How to find stock prices from 2000 (1 Viewer)

geauxboy

Boo Boo Bear
Reaction score
Hey,

I am looking for the ACTUAL stock price for ExxonMobil on Sept 15th 2000. We have found many different prices. Some say around $80 (Yahoo Finance), but Exxon's site shows $44. How do I find the actual closing price and which one is accurate?

:1zhelp:

TPS

Reaction score
>>I am looking for the ACTUAL stock price for ExxonMobil on Sept 15th 2000. We have found many different prices. Some say around $80 (Yahoo Finance), but Exxon's site shows $44. How do I find the actual closing price and which one is accurate?

You can probably get it from their listing company (Dow Jones???). Often different prices factor in (or don't factor in) splits that may have occurred since that time period. That's most likely what is causing the disparity unless one of them is just completely wrong.

TPS

OP
OP
geauxboy

geauxboy

Boo Boo Bear
Reaction score
Thanks y'all. This is for my gf's taxes this year since she cashed some of it out last year. Which price should we go by? $89 or $44?

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Thanks y'all. This is for my gf's taxes this year since she cashed some of it out last year. Which price should we go by? $89 or $44?

If she got the shares from the split then $44. If she bought in after the split then $89. I think.

Edit: that makes no sense.

$44 because if she bought in before the split then she got double shares and the value would be the same. If she bought in after the split then price was $44.

Last edited:
OP
OP
geauxboy

geauxboy

Boo Boo Bear
Reaction score
She inherited the stock, therefor neither of us have any idea if it were pre or post split. I'm sure her tax guy can figure it out, it's just that she's itchin for the answer NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dajmno

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The cost basis will be the trading price of the stock the day it was inherited (rather then the date the original shareholder acquired the stock; which does help when it comes to minimizing your capital gains tax).

In order to calculate the accurate capital gains, you'll use the adjusted split price.

OP
OP
geauxboy

geauxboy

Boo Boo Bear
Reaction score
Ah! Thanks, I think.

According to her, the $44 price is gonna cost her big, but the $89 wouldn't have. Now, I don't know what the hell is going on and which will cost her, but that's what she's thinking right now.

dajmno

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Based on XOM's performance since September 2000, the sale of the stock last year resulted in a realized capital gain; split or no split.

Had the stock never split, your cost basis would be $89, but the stock would also be trading at around $174. The percentage of your gain is the same, regardless. Using the $89 cost basis with a sale at the split adjusted price, would result in a capital loss, which isn't correct.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom