How many years have we been needing a corner? (1 Viewer)

Saint Tex

Delvin, Bro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just saw First Take's Mock Draft has us taking McKelvin, and it got me to wondering how long this has been a position of need on the team. I remember thinking back in the Has days that we needed a top corner in the draft.

When's the last time we went into the draft with corner not being a big need?

And just to head off the debate, I'm not saying take a corner over Ellis or Dorsey. Just a simple question about how long this has been a need.

Long long time but how many teams in the NFL also need corners? It's a tough tough position to play

Long long time but how many teams in the NFL also need corners? It's a tough tough position to play

Agreed. Most teams do need corners, it just seems that for us, year after year, it's a glaring need.

About 40 plus years.

Can't argue with that! Even in the glory days of the Dome Patrol I used to sit with my head in my hands if the opposing QB actually got the ball in the air.

Last really decent tandem we had was probably Johnnie Poe and Dave Waymer pack in the early 80s, and even then Poe was a bit of a chancer you couldn't totally rely on.

I think since the pick of Alex Molden over Eddie George we have been cursed by corners. It didn't matter who we brought it, they were destined to fail.

In the Dome Patrol years, we had Robert Massey/Vince Buck and Toi Cook. Not exactly word beaters, but the front 7 were so good, we got by. So, I guess what comes first, the chicken or the egg? If we had a decent pass rush, would our current corners be adequate? If we had superstar corners, would it hide a deficient pass rush?

we've never eally had any great corners that made a career in NOLA.

IMO

It seems like we have been trying to bring in a top notch corner forever, but in recent years it seems like we really needed one and have refused to draft one in the first (since molden). As deep as this years draft is at corner I think we have to take one in 1 or 2. Whether we take one in the top two rounds or not we really should gamble on a couple more in the later rounds. I was surprised when we cut David Jones last year

Trouble is most of this year's crop are all suited to playing in schemes where the action is in front of them - and there aren't a whole lot of guys who can play 1V1 man cover right off the bat without a lot of development.

I guess that's why everyone on these forums is so hot on DRC because he is probably the one guy who could come in and play in our schemes from day one and wouldn't have to make a quantum leap in game technique.

Trouble is most of this year's crop are all suited to playing in schemes where the action is in front of them - and there aren't a whole lot of guys who can play 1V1 man cover right off the bat without a lot of development.

I guess that's why everyone on these forums is so hot on DRC because he is probably the one guy who could come in and play in our schemes from day one and wouldn't have to make a quantum leap in game technique.
I thought DRC was supposedly raw and would need lots of work on technique before he is NFL ready.

Antoine Cason, in the 2nd, would be the best NFL ready CB IMO. He does not have the top-end speed, but he has great instincts and technique. He also has lots of experience against top competition, or at least as good as the competition gets on the West Coast...

McKenzie has been a very good CB for us, however we have been lacking #2 since he has been here (Fakir Brown probably being our best).

Ashley Ambrose first stint with us in 99 was about as close as we have been to having a great corner before McKenzie though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom