How successful do you see other big name FA's with their new teams? (1 Viewer)

St. PJ

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I will not speculate on our team. The reason for this post is to question the fit and probablity of success of other free agents signings by other teams. For example, Samuels had a pretty good defensive front to play behind in New England. How much impact can he have in Phili, do they have the DE's to get the kind of pressure Jim Johnson likes to bring? Or look at the pair of DT's Cleveland traded for. Will a change of scenery and proximity to each other be enough to motivate them to give all of thier effort on every play? Does Crumpler have much of a chance with Vince Young throwing to him? Will Justin Smith be a good 34 DE in San Fran? We can go down the list, but do yall have anything to add or any thoughts on the questions already posed? Just curious. Which teams other than ours has made moves that make sense, not only in terms of need, but in terms of the particular skills translating to the particular schemes those teams run.

I will not speculate on our team. The reason for this post is to question the fit and probablity of success of other free agents signings by other teams. For example, Samuels had a pretty good defensive front to play behind in New England. How much impact can he have in Phili, do they have the DE's to get the kind of pressure Jim Johnson likes to bring? Or look at the pair of DT's Cleveland traded for. Will a change of scenery and proximity to each other be enough to motivate them to give all of thier effort on every play? Does Crumpler have much of a chance with Vince Young throwing to him? Will Justin Smith be a good 34 DE in San Fran? We can go down the list, but do yall have anything to add or any thoughts on the questions already posed? Just curious. Which teams other than ours has made moves that make sense, not only in terms of need, but in terms of the particular skills translating to the particular schemes those teams run.

Samuel to Philly makes perfect sense to me. Jim Johnson is a defensive genius, and knows how to get his players to consistently rush the QB, no matter who's a part of his personnel.

Crumpler to Tennessee is a mystery. It all hinges on VY's development. One thing is for sure, and that is players rally around him like no one else, which can't be underestimated.

San Fran is slowly but surely putting together a good D. They have systematically added components to each level of defense. Now they have impact players on the line (Smith), LB (Willis) and the secondary (Clements). Now all they need to do is surround them with a good supporting cast and that D could be formidable.

Samuel should be fine in Philly. If there's one thing they strive to do, it's get pressure on the QB. I think Philly made a pair of good moves with Samuel and Clemons, but they spent a ton of money to do it.

Crumpler.. Maybe. Hinges on Vince Young. I still think he can be an effective player, but I don't know if Young can get him the ball.

Smith is as good a fit in San Fran as anywhere else, but I don't think he's a particularly good player. Two sacks last year? Come on.

Regarding Smith, I know some DE's are best on 43 defenses. A guy like Will Smith wouldn't make it on a 34, the same way Vilma wouldn't. Do you think Justin Smith has the body and skill sets to be good as advertised in San Francisco's 34? It looks good on paper to the average fan for sure, but have you seen anyone go from one system to another, and in the offeseason and on paper it looks great, but once bullets fly he doesn't pan out because his skills don't translate to his new responsibilities in the new scheme? The adverse is true also. Guys average in one system can go to another that better fits and utilizes their strengths and looks like the second coming. That is more of the vein I am mining. I do not have suffiecient knowledge, save regurgitated information I get from multimedia and you guys to form an educated opinion. If I knew football that well, which I wish I did, this would be a very different thread, and I would be trying to make a living using that knowledge. I don't expect everyone to have the kind of anwers I am looking for, but I know there are guys out ther like Spam who could probably cut to the chase for me. Don't take this the wrong way, this thread is meant for speculation and fun. It is meant to be a break from the norm on this board. Take your best shot, I won't criticize anyone, I am just trying to clarify what I am after for those who can give supply those anwers. For everyone else like me without Coach like understanding of the finer points, have fun with it and speculate away.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom