How Saints Fans feel about Jameis Winston (1 Viewer)

I know I am in the minority but winning isn't everything. I have always preferred a team with high morals and a quiet dignity over win at all costs.
It's really sad that the majority here don't believe in redemption or reformation.

Doesn't seem very Christian to keep someone down for past mistakes, misdeeds and judgement when they have obviously have been trying to turn their life around.

Give this young man a chance and if it works out it will be to the benefit of the team that you are obviously a passionate fan of.

I'm still in the minority that thinks Book will be the future at the position but I wont deny the talent of Winston and how well he can/will perform in a Sean Payton lead offense.

My only question is his fit, is he a rhythmic passer can he make the routine throws look routine and keep the drive alive or do we have to take the good with the bad in terms of the return of the deep ball but the demise of the intermediate passing game.
Book ticks a LOT of boxes that CSP covets in a QB, especially in his preferred system. We won't know until he gets the reps in. I am in the minority, as well and looked HARD at a lot of film on Book and have been touting him since pre-draft. If CSP hadn't picked maybe 1 of the top 2 QB's, he wasn't going to pick any except Book. He has good anticipation on his throws and love his "feet" when he isn't being a bit anxious and "footsy".

Here is a re-post of what my take was on Book:

Pros: Book has pretty good pocket awareness and can escape a LOT and still keeps his eyes downfield and made some pretty ridiculous and accurate throws running, in awkward positions. Having active feet, ability to escape pressure, anticipation of throws and keeping eyes downfield are the intangible attributes at QB that you sort of have naturally or instilled early in playing career by HS or don't. You can only coach that into a player to a certain level once they have entered the NFL, but if not built into their football DNA, tough to instill. His pre-snap reads mostly are pretty quick and seems to diagnose fairly well, too.

Cons: His release is a big windup and a bit slow but has good touch on the "deep" ball despite limited arm strength. He is a bit "too footsy" sometimes and doesn't set up quick or solid in his foundation when he is "footsy". That can be coached. His release can be coached. His O line had some HORRIBLE moments and not great schemes offensively. He needs to drive the ball a bit more sometimes...again, refining the technique and setting up faster to have his power transferring from bottom up (hip rotation, etc). His negatives are coachable when it comes to release/windup and set up. He just has a bit of something that is intriguing with his running ability, active feet. As coach and trainer, I always look for active feet and set up. For the most part, he wants to do that...but sometimes he just doesn't.

The pros seem to outweigh the cons, as in the pros show what he is capable of and the cons are when those pros just weren't happening...LOL. I could actually see him being able to produce in a Sean Payton offense. His best best would be to go to the Saints with a great chance of developing that he wouldn't have on other teams. His success in the NFL is a 55% right now but I think he is a player CSP has an eye on with his intangibles fitting the mold he likes in a QB despite some height and arm strength which are "sexy" attributes but don't mean the player will be a good QB in the NFL or your system as a fit. Some players just seem to have a little something and some issues that are able to easily coach up. Some you just "HOPE" as a project. I think he would be a little more than a project. Franchise QB year 1 or 2...NO...possible progress and build within a system to have a shot at being "the guy" in the NFL, I will go on a limb and say yes, in the right situation.

It's really sad that the majority here don't believe in redemption or reformation.

Doesn't seem very Christian to keep someone down for past mistakes, misdeeds and judgement when they have obviously have been trying to turn their life around.

Give this young man a chance and if it works out it will be to the benefit of the team that you are obviously a passionate fan of.
I apprcrate the response. The OP asked for our opinions so I gave mine.

I don't know if I am a Christian or not. I believe in the existence of Christ but I question his divinity. So I won't say it's my job to be forgiving or not.

I would find it easier to accept JW if he were to own up to his past. How do I forgive someone who just paid his way out of trouble and showed no real contrition? I would also say that rape is right up there with being a pedophile in my opinion. Both are preying on someone weaker.

I have a family member that was raped 30 years ago. It still effects her today. Look I have 3 daughters 3 grand daughters, this is something that has effected my life. I don't care if someone posts a silly negative rep. The OP asked for opinions. I shared it.

I don't believe anyone is going to change their opinion of JW based on anything someone on this thread posts.

It is not about being un-Christian or flat out knocking him for past personality or ego. No one really cares about that. That seems to be in the past and I think everyone has given him a clean slate on maturity and optimistic attitude! He is a product and football is a product based sport. When his commodity shows things that were tried to fix in the past and still didn't change the product he was able to present in the NFL, you have concerns. Yes, he will be and is given every chance, but there are things in his football DNA that are concerning and outweigh the ability to throw the "long ball". He is being judged by past, because those are the things that are the hardest to re-invent.

I acknowledge his work ethic, attitude and it speaks volumes that so many people in the NFL truly really like Winston. There is no reason not to. There is a lot of UNDO he has to achieve before he can DO as a winning NFL passer. It will only come to contrition when he can consistently show it on the field. You can't knock intent or POTENTIAL, but intent and potential don't equate wins.

Hill is scrutinized by people who see flaws or concerns in his game...it isn't personal. Brees was under HARD scrutiny. When he was having troubles in his own passing game, people piled on him...that doesn't mean they didn't like him, respect him, was being un-Christian or being personally judging...they are judging what they expect as a product.

...and yes, he is being given those chances in SPADES here and I hope, even for his own career salvation, he can achieve and succeed here or elsewhere. He has the right mindset and physical tools...and young.

Really? Seems to me that he doing and saying all the right things and has completely turned the corner. We would be more than lucky if this turns up aces for us. The number one overall pick and Heisman trophy winner for nothing at all and we got him from a division rival.

The man has all the intangibles and if Sean can turn Taysom, Chase Daniels, Tony Romo and others into NFL QBs we should all be VERY excited.

I can't wait to see what this looks like on Sunday this fall and in Coach I trust!
It will be a fun season, watching the new team and QB bond together. Right now, we got 9 wins in us.........if we don't turn the ball over, and no big injury run at one position. I can't wait!!

It will be a fun season, watching the new team and QB bond together. Right now, we got 9 wins in us.........if we don't turn the ball over, and no big injury run at one position. I can't wait!!
I agree with that. I don't think we see as much "surgical" plays and execution on O or D, but a lot more "WHOA" plays this season than in the last few seasons! It will be a ride!

I don't take it as a show of not having faith. One-year prove-it deals aren't terribly uncommon for veteran players who may bounce back or not improve.
Correct, But only as a stop gap guy. Let's say. Winston has a monster year, wins a playoff game. Throws for 4600yds 27 Tds 14ints. Ok, now Winston is a free agent, free to negotiate with any team. Why would Sean put him self in such a poor leveraged position, If he didn't already know what he has in Winston?

I don't know if I am a Christian or not. I believe in the existence of Christ but I question his divinity. So I won't say it's my job to be forgiving or not.

I would find it easier to accept JW if he were to own up to his past. How do I forgive someone who just paid his way out of trouble and showed no real contrition? I would also say that rape is right up there with being a pedophile in my opinion. Both are preying on someone weaker.

I have a family member that was raped 30 years ago. It still effects her today. Look I have 3 daughters 3 grand daughters, this is something that has effected my life. I don't care if someone posts a silly negative rep. The OP asked for opinions. I shared it.

I don't believe anyone is going to change their opinion of JW based on anything someone on this thread posts.
God bless you man. I have 1 step daughter and it was hard for me when she started dating. I’m with you on rape being a life changing event and if someone had ever done that to my stepdaughter I would kill them and come back home wash my hand and eat dinner without batting a eye.

True on that! Also, I never meant to offend, so accept my apology please.

I prefer not to discuss my loved ones who have been raped because it is more than 1 and there is no exception to be more than 0 and it's absolute horrific act that paints all men violent creatures. I and the men I associate with are none of the above but perhaps crucible for change from violence and patriarchal dominance.

I have never been a fan of JW and have also been offended by his actions and behavior. So your opinion I respect.

But he is now our QB and DB gives his support and knows him on a deeper level than we ever will so I accept that as a man repented. I will never forget who he was though but will support my Saints none the less.

Oh, one last thing, I am a Buddhist but I was born and raised in Nola and know that most people in the region are Christian in faith. I fully support your spiritual beliefs whatever they may be.

In the end I am just a lowly Saint fan and don't want to rock the boat, just trying to support our players and team.

I will never be a fan of Winston. If he wins the job as the starting QB, I will still root for the Saints, despite the fact I think the QB is a complete knucklehead.
I’m a huge Taysom Hill fan, and while I understand that he’s not as advanced at QB as many others... and he may be more valuable as a movable chess piece throughout the offensive scheme, I want him to win the job just because I don’t want Winston to be the guy.

In all honesty, I’d rather see Ian Book win the job over Winston... really anybody over Winston

True on that! Also, I never meant to offend, so accept my apology please.

I prefer not to discuss my loved ones who have been raped because it is more than 1 and there is no exception to be more than 0 and it's absolute horrific act that paints all men violent creatures. I and the men I associate with are none of the above but perhaps crucible for change from violence and patriarchal dominance.

I have never been a fan of JW and have also been offended by his actions and behavior. So your opinion I respect.

But he is now our QB and DB gives his support and knows him on a deeper level than we ever will so I accept that as a man repented. I will never forget who he was though but will support my Saints none the less.

Oh, one last thing, I am a Buddhist but I was born and raised in Nola and know that most people in the region are Christian in faith. I fully support your spiritual beliefs whatever they may be.

In the end I am just a lowly Saint fan and don't want to rock the boat, just trying to support our players and team.
Zero offense taken.

Don't underestimate how much getting corrective eye surgery can improve visual tracking (which is different than accuity). This in itself could cut down on interceptions.
Sure that will help, but the biggest improvement will be due to the transition from Dirk Letter and Bruce Arians to Sean Payton...

I will never be a fan of Winston. If he wins the job as the starting QB, I will still root for the Saints, despite the fact I think the QB is a complete knucklehead.
I’m a huge Taysom Hill fan, and while I understand that he’s not as advanced at QB as many others... and he may be more valuable as a movable chess piece throughout the offensive scheme, I want him to win the job just because I don’t want Winston to be the guy.

In all honesty, I’d rather see Ian Book win the job over Winston... really anybody over Winston
I am hesitant trusting Winston with the ball in his hands most of the time throughout a season...and without the running ability, as well.

I am not a total "anti-Winston" as many would believe, I look at film and make as honest, truthful assessment as I can formulate from really understanding the QB position at a deep level. I can go with seen recently from Hill and only go with what I have seen in GAME snaps, including the 49ers game of Winston. So, I have to wait and see what Winston does coming up to truly evaluate him...but, I have a good feeling of where he will stand as NFL QB moving forward.

With Hill's progress as a QB, if you look at his 4 starts last season and look at previous years passing film (preseason and spot duty) his footwork is better and his throwing motion has changed. He had a kink in his release where he would "muscle" it and almost stop his over the top release to a sort of side arm follow through. He has progressed a lot more than people give him credit for.

I don't have the same "hard line stance" you have, but my "gut" is kinda with you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom