How often do you actually watch the national anthem when watching a regular-season NFL game on TV? (1 Viewer)

How often do you watch the national anthem during a regular season NFL game on TV?

• The anthem is NOT part of my regular TV viewing for a regular-season NFL game

Votes: 100 66.7%
  • The anthem IS part of of my regular TV viewing

Votes: 32 21.3%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 18 12.0%

• Total voters
The SuperDome is public property right? Owned by the Louisiana Stadium Expo District which is a subdivision of the Louisiana Government. Not Tom Benson.

I am not sure what stadiums are owned by NFL owners, I was under the impression that these Stadiums are all owned by the City or State in which they reside because they are used as Economic centers specifically for Tourism and Entertainment. They bring money to the state/city so they do "repay" the loans in the form of money flowing through the economy, which ultimately goes into your pocket for whatever job you do.

One of those gotcha deals huh? If the government complains, they say "go see Mr Benson", if the civilians complain, they say "go see the Governor". :hihi:

Government has no business in sports. The Government holdings should be sold to private interests. Nothing would change for the worse, jobs and tax revenues for the area would improve or stay the same.

Is Benson leasing the SD? If so, he can do as he pleases, as long as there are no stipulations in the lease agreement.

I'm a patriotic kind of guy, so I enjoy hearing the anthem... though I mute the TV for some screechy or off-key performances. :hihi:

Just a note about the protests to clear up some misunderstanding.

These protests have nothing to do with the 1st amendment. The 1st amendment allows speaking out against the government on public property. A football field is in control of the owner, and not subject to the 1st amendment. That Saints home field we love is an extension of Mr Benson's yard, so he has every right to control what goes on there. He who takes the risks and pays the bills also writes the rules.

So, the protests are fine if the owner is OK with it, or if it's on public property.

BUT!!! Why would any owner want to alienate half their customers? Why would any player want to alienate half their fans? That part I just don't get.

My intention was not to have this become a discussion of the protest issue itself, only because we've done that already - I really wanted to know if people actually watch the national anthem (if it's even shown). But I understand why people want to talk about the issue, it's current and controversial.

But for the record the First Amendment isn't defined by whether it happens on public property. Rather, the right is one of expression that cannot be intruded upon by government action where it is protected speech that occurs in a public forum. I agree with you that these protests do not implicate a First Amendment right, not primarily because of where they occur but because the entity that would be restricting their right would be the coach, team (owner), or league. None of those is a government activity and they are all free to restrict the players' expression should they choose, subject not to the First Amendment but to labor law and collective bargaining.

Yep, Isis were once slaves of the United States that only have had rights for the last 60ish years.

This analogy is dumb.

Where are you going with this? Just trying to get answers, we are getting way off the subject with the anthem.

My intention was not to have this become a discussion of the protest issue itself, only because we've done that already - I really wanted to know if people actually watch the national anthem (if it's even shown). But I understand why people want to talk about the issue, it's current and controversial.

But for the record the First Amendment isn't defined by whether it happens on public property. Rather, the right is one of expression that cannot be intruded upon by government action where it is protected speech that occurs in a public forum. I agree with you that these protests do not implicate a First Amendment right, not primarily because of where they occur but because the entity that would be restricting their right would be the coach, team (owner), or league. None of those is a government activity and they are all free to restrict the players' expression should they choose, subject not to the First Amendment but to labor law and collective bargaining.

Totally agree. There is so much misunderstanding of the 1st amendment I wanted to throw that comment in. Maybe I shouldn't have, though I tried to keep it neutral.

Totally agree. There is so much misunderstanding of the 1st amendment I wanted to throw that comment in. Maybe I shouldn't have, though I tried to keep it neutral.

All good!

Where are you going with this? Just trying to get answers, we are getting way off the subject with the anthem.

Your use of ISIS to discuss the protests in America is hyperbole at best. It doesn't warrant a serious response.

So, if ISIS shows up during the National Anthem, **** is about to get hilarious.

47357140.cached.jpg

I accidentally clicked that watching the anthem was part of my routine.... it's not... these poll options are WAYYY too close together. They need to be on opposite sides of the page. kthanxbye.

The SuperDome is public property right? Owned by the Louisiana Stadium Expo District which is a subdivision of the Louisiana Government. Not Tom Benson.

I am not sure what stadiums are owned by NFL or Private owners, I was under the impression that these Stadiums are all owned by the City or State in which they reside because they are used as Economic centers specifically for Tourism and Entertainment. They bring money to the state/city so they do "repay" the loans in the form of money flowing through the economy, which ultimately goes into your pocket for whatever job you do.

Private stadiums in the NFL are few. The Jerruhdome, Seagulls stadium by Paul Allen, the Redskins stadium, Rams stadium in LA will be, Green Bay, Dolphins stadium, New England and Giants stadium are it I believe. All others are or have been built with public money.

As far as the topic on hand, I pay no attention to it unless I am at a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I accidentally clicked that watching the anthem was part of my routine.... it's not... these poll options are WAYYY too close together. They need to be on opposite sides of the page. kthanxbye.

Okay. Make that 14.

:hihi:

First I am of the belief that the protests have hurt ratings . For me The CK protest has had the opposite effect , Always when at an even where the anthem was played I'm standing , hand on heart . But when at home it just was not the same . I'm normally doing things getting last min things ready . Not so now . I listen to the radio with earphones and they always have the anthem on ,not so much like TV. So now when I hear it in my earphones I stop what I'm doing and give it the respect it deserves and that I maybe should have in the past . So I guess I have to thank that lil bugger CK for making me appreciate our anthem much more

I don't really think about it. If I have the channel turned to the game before the anthem is shown, fine. If I turn on the game after it's been played, I don't even think about the fact that I missed it. I'm not worried about it.

I have a hard time believing the protests have led to the noticeable decrease in ratings. I think some people like to speculate about that because it did cause quite a stir, and there were some who proclaimed they would boycott the NFL because of it, but people always like to pretend they're going to quit watching something due to their outrage. I think they rarely follow through. I think the ratings falls has actually been a long time coming. Mark Cuban actually predicted this awhile back, saying "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered." The over-saturation, the unappealing matchups, forbidding players from having a personality, the terrible officiating... not to mention the conflicts with some of the election debates. I think there are a lot of reasons viewership is down, and I seriously doubt the anthem protest has much if anything to do with it.

Is Mark Cuban's 'hogs get slaughtered' comment about NFL becoming true?

i'm sure it would be a fairly easy thing to check - if viewership was ascendant and right when Colin Kap took a knee then viewership started a "negative trajectory" that would be clear

also I bet if we ran a search we might find some posters from years past giving various reasons why interest in NFL is declining well before our outrage du jour

I'm convinced it has much less to do with Colin and other guys taking a knee than it does other factors.

I stopped paying attention to the National Anthem years ago when every nobody that they paraded out to sing it tried putting their own spin on it by trying to hit notes that no human was ever intended to hit.............:idunno:

If it's there I watch it because it makes me proud, throw in a flyover and I might even have a lone little tear well up, heck depending on my B.A.C. I might even stand up at home but if I am at a game it's stand up hand over the heart no question it's what you do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom