How Saints fans turn to GMs every draft weekend (1 Viewer)

Itā€™s absolutely comical reading how many ā€œfansā€ think they are an expert at selecting NFL players for an actual NFL franchise.

Teams spend millions of dollars in visting, interviewing and evaluating the best possible talent to fit a need on the team.

Fans read online mock drafts and sports writer opinions, and then form their own opinion and believe they know better than Micky Loomis, Jeff Ireland and Sean Payton.

Nobody in the history of the league gets every selection correct. However, the Saints have had a winning program for many years under this administration, yet fans still believe they know better than the team itself who we should select.

Comedy Gold!

Itā€™s absolutely comical reading how many ā€œfansā€ think they are an expert at selecting NFL players for an actual NFL franchise.

I've made my peace with it. Many just love football so much that they become desperate to be a small part of it in any way they can. I can't blame anyone for that.

My main laughing point is that frequently don't seem to realize they are just spouting the same buzz words and spin that they hear on ESPN over and over and they start to believe their "take" ( <--- see I used one for you,) is something unique and special. In truth I've already heard most of it 100 times before. LOL

Teams spend millions of dollars in visting, interviewing and evaluating the best possible talent to fit a need on the team.

Fans read online mock drafts and sports writer opinions, and then form their own opinion and believe they know better than Micky Loomis, Jeff Ireland and Sean Payton.

Nobody in the history of the league gets every selection correct. However, the Saints have had a winning program for many years under this administration, yet fans still believe they know better than the team itself who we should select.

Comedy Gold!
While all of this has some truth to it. But let me ask this:
If an NFL franchise has every tool imaginable, to research, scout, visit, etc every player that is draft eligible. With more time than any fan (or armchair GM), then what does that say about a franchise that botches any given draft? By what a lot of you say, they are the professionals right? They do this for a living right? Then, by that token.....they should be more spot on, than spot off. While itā€™s nice to think that every high ranking official in their respected field (trade) is making the right decisions....thatā€™s just not an accurate statement. Do they have more experience? Absolutely. Do they have more resources? Without question. But does that make them above any mistake or being wrong? Nope, not at all. The draft is purely a gamble. Nothing more. If a team comes away with at least one contributor, then cool. If two, even better. If three, the more the merrier. No team aces their draft year in and year out. So, letā€™s not say that fanā€™s opinions hold no water, when teams are making just as many mistakes as they are. Fans ARE allowed to have their opinions on who they want their team to select. Itā€™s all part of the inclusiveness of loving your favorite team. Shouldnā€™t bag on someone bc they carry a level of passion for their team come draft time. Frankly, I love the emotional rollercoaster ride of watching happiness, the melts, and the anger from all fans in regards to picks.

Fans ARE allowed to have their opinions on who they want their team to select.

I don't think anyone is trying to say they aren't. As someone who has floated around on this site for a long time now I can pretty much tell you the problem isn't so much what is said, but how it is said. A ton of the amateur "draft experts" present their opinions not as just opinions but as facts and as proof this team is making dumb decisions. I know it. You know it.

That "I'm right, period" attitude is what causes most of the pushback. Like it or not, many people come here to enjoy being a Saints fan and not to be made miserable about it. They are gonna react when people are telling them their team sucks and more or less, that is what you are doing when you slam a team's picks. Even if that is not what is intended, that IS a way a lot of people are going to interpret it.

I don't think anyone is trying to say they aren't. As someone who has floated around on this site for a long time now I can pretty much tell you the problem isn't so much what is said, but how it is said. A ton of the amateur "draft experts" present their opinions not as just opinions but as facts and as proof this team is making dumb decisions. I know it. You know it.

That "I'm right, period" attitude is what causes most of the pushback. Like it or not, many people come here to enjoy being a Saints fan and not to be made miserable about it. They are gonna react when people are telling them their team sucks and more or less, that is what you are doing when you slam a team's picks. Even if that is not what is intended, that IS a way a lot of people are going to interpret it.
Extremely fair point. Perfectly said.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom