How often do you actually watch the national anthem when watching a regular-season NFL game on TV? (1 Viewer)

How often do you watch the national anthem during a regular season NFL game on TV?

• The anthem is NOT part of my regular TV viewing for a regular-season NFL game

Votes: 100 66.7%
  • The anthem IS part of of my regular TV viewing

Votes: 32 21.3%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 18 12.0%

• Total voters
I have a different perspective. I understand this is an American tradition.

I don't have a problem with anthems and flags at international competitions, where teams are representing countries.

I don't see the need for national anthems to be played in competitions where teams from different countries are playing each other, but are not representing country, like Real Madrid vs. Manchester United or Montreal Canadiens vs. New York Rangers.

And I don't think national anthems should be part of local sports.

I think there are better times and places to honour flags and anthems.

Just an outside point of view.

It's an interesting perspective. From my point of view, outside the Olympics, there are few opportunities to see/hear the anthem. I prolly wouldn't know the song at all if it wasn't a part of our sports tradition. Except for rare occasions, I've almost never recited the pledge of allegiance to the flag. So much so that a couple of times a year I'll actually test myself to see if I still remember it.

I personally like the anthem being a part of sporting events. When tastefully done, it's actually heartwarming and a great way to get pumped up for the game. Not everyone has the same visceral response but I think enough do to make it worth the effort.

The protesting doesn't really bother me, it's the American way, heh.

Question should be: How many times do they actually show the National Anthem for regular season games? Maybe only SNF and MNF. TNF? I don't really watch it.

Question should be: How many times do they actually show the National Anthem for regular season games? Maybe only SNF and MNF. TNF? I don't really watch it.
I don't recall them showing it last night. But I believe they showed it on Monday, which vaguely seems like the routine. I'm gonna guess that only MNF airs it.

I guess I have a bias in favor of the national anthem.

As a veteran, I have accompanied the casket of a servicemember on a flight returning to the USA from Europe.

While serving as the senior enlisted on a guided missile cruiser, I have participated in a burial at sea of a servicemember who requested such action before his death.

I proudly display an American flag in my shadow box that chronicles my 27 yrs. of active duty, without shame or apology.

I was willing to serve and fight for others' RIGHT to protest anything about our country. However, I do not feel it's right for athletes to be outwardly disrespectful of the iconic symbol that stands for "...liberty and justice for all."

Perceived social injustices and other things germane to civil unrest are separate and apart, and should be addressed in an appropriate manner at the proper time and place.

Just my :tpenny:

:gosaints:

I've had to suffer through so many terrible renditions of the anthem, including one accordion and harmonica version, I usually take my last bathroom run during the anthem for regular season games.

They rarely show the anthem performance. When they do, I stand and remove my hat, just as if I was attending live.

Negative thumbs for what he said???????????????????????????????????????????

Welcome to the new America. Please take me back to the 80's where we had guns in our trucks and knives in our pockets and nobody killed each other.

Sad.

Like everyone else said they rarely show it during the regular season. But if they do then it depends on who is singing. A lot of times my games are DVR'd for the first 10 mins or so which allows me to either fast forward it if I choose. That said, if I am a fan of the singer then yes I will watch it. Or if there is a story behind the singer (Jennifer Hudson) then I will watch. Speaking of Hudson, I honestly think that was the best rendition I have ever heard. And yes...that includes Whitney Houston.

Only when it is a part of the opening of the game on TV. It's like I'm forced to watch it. And a lot of times, the person singing it is horrible.

I guess I have a bias in favor of the national anthem.

As do I.

As a veteran, I have accompanied the casket of a servicemember on a flight returning to the USA from Europe.

While I have never done that, I have been to too many funerals of friends who have died in combat.

While serving as the senior enlisted on a guided missile cruiser, I have participated in a burial at sea of a servicemember who requested such action before his death.

I proudly display an American flag in my shadow box that chronicles my 27 yrs. of active duty, without shame or apology.

I have one as well that also displays my NCO sword and scabbard along with every patch of every unit I was in over my career.

I was willing to serve and fight for others' RIGHT to protest anything about our country. However, I do not feel it's right for athletes to be outwardly disrespectful of the iconic symbol that stands for "...liberty and justice for all."

You can't have it both ways. If you were willing to fight for others' right to protest, then you can't be shocked and saddened when it actually happens. Do I like what they're doing? No, but I totally understand why they're doing it, and when I remember to tell myself that, I have less of a hard time about it. You do your thing and I'll do mine.

Perceived social injustices and other things germane to civil unrest are separate and apart, and should be addressed in an appropriate manner at the proper time and place.

That's not the point of protest. The point is to do it where you will have as much coverage about it as possible, as long as you're not hurting anyone in the process and CK has seemingly done a fine job of that. The only ones hurt are the ones who are clutching their pearls and gasping in disbelief.

:9:

I don't recall them showing it last night. But I believe they showed it on Monday, which vaguely seems like the routine. I'm gonna guess that only MNF airs it.

I'll watch it if they show it but I say I don't really watch it because they don't really air it that often.

Separate and apart from the iconic American flag. To disrespect the flag that stands neutrally for us all, and ascribe negative characteristics to it (implicit or explicit) is a straw man approach that is disgraceful.

:gosaints:

??
not attacking, just asking - if the flag is something that shouldn't be disrespected, then it follows that respecting it is the default - that's a "positive" thing, right? not a neutral thing
but without regard to whether it's positive, neutral or negative - how do we get to the "for us all" place - who gets to say what the proper vantage point for viewing the flag is?
Where would you or I or anyone get the vested power to say how someone else should or should not perceive the flag?

1) The anthem is sometimes played and sometimes not played on the national broadcast, I agree that it is shown a minority of the time. This year, I remember both teams standing in a circle for one of the home games. I remember another time when two of the opposing players were taking a knee instead of standing.

2) When the proper response to the national anthem is to stand with your hand over your heart while it is being played out of respect for your country if you are physically able to do so, and you don't do it, that IS disrespect, every time and for whatever reason.

3) It does make me angry and sad to see people not stand up, especially since I think its primary effect is to spread hate and intolerance, intended or not.

4) I know there are a few police officiers that do not behave properly and on very rare occasions these bad apples kill black people when they are in no ways threatened by them. But what I also am aware of is that government studies show officers are MORE likely to kill a white suspect, than a black suspect during an arrest. This is not the current politically correct view of our police, but it is the truth. In addition, police are more racially integrated than the great majority of professions.

SO
5) This disrespectful protest makes me both angry and sad, however it in no way reduces my desire to watch a football game.

6) Here are things that do reduce my inclination to watch:
- Officiating calls -- especially what I view as the tremendous inconsistency on PI and holding. These always seem to show up on key plays -- makes me think there is some attempt to influence outcomes.

- Long commercial breaks over 6 minutes in length.

- Poor team performance.

- Capricious changes in the rules of the game -- especially like what is, and what is not, a catch.

I've only ever stood up for the anthem when I'm actually at the events. I've never thought to do so until I heard people say they do so here. Seems kinda weird to me to stand attention for an event I'm not physically present at.

I don't remember many occasions where the anthem was televised during regular season games. Most broadcasts, there's a quick game preview from the announcers, a couple of commercial breaks and then kickoff. Only time I can remember is for some special event. Playoffs and SB, I do watch when they show it.

There is no requirement to stand for the anthem when watching it on TV or listening on the radio.

One is only "required" to stand for the anthem when in actual attendance of the anthem.

(FWIW, at movie theaters on military installations, the anthem is played before the movie and all are required to stand and place their hand over their heart.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom