How Many Think We Can Actually Win the Super Bowl this Year? (1 Viewer)

How Many Think We Can Actually Win the Super Bowl this Year?

• Pretty Good Chance to Win SB

Votes: 62 30.7%
  • Best We Can Do is NFCCG

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Will Make Playoffs but won't advance Deep

Votes: 107 53.0%
  • Probably Won't Make the Playoffs

Votes: 18 8.9%
  • Tommy Parson (Same as Tacoes)

Votes: 8 4.0%

• Total voters
I'd love to be optimistic, bit we barely best a terrible lions team, a 1-3 chargers team and the buccs on opening day. We got smoked by Packers who I'm sure will be in playoffs. Any think we can beat them, the Seahawks or then the chiefs likely in the Superbowl???
We lost to the Packers by 7. Calm down. There are plenty of red flags for the 2020 Saints but your post is marked in extreme radicalism.

Yes.

I imagine most of us have heard the saying that "past performance is no indicator of future results". But the beauty of football history is that it typically reveals certain trends that tend to resurface over multiple decades.

When you look at teams who've won Super Bowls over the last 30 years, you will see that most of them were teams in their 4th or 5th season of "the process". Sometimes slightly less, sometimes slightly longer.

That Cowboys dynasty of the 90s? Jimmy Johnson's 4th season as head coach produced the first Super Bowl win of that dynasty.

That 49ers team that likely kept Dallas from winning 4 in a row? That was Steve Young's 4th season as their starting QB.

Brett Favre's title run? His 5th season with the Packers.

The 2000 Ravens? Their 5th season of being the Ravens, which included drafting 2 future Hall of Famers in their first draft.

The Patriots dynasty of the 2000s was an exception in that it started in both Belichick and Brady's 2nd year with the team. But, given that they seemed to have an open window for the better part of 20 years, it's not surprising that they are an exception.

But then there is Gruden's 2002 Buccaneers, a team that Tony Dungy had been building for the previous 6 seasons (it probably doesn't help Gruden's case that he never won another playoff game after that).

Speaking of Tony Dungy, he won a Super Bowl for the 2006 Colts in his 5th season. And if you like coaches who are known for being great guys and great football minds, but constantly caught flack over their postseason results.....look no further than Andy Reid, who inherited a 2-14 team and won a Super Bowl in his 7th season with the Chiefs.

And naturally we can't forget the Saints, who won a Super Bowl in their 4th season under Sean Payton.

One may think to themselves "but those were mostly 12 or more win teams..... What about those teams who got hot during the wild card round and ended up winning it all??"

Like the 2005 Steelers? Well, they had 11 wins, and just the season before, they were in the AFC title game with a 15-1 record. Not to mention they had previously been to the AFC title game in 2001......so, yet again, 4 seasons later seemed to be the trick. 2007 Giants? Both Eli and Tom Coughlin's 4th season together. 2010 Packers? Mike McCarthy's 5th season/3rd season as starter for Rodgers. 2012 Ravens? Both John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco's 5th season together with the Ravens. And not that they were a team that played on wild card weekend, but the 2013 Seahawks? Pete Carroll's 4th season.

Probably the closest example of a team catching fire unexpectedly during the playoffs was the 2011 Giants. But it's not like they were complete garbage after they won that 2007 Super Bowl. Plus, they had the added benefit of not having to make another trip to the Superdome in the 2011 playoffs. We should also make mention of the 2017 Eagles..... who are one of the few teams to ever sign multiple veteran free agents and actually be able to parlay it into a Super Bowl win.......not to mention their coach and QB both being in their second year.

So more than anything, it feels like most of those teams who supposedly got hot at the right time were really just teams who were simply "due". The NFL can certainly market the playoffs by pointing out how anything can happen, but it's usually going to be good teams that have been getting built for the previous four or five seasons that will ultimately win it all.

The Saints are presently in their 4th season of this current incarnation of their roster. Likely the last season with Drew Brees. So yes, I absolutely think they can still get it together and win it all.

Last edited:
Yeah, we simply aren't that good at this point. We have the talent, but fail to put it together pretty consistently.

This team looks like it will be a one and done playoff team against a squad with likely less talent but more ferocity and heart. I hate to say that, but that's what Im feeling..
As dysfunctional as this season and team has been- I might legitimately believe we’d have a better shot at a deep run if we lost the division but squeaked into the playoffs as a low seed with a so-so record. Idk- high seeds ain’t worked to this point. Maybe a lower seed will make them feel like their backs are against the wall and play like they have nothing to lose, rather than how it seemed to be last year.

lemme just say before I get flamed- I don’t want this to happen or believe it’s the best path forward. Just sayin it wouldn’t surprise me.

Why can't this team win a Super Bowl? Right now their chances are as good as any team in the NFC.

The score in the Packers game should have read Saints 30-Packers 20.....................refs 17. Four bogus penalties that should have NEVER been called lead directly to 17 points in that game!! I'll give them the Raiders game because the Saints were outschemed and outcoached in that one.

This team is sitting at 3-2 with the reality that they should be 4-1....................................but it is what it is.

This team has a good a chance as anyone right now. There's still A LOT of football left to be played and anything can happen. It aint over till it's over.

It is way too early to say anything right now, but as of now I can't see us winning the super bowl and defeating Green Bay, Seattle, Baltimore and K.C . I hope I am wrong and wishing for the best.
We need to correct our mistakes and move forward.

I don't see why we can't. I mean it's hard to win a super bowl, but I think if we make the playoffs then we have just as much a shot as anyone else. It all boils down to putting things together in each game. Defense stepping up, no dumb penalties, winning in the trenches especially in terms of protecting Drew, leaning on the run (when it's effective), being healthy.

My screen name was established a looooonnng time ago when the question was can we go 8-8. So he’ll yes we are going to the SB. We have just finished the preseason. It’s on now baby

The most likely scenario is the Saints make the playoffs. I give the odds of winning the South right now at about 60/40. After that, it depends on who they play in the first playoff game and how that team is playing at the time. Saints get a good matchup and are playing well, they can win their first game. Then, it depends on how that second game goes.

Seed #1 gets the only BYE:
  • Seed 2 vs. Seed 7
  • Seed 3 vs. Seed 6
  • Seed 4 vs. Seed 5
Seeds 2, 3 and 4 are the other 3 divisional winners. Being a Divisional winner here is HUGE. Much better being a #3 seed and playing at home, than a 5, 6 or 7 seed. As it is now, you figure the #1 will be either Green Bay or Seattle and the #4 will be the putrid winner of the NFC East.

Right now, it would be:
#1 Seattle
#2 Green Bay
#3 Saints
#4 Dallas
#5 and #6 Bears and Rams (I did not try to figure this tie breaker out)
#7 Arizona

(Yes, the Bucs would miss the playoff right now based on only two NFC wins vs three for the Cardinals.)

First week,
Seattle BYE (scenario possible/likely)
Arizona at Green Bay (Green Bay wins)
Bears or Rams at Saints (Saints win)
Bears or Rams at Dallas (Bears or Rams win)

Week two.
Bears or Rams at Seattle (Seattle wins)
Saints at Green Bay (Do the Saints RUN THE BALL and get the win???)

NFC Championship Game:
Saints at Seattle (Do the Saints RUN THE BALL and get the win???)

of course we can win the Super Bowl. If we get to the playoffs, which is likely, we have as good of a chance as anyone else. I'd argue we will have a much better chance. We have a ton of injuries and unfamiliarity going on and yet we are 3-2. Brees will get his mojo back when CGM returns and this time with Sanders has been invaluable. KC and Balt are beatable as is Seattle and GB. I think we have as much of a chance as any top 6 team to win the Super Bowl

We can but both sides of the ball need to improve and we need to get healthier...It’s possible but right now it doesn’t appear probable....

Good chance. Saints have played a fairly tough schedule so far, had to survive in Detroit and somehow win against a QB (who has talented playmakers) in Herbert who is elusive and can launch the ball anywhere.

N.O has plenty room to grow on offense and defense. If they can get better as season progresses then they will be in the mix at the end.

Tough matchups to start the season and some big name injuries. I'd like to start 5-0 as much as everyone else, but I'd also like to be hitting these road blocks now rather than late in the season. The pieces are there. Injuries will happen.

I think the biggest things this team needs is more focus on coaching, fundamentals and motivation.

Coaching: The defense needs to be in better positions to make plays. The offense needs to find more ways to push the ball downfield. With or without Drew. I still think Drew can huck it, accurately, downfield enough times a game to keep them honest. Either way, we need to challenge the deep ball.

Fundamentals: We all know the bias the officials have, but regardless, we need to tamp down the penalties and mental errors. The little things add up. Missing tackles, poor angles or pursuit, bad leverage, etc. Always be refining the details. When the big things like scheme, and play-calling aren't working, or weather, fatigue etc. set in, its those fundamentals that are going to make the difference. We aren't building. We should be polishing.

Motivation: It's been a weird year. For everyone. And the last couple seasons falling short is heartbreaking. We need that fire. We need that swagger back. That confidence. We need that chip on our shoulder. We know Drew has it. But I'm not seeing it from the rest of the team except Kamara who doesn't need a chip, he'll make friends with you as your ankle breaks.

I say we have just as good a shot as anyone to win the Super Bowl. It's a long season. We just need to playing our best ball come December/January.

If we make a run it will be different than any other one - in past years, we either started shaky and then poured it on by game 4 or so or we just started strong and carried it all the way through.

We're at the BYE and feeling like a .500 team so that's not something we usually totally recover from.

If M Jenkins can learn to catch while wearing a Saints uniform, the sky's the limit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom