How much does a new roof cost? (1 Viewer)

Craigj

I'm need about TREE FITTY
Reaction score
Are there any roofers out there. I'm looking a purchasing a home that has an old roof. Its 1600 sq ft and its basic black shingle roof. About how much would this cost to replace?

Craig, you are looking at starting at around 5000, and increasing as you increase you shingle warranty

It's going to be a lot more if u have to tear off and remove the old ones. If its only one old layer, you can probably nail over it.

7-10K is a good guess.
Lots of variables though. How many layers of shingle are there, what is the condition of the decking under it and what do you intend to put back on the roof?

210 per square. A typical 1600 sq ft house will have 22-24 squares without garage or carport. That's tear off and put back using all new flashings and drip edge, felt and a 30 year shingle.

Don't save $800 and try to nail over an existing roof. Shingles are not waterproofing and if the roof is leaking or suspect, nailing over the existing shingles is a waste of money.

If you're in a hurricane zone, code may require the roofer to re-nail the roof decking so as to strengthen the connection of sheathing to rafter. Even if they don't require it, it's probably a good idea if the house is older and especially if it's decked with plywood without hurricane clips. It could save you a good bit on insurance, as well. Require your roofer to use new lead pipe jacks and not PVC with rubber if you intend to own the house for more than 5 years even if you have to go to the supply house and purchase them yourself.

Most municipalities now require that you remove the existing shingles down to the deck, as they have adopted the 2009 IBC and IRC as their guidelines. In most coastal areas, they also require a six nail application, which maximizes the wind warranty supplied by the manufacturer. Also, if you have 1 x 6 or 1 x 8 decking instead of plywood/OSB, you want your roofer to hand nail instead of using a nail gun, as they can't feel misses in the nail line if they hit in between boards. Make sure they line all valleys with an Advanced Leak Barrier (ice and water shield) if they install with a closed valley. As far as lead boots, they provide excellent protection, but are pricey, and squirrels love to chew on them. If you go with a neoprene 3 in 1 boot, make sure to also install a rain collar, which will double the life of your boots. Also, architectural shingles are now a "lifetime" shingle, meaning manufacturers have raised their warranties from 30 years to 50 years. I would recommend either a GAF or Certainteed product, as they have consistently put out the best products, and have the best response time in the event of shingle malfunctions.

Few more tips:

Don't pay anything until the job is complete. Red flag should go up if roofer requires any money up front.

Roofer should be in business long enough to honor whatever workmanship warranty they are offering. At the end of the day, you are buying warranties, so make sure you are confident that if you have a problem, that contractor is going to be there to honor their warranty.

Make sure contractor has insurance. Ask to see a copy of their certificate.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tips yall. This is going to be a rental/investment home so I want to make sure what I'm getting into. If any one works or has a recommendation for someone in the Lake Charles area I would appreicate it.

I do wind and hail for an insurance company, I endorse the entirety of scott B's post, except to mention the whole 50 year warranty business is bs. Your roof won't last 50 years. It won't even last 30 likely. You'll be replacing a laminate shingle in 25 years or so, but you can't get around that. Laminate is still vastly superior to three-tab, particularly for wind.

I do wind and hail for an insurance company, I endorse the entirety of scott B's post, except to mention the whole 50 year warranty business is bs. Your roof won't last 50 years. It won't even last 30 likely. You'll be replacing a laminate shingle in 25 years or so, but you can't get around that. Laminate is still vastly superior to three-tab, particularly for wind.
What do you think about a metal roof? I'm seeing those retrofitted a lot around here.

What do you think about a metal roof? I'm seeing those retrofitted a lot around here.

Depends. The current metal roofing craze is because asphalt shingles have gotten so expensive, due mostly due the massive spike in insurance claims on roofs the past 4 years as well as oil prices.mThis has made metal roofs more competitive price wise.

But most metal roofs you see going on are insurance cases, where insurance is paying for a reroof at asphalt shingle prices and the contractor then turns around and pushes a cheaper metal roof alternative, primarily a 26ga raised rib. This is as opposed to the more expensive but far superior standing seam.

I'll make it simple. Raised rib involves exposed screw heads. Standing seam does not. You see where this is going.

There's a lot to be said for metal roofs, but if you choose a metal roof, like in all things regarding your home, don't cheap out. You really do get what you pay for.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom