How Saints Fans feel about Jameis Winston (1 Viewer)

The arm talent is unquestionable and his teammates love his passion and leadership.....guys will fight for him in the huddle and that goes a long way. What is questionable is his temperament and the massive amount of interceptions he has thrown in his career. He plays with his heart on his sleeve.....is he cool-headed enough to fight through adversity and not force the ball? At this point in his career, the answer would be no.

The interceptions are very alarming. Here are his numbers:

2015: 16 games - 15 interceptions
2016: 16 games - 18 interceptions
2017: 13 games - 11 interceptions
2018: 11 games - 14 interceptions
2019: 16 games - 30 interceptions

That is well over 1.2 interceptions AVERAGED per game. I am not even counting the fumbles.

One could argue that Brett Favre was a turnover machine and won, but will Sean Payton have the patience to deal with turnovers? I got my doubts and I am rooting for him, but it would take a quantum leap for Winston in judgement, preparation and maturity to keep those turnovers down.

I am on the fence with Jameis. I understand the talent is there but there are some underlying issues I have seen throughout his career. First, is ball placement. A lot of his interceptions were simply bad balls. Either too high, behind/too far inside for the receiver. The pass usually bounces off the receivers hands or the defender catches the over/under throw. Maybe the eye surgery can fix this issue but it is noticeable.

The second issue is recognizing coverage post snap. This is usually where the bad decision making comes in. Maybe Sean Payton can help with this. I still think Jameis is the frontrunner for the starting QB position. But I think the QB competition will be close. We may need a preseason game or two to decide.

I am on the fence with Jameis. I understand the talent is there but there are some underlying issues I have seen throughout his career. First, is ball placement. A lot of his interceptions were simply bad balls. Either too high, behind/too far inside for the receiver. The pass usually bounces off the receivers hands or the defender catches the over/under throw. Maybe the eye surgery can fix this issue but it is noticeable.

The second issue is recognizing coverage post snap. This is usually where the bad decision making comes in. Maybe Sean Payton can help with this. I still think Jameis is the frontrunner for the starting QB position. But I think the QB competition will be close. We may need a preseason game or two to decide.
This year there will only be 2 pre season games, so decisions will have to be made for an opening starter during camp and how the QB's perform every day. Early on this season I anticipate we will see more rotations at QB with Hill getting his fair share of snaps. After a few games the Coach should be able to decide how to use Winston and Hill and whether Hill will revert back to his all purpose role.

JUST WIN!!!! then all of the supposed faults will be forgotten. These fans rally around winners. I think he has the best chance for us to win big this season and in the future. :gosaints:
I know I am in the minority but winning isn't everything. I have always preferred a team with high morals and a quiet dignity over win at all costs.

Hill’s completion % last year was 72.7, bringing him to 70.1% for his career.
"70.1% for his career"....lol He only played qb in 4 games. Hill doesn't have a enough of a sample size to carry your point. But I stand by my post, if Sean really wanted either Hill or Winston for the future. He would have signed them to longer deals when he could........and he didn't.

I lean JW for a couple reasons. When did Taysom last complete an entire season playing quarterback? High school, maybe?
So if we're gonna eventually end up there it just seems like running with Jameis from the jump is our best shot. Also, according to most accounts, and granted they mostly come from him, he's really trying and putting in work and would be a great story if he pulls it off.

"70.1% for his career"....lol He only played qb in 4 games. Hill doesn't have a enough of a sample size to carry your point. But I stand by my post, if Sean really wanted either Hill or Winston for the future. He would have signed them to longer deals when he could........and he didn't.
I don't take it as a show of not having faith. One-year prove-it deals aren't terribly uncommon for veteran players who may bounce back or not improve.

I’ll tell ya what, I think he’s gone to work in the right way, I think he’s serious about being our leader, however, I also think Hill has a special effect on this team that can’t be overlooked.

I love the drive, but ultimately, he needs to prove he is the man.
Hill's "special affect" on the team isn't felt when he's @ QB

The Risk reward on Winston: I agree with most of the critique about Winston. In Tampa he made bad decisions off the field and bad decisions on the field. His stats never translated in to Ws in Tampa. That said, I feel he offers us the most solid chance to win on Sunday this coming season on a one yr deal. IMHO I feel Winston nor Hill will even be on the team next year as QBs. Hill never really became the 60% passer Sean wants in his QB, and Winston, though talented and seemingly committed to learning. He doesn't meet the leadership (on and off the field) threshold to be the future Saints QB to build with.
Really? Seems to me that he doing and saying all the right things and has completely turned the corner. We would be more than lucky if this turns up aces for us. The number one overall pick and Heisman trophy winner for nothing at all and we got him from a division rival.

The man has all the intangibles and if Sean can turn Taysom, Chase Daniels, Tony Romo and others into NFL QBs we should all be VERY excited.

I can't wait to see what this looks like on Sunday this fall and in Coach I trust!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom