How Saints Fans feel about Jameis Winston (1 Viewer)

Drew was in the pro bowl with the Chargers before he got to the Saints. He was a very good QB already when he came to the Saints. Marty wanted Drew, not Rivers, but the owners made the choice to go with Rivers.

Look at those completion percentages and TD/Int ratios.
He had one decent year with San Diego.

Look at those completion percentages and TD/Int ratios.
He had one decent year with San Diego.

Yes, but I watched him play in SD since he was drafted because I lived in SD back then. It was pretty clear that he was a star in the making. I don't think that Winston has the same "it" factor that Drew had, but the potential is certainly there for him to be a very good QB if he can clean a few things up. His head is definitely is the right place. Hopefully, he can put it altogether.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Payton go with Book next year, if not this year for that same "it" factor.

Yes, but I watched him play in SD since he was drafted because I lived in SD back then. It was pretty clear that he was a star in the making. I don't think that Winston has the same "it" factor that Drew had, but the potential is certainly there for him to be a very good QB if he can clean a few things up. His head is definitely is the right place. Hopefully, he can put it altogether.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Payton go with Book next year, if not this year for that same "it" factor.
Your last sentence is a very overlooked point. I like Winstons physical skills and what he can do with the ball. I also believe in personal growth and maturity. Which is why honestly I want to see him succeed. If he can put his game together with Payton the man can be incredible. Or he’s out next year same as Hill. Book though is more of the Brees sort of player (unknown and unproven of course) that could make the background interesting. Unless on of the two main guys has the best season they ever had and grow considerably I’m keeping my eye on Book. Him getting the starting job next year I don’t think is too far of a stretch to believe may happen

Maybe. I am putting my trust in Sean Payton. I think he will turn Winston into a perennial all pro.
I'm pulling for Jameis, who is just coming into his prime QB years. I wouldn't be surprised if he and Payton pulled it off. I do wish he would act more mature, maybe that will come too.

Agree. If you haven't watched that full, hour long scouting of Winston, do so. There are times with a good throw in a tight window for a few yards, but you see at least 2 other options missed for more yardage or just a better option open. A lot of the even "positive" throws had missed reads around it. Of course, every QB will miss a read, hold the ball too long, toss an INT, etc. BUT, I ended up seeing a lot still left on the field with even the "WIN" completions. Hill held the ball too long at times in the Philly game, he missed 1 WIDE OPEN read. He was sacked by his own fault at times but that wasn't the collective of his entire game and what caused us to LOSE.

I am in a minority of thinking that Winston has LESS ceiling than Hill. I think Winston has almost reached his ceiling as an NFL QB. That has NOTHING to do with arm strength. I judge it by what can you realistically accomplish. Jeff George had all the physical tools to make all the throws, but I don't think a ceiling should be measured by arm strength. "He can make all the throws" is not an accurate description, does he have the TOOLS to make all the throws, yes, but Jameis just hasn't in his NFL career. Hill keeps getting better and has a lot of intangibles already in place to add to his progressing QB position. Winston has a strong arm. I think Hill can progress to a point that Winston can't get to as a whole package QB, IMHO. If just go by "if Winston changes his entire game, mechanics, footwork and mental game", I guess the sky is the limit for "ceiling".

People look at Hill and say he could be an "all-pro" tight end. What is the realistic ceiling for that...LOW. He is not a natural TE, not a natural every down pass catcher, etc. He can block in spot duty, he is fast, he has shown he can catch the ball, but it is not a natural part of his football DNA and he would be way far behind any career, mediocre TE who has played the position over years or even a WR converted (since a lot translates). Winston can progress and get better, but to what degree to be a winning QB who can take the game on his shoulders, rally the team and WIN? He might surprise us and if does it will be one the most incredible re-inventions of an NFL player I have ever seen.
Yeah, but the thing is he's still better than Taysom...

🚂 Choo-Choo!!!

I’m not a fan... He’s got talent, and he may be saying all the right things... but he’s been accused of sexual offenses on more than one occasion, been suspended by the NFL, and I just don’t believe him.
I hear ya but put yourself in his shoes. Being catered to throughout high school and the a god in college without good guidance … i don’t forgive the wrongs and I’ve disliked him his entire career but he’s with us now and I’ll give him a shot to prove he’s grown.

Drew was in the pro bowl with the Chargers before he got to the Saints. He was a very good QB already when he came to the Saints. Marty wanted Drew, not Rivers, but the owners made the choice to go with Rivers.
I remember that after Marty got fired by A.J. Smith (the chargers GM) he was a guest host on Sirius and often stated that he wanted to keep Drew but Smith over ruled him and drafted Eli just to trade him for Rivers. As an insurance he had already used the franchise tag on Drew to keep him for a year to get either Eli or Rivers a year in the system before whoever he ended up with and then let Drew walk. He never even tried to get an new deal with Drew during the '05 off season.

This is the same GM that let LT and Sproles walk.

Yes. Drew Brees, if watch him in college had accuracy, anticipation and one the biggest attributes in a QB that almost always translates to the next level...great feet. That doesn't mean they can run well/fast but their dropback, set up, their foundation, the ability to set and reset. Aspects of their mechanics that if not great, are those errant mechanics coachable. His mental game. He already had the makings of a good qb and those are things that led to his success as a qb. Some players have it.

Stats are very subjective, as well. What was the situation of INTS. What is the big picture of a player at their position. Comparing Brees to Winston, even early NFL Brees is just grasping at straws...and that isn't homerism. Stats never tell the whole truth. Brees and other really good qbs didn't throw pick 6s on wide open 5 yard outs with frequency or make a bunch of throws that I would be shaking my head at with my HS starting qb.

Yes. With that detailed, concise and factual argument how I could I have been so wrong.
I'm just staying facts. You have me confused with someone who is trying to convince you. You're not using logic to make a decision. You're using emotion. Nothing I can say or do will change your mind, so why would I waste the time.

I'm just staying facts. You have me confused with someone who is trying to convince you. You're not using logic to make a decision. You're using emotion. Nothing I can say or do will change your mind, so why would I waste the time.
You have that completely flipped, my friend. My assessments or nothing emotional...hours of film study, knowing the qb position from years of playing, coaching and training with AFL, CFL and NFL players. Understanding translatable football and skills to the field of play, tendencies, mechanics, judging players ability vs potential and production, et all. I am the least emotional when formulating an assessment of football product.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom