How much history was changed with that one no-call? (1 Viewer)

UFCSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
First of all let's assume that the Saints go on to win that game against the Rams (which most of the nation firmly believes they would have.) And that instead of the Rams it was the Saints that played the Patriots in the Superbowl. Let's also take the liberty of saying that the Saints would've beaten the Patriots (no idea if they would have but for argument's sake let's just say they had.) Here are some possible implications:

1. Brees is 2-0 in Superbowls and has now taken down both Manning and Brady. This indisputably vaunts him past Manning in the greatest-ever talk.

2. Brady is now 5-4 in Superbowls instead of 6-3. Still great but now you are talking about losing almost 50% of the Superbowls he has played instead of winning almost 70%. Makes people start to question whether the Patriots get to the Superbowl every year because of how bad the AFC is. This also adds some fuel that Brees 'might' be the GOAT instead of Brady.

3. Does Brady retire? Does he come back for one more? Who knows how he would feel after a 2nd Superbowl loss in a row.

4. Does Brees retire? Does Payton move on to another team? Again, who knows what decisions would be made if they won another Superbowl together.

5. Instead of everyone talking about Brady and his fitness/health routines this morning, they are instead talking about how he is finally starting to look old. Brees would be the one getting all the love this morning.

I'm sure there are lots more implications but the above immediately came to mind. I do firmly believe that the ref crew changed some legacies (for better and for worse) that day.

We know why we were shafted. It was proved last night. Didn’t have to watch the game to see that.

One other thing to add to this...

I think this is just another shot taken by Goodell. We all know nothing will be done until the NFL starts losing money...but I'm honestly not sure how many more punches he can take. I do think he will topple in the next few years and it will be glorious. So back to my original post...had the right call been made...Goodell might be around longer than he will be now. So a negative outcome.

What it’s going to do is make people start focusing on the refs much more. There has been a lot of scutiny towards the refs lately, and now the hot topic of being fixed. The refs and the NFL are going to have to be good boys next year as they now have a huge dose of the one thing they didn’t want. Scrutiny and questions about integrity. Every fan saw that non call. Every fan will now be watching to see and be ready to call it out next year. Lord help the NFL if the ref the Rams/Saints game poorly next year.

As some said right after the NFCCG, the blown call altered not only the result of the game, it altered legacies.

Someone with a background in economics or accounting needs to sit down and crunch the numbers and figure out just how much money the 'no-call' cost the team, the city, and the state.

The tourism value alone from winning a Super Bowl has to be in the multiple millions.

As some said right after the NFCCG, the blown call altered not only the result of the game, it altered legacies.

Tom Jackson on NFL Primetime post game, was the first one to point out how the non-call would change Drew and Seans legacy.

Just food for thought...Just say if we went to the Super Bowl and lost how would you guys feel? Despite the obvious disappointed.
After seeing the final score, I'm more convinced now than I would have been at the start of a matchup with the Patriots that we would have beaten them on Sunday. So there's no reason to go there.

After seeing the final score, I'm more convinced now than I would have been at the start of a matchup with the Patriots that we would have beaten them on Sunday. So there's no reason to go there.

Let's be fair here, patriots defense was amazing. There's no way to guarantee the saints would win.

Someone with a background in economics or accounting needs to sit down and crunch the numbers and figure out just how much money the 'no-call' cost the team, the city, and the state.

The tourism value alone from winning a Super Bowl has to be in the multiple millions.
For starters, each player lost between $59,000 (SB loser) and $118,000 (SB winner) in bonuses. That's between $3.127 and $6.254 million.

Let's be fair here, patriots defense was amazing. There's no way to guarantee the saints would win.
Nothing is guaranteed in sports. But Belichik went mostly zone because he figured he would confuse Goff. Not sure he would have tried that with Brees, and even if he did, I'm confident we would have made the right adjustments. I am almost 100% sure the Saints would have scored more than 3 points.

literally change one thing in each game in the playoffs and the saints could be no super bowls to 3 or even 4 by now...

Just food for thought...Just say if we went to the Super Bowl and lost how would you guys feel? Despite the obvious disappointed.
After '09's Chip, I've always said I don't wanna go back UNLESS we win it all. Had were lost the SB in the same fashion as the NFCCG, I don't think I would EVER get over it.

So, maybe JUST maybe this was a blessing. I don't know, but looking at it from the current perspective IT SUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom