How many years have we been needing a corner? (1 Viewer)

What year did the Saints come into the league.....

Just what I was thinking. I've been a Saints fan for 15 years and we've needed corner ever since I can remember. Even when Eric Allen was here, he was just more of a stop-gap. While he was a very good player, the rest of our D sucked then.

I guess that's why I'm not as panicked as a lot of people are. If we upgrade our front 7 our corners will be serviceable.

I thought DRC was supposedly raw and would need lots of work on technique before he is NFL ready.

Antoine Cason, in the 2nd, would be the best NFL ready CB IMO. He does not have the top-end speed, but he has great instincts and technique. He also has lots of experience against top competition, or at least as good as the competition gets on the West Coast...

I wouldn't say he's raw, the knock on him is that he is inexperienced at top level. Playing at Div 1-AA Tennessee State meant he didn't exactly come up against the world's best passing attacks.

He was a shutdown corner who most QBs wouldn't go near - so his technique is refined enough - the question is can he hack it at pro-level.

He's raw technique wise and is inexperienced. He has sloppy footwork and relies too much on his athleticism. He is a lot like Young but has the elite tools. He has not exactly been a shutdown corner and teams have not gameplanned for him at his level. He will need at least 10-12 games before he'll have a chance to break the starting line up. He'll be a slot DB for the most part.. that is if he beats out Young for the spot.

I don't think any db will be ready to play coming in the league.. it'll take time to adjust and learn the intricacies of the game. His techinque is probably the worst out of the top 3 prospects. If we do take the kid, I expect the staff to bring him along slowly. He'll have to earn the staff's trust before they'll put him in the line of fire.

He's raw technique wise and is inexperienced. He has sloppy footwork and relies too much on his athleticism. He is a lot like Young but has the elite tools. He has not exactly been a shutdown corner and teams have not gameplanned for him at his level. He will need at least 10-12 games before he'll have a chance to break the starting line up. He'll be a slot DB for the most part.. that is if he beats out Young for the spot.

I don't think any db will be ready to play coming in the league.. it'll take time to adjust and learn the intricacies of the game. His techinque is probably the worst out of the top 3 prospects. If we do take the kid, I expect the staff to bring him along slowly. He'll have to earn the staff's trust before they'll put him in the line of fire.

Usama and DRC are both products of the small school circuit and both turned heads with their workouts to improve their draft day products, but personally I believe DRC is a lot further along in his development than Usama was in 2007 (and probably is now too).

Usama wasn't even on the radar for most draftniks last year until his workouts, and even then you'll be hard-pressed to find many publications (particularly print mags which have a Mid-March deadline) that featured him at all in their previews. I think this shows that at that point in time he wasn't even seen as a top five rounds pick by most of the media - and shows the importance of his workout warrior status.

The only one I can think of that rated him as a Day One prospect was PFW which predicted he would be a good special teams player and would potentially make a good safety if he struggled at corner.

DRC on the other hand shone not only in the combines but in the senior bowl, where his coverage of high-quality receivers turned heads. Contrast PFW's verdict on his with the one they gave to Young and there's a fair difference to say the least. PFW rate DRC as an 'excellent cover corner'.

You're right of course that it's very rare for a rookie to come in at CB and start shutting down the NFL's elite receivers, but looking at this year's crop I believe he's the most suited to our coverage scheme and the one least likely to disappoint long-term.

Just my opinion...

MY WHOLE DANG LIFE... I suffered through Toi Cook and Vince Buck and so many other rejects.. I remember being so happy in '89 when we drafted Robert Massey (he was good) but we traded him away two years later (still ticks me off)...

I would say the 2001 season. When Freddie T was playing solid ball and then Fred Weary went down we needed a corner.

I have only been watching the Saints since the late 80's but I think MM is def. the best cb this team has had in that time.

Hopefully we can get someone (maybe Youung or Gay can do it) to play on the other side... we don't need that other person to be a shut down type, but at least have decent coverage most of the time and hopefully the safeties won't be so out of position anymore

I just noticed a lot of ifs and hopefullies in there :/

I'm getting old and the seasons are starting to blur, but thinking about it, didn't we have a reasonable tandem in '91 and then it all went wrong with a rash of injuries and we went to the playoffs with the 5th string CB on the field...is that right or is my dementia getting the better of me again?

I wonder if they could coach Reggie up to being a CB ------------------------------------------------------:scratch: .

I don't believe we ever had 2 really good cornerbacks on the the field at the same time in any season and I've been watching the Saints since 1969. But I really like DRC with the #10 pick, the top 5 CB's from what I've seen of them are ranked so close together that taking DRC would not be that much of a reach.

Long long time but how many teams in the NFL also need corners? It's a tough tough position to play

I was gonna say the same thing, were not the only team who draft picks or free agents dont pan out to what we expect, I think positions like CB, LB, DT, OL are always gonna be need position for every team every year.....but up until getting McKenzie, every year we have been needing a corner, but thats because we bargain shop every year, depended on Veterans to make us better instead of getting younger to get better...we dont take that approach because it takes to much time, we wanna win now...but weve never been competitive, just good enough to not pick to low and not pick to high.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom