? (1 Viewer)

WhoDatHornet

Kill the Head
Reaction score
Just a question i figured some of the Saints almanacs on this site would know the answer too.
How many Saints (on our current roster) have super bowl rings?

Jeremy Shockey (although he didn't play in the SB), Randall Gay, Heath Evans (Not too sure on this one). That's all I can think of.

Shockey, Gay, Heath Evans...

I'm not sure but maybe Sharper?

Sharper came in the year that GB lost to Denver in the Super Bowl -- he just missed getting a ring. IIRC, one of the reasons he wanted to come to New Orleans was a shot at finally getting a ring.

Sharper came in the year that GB lost to Denver in the Super Bowl -- he just missed getting a ring. IIRC, one of the reasons he wanted to come to New Orleans was a shot at finally getting a ring.

... As opposed to NOT getting a ring?

Heath Evans doesn't have a ring. He come to New England in 2005.

... As opposed to NOT getting a ring?

Huh?

Some players opt to go for big bucks in free agency, some (usually those who have been around longer) opt to go to a team that looks poised to make a Super Bowl run. And yes, there's a select few that get both the big bucks and land on a team poised to make a run...

I've heard reports that one of the things that made New Orleans an attractive place for Sharper was that he felt he could finally get a ring with this team as opposed to trying to get a bigger pay day with a team that wasn't going anywhere...

So yea, he chose to take a shot at getting a ring by playing for a team he thought could make a run this year. He could have chose that a ring wasn't as important and then tried to get a bigger pay day with a team that didn't look to be as ready to make a run -- like maybe Oakland.

Huh?

Some players opt to go for big bucks in free agency, some (usually those who have been around longer) opt to go to a team that looks poised to make a Super Bowl run. And yes, there's a select few that get both the big bucks and land on a team poised to make a run...

I've heard reports that one of the things that made New Orleans an attractive place for Sharper was that he felt he could finally get a ring with this team as opposed to trying to get a bigger pay day with a team that wasn't going anywhere...

So yea, he chose to take a shot at getting a ring by playing for a team he thought could make a run this year. He could have chose that a ring wasn't as important and then tried to get a bigger pay day with a team that didn't look to be as ready to make a run -- like maybe Oakland.

Meh. Makes sense but I would imagine everybody's primary incentive towards playing would be to win a ring... or at least in the eye of the public.

The Pats won the SB in 2005.

Apparently he doesn't...

http://whodatzone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32300

One might use the word "winner" to describe Saints fullback Heath Evans, formerly of the New England Patriots.

But the 6-foot, 250-pound rock of a man is quick to put that description in context in light of the Patriots' 17-14 upset loss to the New York Giants in Super Bowl XLII.

"I got there in '05, " he said Saturday between minicamp workouts at the team's training facility in Metairie. "I don't have a ring. I'm part of that illustrious 18-1 team.

"I have a taste in my mouth that's bitter, and I crave success more than anybody in this locker room. Losing the Super Bowl like we did is tough. Being 18-1, I'll never live that down."

Pats won Super Bowl XXXIX in 2005, for the 2004 season... Heath got there a season too late.

Clancy came close, too. He was cut from the Steelers before they won theirs in 04. He spent time with the Giants and Cards, too; but wasn't there for their SB runs. Gotta think he's extra hungry to get there.

Meh. Makes sense but I would imagine everybody's primary incentive towards playing would be to win a ring... or at least in the eye of the public.
I think everyone wants to get a ring on some level... But, it's usually those veteran players who have been around a while that you hear "going with a team to get a shot at a ring".

I think there are some who do go for the bigger payday, even if it means that the new team will be "rebuilding".

But those who want to leave a mark - and I think Sharper does - are the ones who realize that their NFL career is running out so they should target a team that has a shot to go far instead of just landing on any team.

EDIT: I guess a case I could bring up is Haynesworth... Based on last year, the Redskins weren't exactly poised to make a run -- he went for money. And he could afford to, he's young enough that the Redskins could get better. In Sharper's case, he doesn't have that luxury anymore.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom