How much will Jamis contract be (1 Viewer)

At minimum, Jameis will get the same 2021 salary as Taysom’s $16.5 million. I think he’s looking at between $16.5-21 million in 2021.

Initially I could see a cap friendly incentive contract of 1 year/$8 million, with an additional $8.5-13 million in incentives if Jameis becomes the 2021 starter for the contract to total out to $21 million. Then in 2022 offseason, Jameis gets a 4-6 year contract of $30 million per year, if he has a successful season.

Last edited:
I only see us re-signing Jameis on a 1 or 2 year deal for very cheap. Even top end backup money seems too rich for us. The market will have to die on him again for that to happen. That's based on what we can afford, not Jameis. It's easier to do with a long term contract but I don't think that's good for him or the Saints.

If I'm him, I'm targeting a prove it deal for at least close to starter money. Maybe one of these teams that drafts a rookie they don't want to start immediately. We can't compete with that kind of deal.

For the Saints to do a deal like that they will have to make sacrifices. If they do make it happen it will speak volumes about their confidence in him. I know the Saints say they are interested in bringing him back but the money will tell us just how interested.

I guess the only caveat is Jameis thinking long term and goes super cheap with the Saints regardless. He expects to earn the job and make a big time contract after he proves it. That might be a smart move but with the way the NFL works it's hard to think long term like that. A sprained ankle could see you out of the league.

All depends on what interest he gets from other teams and I think he will get interest for sure.

All depends on what interest he gets from other teams and I think he will get interest for sure.

At minimum, Jameis will get the same 2021 salary as Taysom’s $16.5 million. I think he’s looking at between $16.5-21 million in 2021.

Initially I could see a cap friendly incentive contract of 1 year/$8 million, with an additional $8.5-13 million in incentives if Jameis becomes the 2021 starter for the contract to total out to $21 million. Then in 2022 offseason, Jameis gets a 4-6 year contract of $30 million per year, if he has a successful season.

Not seeking an argument but what do either of you think happened this season to suddenly make Jameis worth between 8 and 21 million dollars?

Am I crazy to think teams will look at Payton's decision to play Taysom over Jameis as a rad flag. I would think 2020 would actually depress his value.

I thought the Winston crew argued that Payton did not play Jameis so that other teams would not poach him like they think Teddy was.

And now his market value has supposedly skyrocketed and the team will be bidding for him? One of those ideas is wrong.

Not seeking an argument but what do either of you think happened this season to suddenly make Jameis worth between 8 and 21 million dollars?

Am I crazy to think teams will look at Payton's decision to play Taysom over Jameis as a rad flag. I would think 2020 would actually depress his value.

Taysom starting was more to do with who was more comfortable in Payton’s system between the two on moment’s notice, with 4 seasons of exp versus 10 games at the time with no preseason reps.

Jameis has 5 starting seasons under his belt which included a Pro Bowl as a rookie and leading the league in passing yards. That plus his young age is worth at least $8 million, while Brees is retiring.

I think last offseason’s FA QB market was an anomaly where majority of teams had their starting QB and expected draft plans going into 2020 FA. This year almost half of the league is in the market for a starting QB or starting QB competition. There will be at least a couple of other teams interested in bringing a young QB like Winston in to start or compete.

Taysom starting was more to do with who was more comfortable in Payton’s system between the two on moment’s notice, with 4 seasons of exp versus 10 games at the time with no preseason reps.

Jameis has 5 starting seasons under his belt which included a Pro Bowl as a rookie and leading the league in passing yards. That plus his young age is worth at least $8 million, while Brees is retiring.

I think last offseason’s FA QB market was an anomaly where majority of teams had their starting QB and expected draft plans going into 2020 FA. This year almost half of the league is in the market for a starting QB or starting QB competition. There will be at least a couple of other teams interested in bringing a young QB like Winston in to start or compete.

Hight yard totals can also reflect a team that is chronically playing catch-up. Teams with comfortable leads run to bleed the clock later in the game. Teams that are behind have to throw to preserve the clock and get quick scores. Total passing yards is impressive but ironically, it can, and in Winston's case it was, a product or poor performance.

LoL after witnessing Hill's starts, I'd imagine the person teams would give a red flag to is CSP for starting him in the 1st place

Hopefully just extend the deal he’s on, 3 years at $3 million. That would definitely help out the $95 million cap problem.

No, you’re exactly right.

I’m not sure they’d see it as a red flag, but it certainly doesn’t help his case when other teams are deciding who to sign.

I’m not sure why people think he increased what teams will offer this year. There is a crazy number of QB options available for teams this offseason.

For those who think Jameis is going to get some huge bump over his $1 million salary:

his OTC valuation is currently $1.2 million. His 2020 salary was 55th among QBs, slightly below the average backup.

There is nothing pointing to him getting much more than he got in 2020. And my guess is that he would once against take $1 million or so less to stay in New Orleans and compete for this job than he would get to back up elsewhere.

It seems like anybody who can throw a forward pass can get $20M these days. For that much, I think we can get better than "W".

For those who think Jameis is going to get some huge bump over his $1 million salary:

his OTC valuation is currently $1.2 million. His 2020 salary was 55th among QBs, slightly below the average backup.

There is nothing pointing to him getting much more than he got in 2020. And my guess is that he would once against take $1 million or so less to stay in New Orleans and compete for this job than he would get to back up elsewhere.

You’re crazy if you think he’s signing for anything less than 5mil this year. He’s going to get 5-10 as a backup. 15-20 as a starter.

If the Jameis or Taymeis is how we’re going this year I’d like to see 1 year 10 mil with a 2 year 50 mil team option.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom