How overrated is Richard Sherman? (1 Viewer)

I wouldn’t call Sherman over rated over one bad SB game. A past-his-prime corner wouldn’t be making the game-sealing play in a playoff game to get to the SB, something I wish our much younger DB’s would start doing.

At his best, his talent maybe lived up to his mouth. Now, I think his mouth has finally exceeded his ability.

He is what he is. Hes a good zone corner. Plays cover 3 really well. Good reactionary skills with zone concepts with good lenght and size. He never has played man well.

According to PFF, his coverage grade of 89.2 this season was his best since '14.
Sherman's interception rate when targeted is only exceeded by one Asante Samuel.
Lowest completion percentage allowed by a cornerback, 2010-2019 (min. 250 targets)
PlayerCompletion percentage
Richard Sherman49.6%
Darrelle Revis49.8%
Antonio Cromartie50.5%
NFL Average61.4%

Yeah he's underrated at this point. He's still a slightly above-average CB. Every corner gets beat from time to time. I'd love him as our #2 CB. I don't think we'd ever sign him though, our fanbase would lose their minds.

I’d rather keep Jackrabbit if we’re signing aging corners.

Seriously? I don't get the bash the SB loser thing when we couldn't make it out of the first round and San Fran beat us. He's 31 coming off a serious injury at corner, he was a top guy in his time but now not so much.

So let me see if I've got this - you bash the concept of this thread, then provide an answer to its one and only question?

Richard Sherman is a very good CB. He's got some age and probably lost a step, IDK... but he's not bad or overrated by any means. He's the real deal and any team would be lucky to have him... including us.

I can ride with downing the 49ers. I don't like them either, and yeah... Sherman was part of our old nemesis, the legion of boom. But to downplay his abilities at CB is ridiculous. I can't ride that hate train. Not at all. He's good.

Sherman was still good this year,
That 9ers team look like they gave up in the 4th quarter.

I hope saints sign him, it would be fun to hear what he has to say about the refs.

Because....it seems like....we always get hosed....

Last edited:
He's aging now. Yeah maybe he isn't as good as he use to be. Its amazing how a single post season game can make people devalue a players entire career. There are very few man to man elite shut down CBs in the history of the NFL. Zone man or not, he was good as what he did. So lets settle down with the overrated stuff. I'll take an "overrated" talent that thrives in our system of play any day of the week.

If he wasn't allowed by the refs to hold on almost every play, he'd be a lower tier corner with good instincts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom