Article How Saints Michael Thomas is Wired Like 'Ultimate Competitor' Michael Jordan (1 Viewer)

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score

METAIRIE, La. -- Yes, of course. New Orleans Saints receiver Michael Thomas said he has “most definitely” been inspired by ESPN’s "The Last Dance," the 10-part documentary on Michael Jordan that aired the past five weeks. A lot of people have been.

But Thomas is viewing it through the lens of a kindred spirit.

If you have spent any time around the NFL’s reigning Offensive Player of the Year, it’s impossible to not be struck by his similarities to Jordan in their approach and intensity.

Quarterback Drew Brees has called Thomas perhaps the most competitive teammate he has ever had. Coaches and teammates describe an almost maniacal level of passion on the practice field. Saints coach Sean Payton once told NFL.com that he felt like he got hit by a car when he made the mistake of standing in as the defensive back across from Thomas during a walk-through session.

All you need is a social media account to appreciate the way Thomas is fueled by any perceived slight, as he showed during his recent war of words with Miami Dolphins receiver DeVante Parker.

“I feel like there’s not many things not to like about Jordan if you’re the ultimate competitor, if you want to win, if you want to be the best,” said Thomas, who said his dad was a “huge fan” of Jordan’s and instilled some of the same characteristics and habits in him. “And there’s a lot that comes with that, so there’s not that many people that you can relate to at that level.

“When you get a person like that, at the highest level, to pretty much open up about the whole thing, it allows you to stay honest and realize who you are. Because I feel like the level Jordan played at is not for everyone .... And you need examples like that. I’ve been studying a lot of great documentaries and movies and reading and just studying how they prepared their craft back in the days and testing it against how I prepare and stuff like that. Because I feel like if you study those guys and you line ‘em all up, you see a lot of key characteristics that they have that others don’t."

The rest is worth a read. Lots more than the teased quote. Michael Thomas is the kind of player we all hope plays his entire career here and retires a Saint. I know I do, at least.

This is the difference between trading a WR for picks and signing one to a record breaking contract.

The big difference is that Jordan was much smarter about how to handle business than Thomas. Yes, twitter is a disease that afflicts the younger modern era, but I highly doubt that MJ would have opened himself up to be portrayed in a negative light. I love Michael Thomas's drive, competitiveness, and work ethic, but I wish that he was a more private person.

The big difference is that Jordan was much smarter about how to handle business than Thomas. Yes, twitter is a disease that afflicts the younger modern era, but I highly doubt that MJ would have opened himself up to be portrayed in a negative light. I love Michael Thomas's drive, competitiveness, and work ethic, but I wish that he was a more private person.
You really think MJ would be any different if he had social media during his time? Heck, Lebron was pretty quiet till social media exploded on the scene.

You really think MJ would be any different if he had social media during his time? Heck, Lebron was pretty quiet till social media exploded on the scene.

I think that is one of the more compelling aspects of "The Last Dance" is that Jordan was a very private person, so much of the drama that was occurring his life was guarded from the public. He never invited public scrutiny...he was just too smart for that. He's a savvy businessman.

I think that is one of the more compelling aspects of "The Last Dance" is that Jordan was a very private person, so much of the drama that was occurring his life was guarded from the public. He never invited public scrutiny...he was just too smart for that. He's a savvy businessman.
Different times.

You basically need social media to push your brand now. Peyton Manning is the only big sports star I can think of who doesn't have someone run social media for him. Every other big star has their endorsement brands and publicists push them to get a social media. Jordan definitely would have had one. He may not have utilized it himself, rather he'd let a team tweet basically ads and sponsorships for it, but his brand is too powerful that Nike and Gatorade would have basically demanded he set up social media accounts.

Mentioning the Parker feud that just happened, Thomas points out how Parker has been in the league one year longer than him and yet he still has more catches and yards. The thing Thomas doesn't mention though is that if you minus last years catches and yards he STILL has more than Parker.

It's fascinating how some players have this kind of drive from within while others are just happy to be rich and in the NFL. For some that was the goal, make it to the NFL and be set for life. Obviously those were goals for MT as well but I think his ultimate goal was to be the best WR on earth. Right now he's arguably the best WR in the league. If he stays healthy and keeps working there will be no more argument.

For his drive to stand out like it does on a team full of hard workers, it must be incredible to see.

Mike's game is mostly mental, just gutsy determination to win every play. Like Jordan, Mike goes all out on every play. He has a great motor, and never takes a play off. He and Drew are always on the same page and Drew trusts Mike on the tight windows. The only rap against Mike is "he doesn't have breakaway speed". That's a little misleading because he always gets the ball in traffic. When he does get loose, he's hard to catch. He's easily the best 4 down WR in football.

Only public scrutiny could be how CGM creates pressure on himself that pushes him to constantly improve...

Michael Jordan was a heavy trash talker and if he had Twitter or any other means of social media back then he would've certainly been on it and so would other players in that era. Sports was to competitive back then for them not to

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom