How often do you actually watch the national anthem when watching a regular-season NFL game on TV? (1 Viewer)

How often do you watch the national anthem during a regular season NFL game on TV?

• The anthem is NOT part of my regular TV viewing for a regular-season NFL game

Votes: 100 66.7%
  • The anthem IS part of of my regular TV viewing

Votes: 32 21.3%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 18 12.0%

• Total voters

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Please answer honestly about the simple question of how often you watch the anthem - not whether you approve or disapprove of the protests.

Right now a popular topic in NFL circles on talk radio and mid-week written columns is the noticeable downturn in NFL television ratings - and many are discussing the impact that the national anthem protests might be having. They base some of this discussion on tweets and other feedback that they're getting from fans that don't like the players' protest. Some disagree with the protest and some say that they watch football to get away from the rest of life and the protests interferes with that process because it injects current events and politics into football.

My question is this: are people saying this because they actually watch the national anthem and it bothers them? I can understand that if someone is watching the anthem and the protest offends them, it is a very real and emotional thing that they might carry into the game and have it effect their state of mind in a negative way. I get that. What I question, though, is how many people actually watch the national anthem when watching a regular-season NFL game?

Apart from a major national game, like the divisional playoffs or Super Bowl, I don't even remember that the anthem is part of the television coverage, especially during the regular season. It seems to me that sometimes you get a "look-in" to the stadium during pre-game activities but most TV coverage pre-game is in the studio and the stuff those bozos are talking about. For the late games, they have often already kicked off (or are just about it) when the early games end. So how often is the anthem even televised?

And at that time, I'm usually doing things to get ready for the game, or eating, or checking my fantasy lineup, or possibly finishing up some chore that was I doing before the game (possibly even still driving back to my house) during those pregame activities that include the anthem. It's not that I don't appreciate the anthem or everything that it stands for (and I fully participate when I'm at game or event where the anthem is played), it's just that I don't have much of a connection at all between the anthem and watching a regular-season game on TV.

To be clear, I fully understand that some people get offended by the protests and some people think the anthem is not appropriate to make that kind of protest. I'm not questioning that at all. What I'm questioning is how genuine people are when they say that the anthem protests affect their desire to watch the game . . . because if you're not watching the anthem, you're not seeing the protest and so those two things aren't directly related.

And if you're not watching the anthem anyway but you're still being bothered by the protests to the point that you don't want to watch the game, the reason is not because the anthem protests taint your viewing experience, it's because you disagree with the protests themselves. I think those are two separate things and it is disingenuous for people to state, in a somewhat neutral way, that they just want to watch the game without having to have the politics that the anthem protests brings . . . when they're not even watching the anthem! Just be honest and say you don't like the protests and the mere fact that the protests are happening is a turnoff because you find them offensive in some way. In other words, the politics that surrounds this issue is what bothers you and not having to actually endure watching the anthem with players protesting.

Obviously, if you're at the game it's a different story because the anthem is part of the experience that you're participating in - but if you're at the game, it clearly hasn't turned you away in the same sense that these people are making that argument as it relates to TV ratings. I don't know anyone who has stopped watching football on TV because of the anthem protests - and it is my suspicion that this viewpoint is being over-represented in the discussion about ratings (and that the ratings drop is more likely attributed to the game itself and changing culture about the way we watch TV).

But to better understand what people are trying to say here, I'm very curious for an honest poll about how often people actually watch the national anthem (if it is even broadcast) during a televised, regular-season NFL game.

Only in big games have I actually seen the anthem usually it goes to commercial break before or during

Only in big games have I actually seen the anthem usually it goes to commercial break before or during
Same here.

And Chuck, thanks for bringing this up. I thought about it on Monday night when I was surfing between two channels and I changed the channel during the anthem. Once I realized what I had done, I instantly felt a little guilt.
Then I wondered how many times over the years that I have done that.

They rarely show the anthem performance. When they do, I stand and remove my hat, just as if I was attending live.

I've only remembered seeing The National Anthem play on TV in the Championship games.

They rarely show the anthem performance. When they do, I stand and remove my hat, just as if I was attending live.

I can totally appreciate that. That's completely sensible. But, like you said, it's quite rare that they even show it.

Same here.

And Chuck, thanks for bringing this up. I thought about it on Monday night when I was surfing between two channels and I changed the channel during the anthem. Once I realized what I had done, I instantly felt a little guilt.
Then I wondered how many times over the years that I have done that.

Why feel guilt? Did everyone at home stand at attention when they watched the Olympics and medal ceremonies? I've never felt the need or obligation to stand at attention to the flag because they don't even show the flag they show the performer and random people in the crowd. If someone on the street just starts singing the national anthem are we now obligated to stop and hold our hand over our heart? That would surely be a fun way to disrupt the natural flow of life, just run around and start singing the anthem so that people are forced to stand at attention. Sounds like the Eric Andre show.

It's been an interesting byproduct of this whole protest situation, that they are showing it more often now. I always find it interesting how the law of unintended consequences plays into things.

Why feel guilt? Did everyone at home stand at attention when they watched the Olympics and medal ceremonies? I've never felt the need or obligation to stand at attention to the flag because they don't even show the flag they show the performer and random people in the crowd. If someone on the street just starts singing the national anthem are we now obligated to stop and hold our hand over our heart? That would surely be a fun way to disrupt the natural flow of life, just run around and start singing the anthem so that people are forced to stand at attention. Sounds like the Eric Andre show.
I'm not really sure why.
But I'll take a shot at it......

I'm a responsible guy. I have to admit that the athletes refusing to stand for the anthem bothered me at first. Serving in the Marines was a very proud part of my life and I'm proud of our flag. As time wore on, I realized that some people will do anything for attention and now I'm kind of over it.

However, I thought that night that if I can be upset about someone disrespecting something that I'm so proud of, am I being a hypocrite by flipping the channel?

Depends on if they broadcast it or if I catch it. But I will stop and show respect if I hear it. We have it really good here in America.

Depends on if they broadcast it or if I catch it. But I will stop and show respect if I hear it. We have it really good here in America.

How often is that during the regular season? To your best recollection?

I only pay attention to it when I'm at an event. The times it's been on TV (over the years), I've never removed my hat or stood. That's meant for those who are in attendance.

If it's playing and it's on audio (at the bar, sometimes they have music going until kickoff), I listen and generally don't talk, but other than that, nothing special.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom