How many years have we been needing a corner? (1 Viewer)

Robert Massey,Eric Allen, Dave Waymer and MM were the best corners we ever had and they were never on the field at the same time, could you imagine having them all playing together today. also way back when we had Tommy Meyers & Jonny Poe.

I wouldn't say he's raw, the knock on him is that he is inexperienced at top level. Playing at Div 1-AA Tennessee State meant he didn't exactly come up against the world's best passing attacks.

He was a shutdown corner who most QBs wouldn't go near - so his technique is refined enough - the question is can he hack it at pro-level.

I think it was Mike Mayock that totally trashed DRC... I'll find the vidoe clip when I get home... can't get to nfl.com from here at work. Gimme an hour or so...

Well at least the Saints don't need an entire offense. It could be worse. I was almost positive you would gamble on Pacman.

I thought we solved all of our corner issues by drafting Alex Molden???:eek:

:ipuker:
images

Well we've needed one since I went to grammar school and I'm 33 now sooo...
thinking-006.GIF

Last really decent tandem we had was probably Johnnie Poe and Dave Waymer pack in the early 80s, and even then Poe was a bit of a chancer you couldn't totally rely on.

Poe and Waymer weren't all that great. They were just average.

2005 with Mike McKenzie, Fred Thomas, and Jason Craft.

I think your being a tad generous here. Granted Thomas was a little younger here, as was Craft, but to me, we needed another one here as well.

During that time: QB was not a need, RB was not a need, WR was not a need.

So really CB did classify has one of your draft needs that year if we were also set in these key offensive positions.

Just saw First Take's Mock Draft has us taking McKelvin, and it got me to wondering how long this has been a position of need on the team. I remember thinking back in the Has days that we needed a top corner in the draft.

When's the last time we went into the draft with corner not being a big need?

And just to head off the debate, I'm not saying take a corner over Ellis or Dorsey. Just a simple question about how long this has been a need.

not long......

I think your being a tad generous here. Granted Thomas was a little younger here, as was Craft, but to me, we needed another one here as well.

During that time: QB was not a need, RB was not a need, WR was not a need.

So really CB did classify has one of your draft needs that year if we were also set in these key offensive positions.

The original poster qualified the question as
"When's the last time we went into the draft with corner not being a big need?"

Thomas was 2 years off of one of the best seasons ever put in by a Saints CB and 1 year off a contract extension. We had just acquired McKenzie, then widely regarded as the best CB in the NFC. And Jason Craft had come to us from Jacksonville with the reputation as a quality nickel.

I think we all hoped to improve the position, but going into 2005 most of us felt that it was as solid as it had ever been. Our top needs that year, by a fairly large margin, were LT, LB, and S. We drafted Jammal Brown, Josh Bullocks, and Alfred Fincher. Two of the 3 started for us as rookies demonstrating that need, and Fincher, if he had been any good, would have.

"When was the last time we went into the draft with corner not being a big need?"

In 2005

Since the Alex Molden debacle!

i know he just wasnt that good , at this time i had very little to do with the nfl.

but how exactly was his development ? was he a reach at this time ? was he the "next best thing" , was he injured ?

i just want to know more of this guy ....becauce it was the last serious run on a corner by us

The original poster qualified the question as
"When's the last time we went into the draft with corner not being a big need?"

Thomas was 2 years off of one of the best seasons ever put in by a Saints CB and 1 year off a contract extension. We had just acquired McKenzie, then widely regarded as the best CB in the NFC. And Jason Craft had come to us from Jacksonville with the reputation as a quality nickel.

I think we all hoped to improve the position, but going into 2005 most of us felt that it was as solid as it had ever been. Our top needs that year, by a fairly large margin, were LT, LB, and S. We drafted Jammal Brown, Josh Bullocks, and Alfred Fincher. Two of the 3 started for us as rookies demonstrating that need, and Fincher, if he had been any good, would have.

"When was the last time we went into the draft with corner not being a big need?"

In 2005

Spam, given the brevity of Whitsell's career, as well as Allen's, with the Saints, I have Thomas and McKenzie as the two best CBs in Saints history, as far as "longest tenure with the team of above-average CB play" as my definition.

Thoughts?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom