How To: Get the Saints back to the SB in (1) offseason (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hello again all. I have returned with another roster projection for the 2013-2014 season. If you like long winded thoughtful post then You have come to the right place.

Im going to break right into this so Lets get Started

A. Fire Spags - Accomplished:worthy:

B. Hire Todd Grantham
+ Preaches Fundamentals
+ Fits talent to system
+ Has NFL experience
+ Good gameplanner
+ Aggressive
+ Has experience with the read option
+ has shutoutability ( Chip kelly coined it)

C. Evaluate the defense
-worst defensive performance in Paytons Tenure
-Tackling is an issue
-cannot produce a pass rush(more on this later)
-hybrid players/scheme versatility
-lack of team speed (especially@ the LB position)
-has not been good against the run in Paytons Tenure
-Need to get bigger/more physical @ Corner. WR's in division are big.
-Need someone to provide inside pressure.

D. Identify Building Blocks (notice the young talent on every level of D)
+Malcolm Jenkins CB
+-Patrick Robinson CB
+-Akiem Hicks DE
+Curtis Lofton MLB
++Camron Jordan DE
+Isa Abdul Quddus FS/SS
+Junior Gallette DE/OLB
+Martez Wilson MLB

E. Identify Possibe Cap Casualties.

-Smith- Release Free Up money
-Jonathan Vilma - Release Doesn't fit scheme. Free up money
-Sed Ellis- Walks
-Roman Harper- Release Free Up money
-David Hawthorne- Release Free Up money
-Broderick Bunkley - Sticks. No nonsense guy who is capable of playing the nose. Will be kept fresh/effective by having a second Nose Tackle to rotate with.
-Devery Henderson - Walks
-Jabari Greer - Restructure can move to the Nickel
-Bushrood - Walks. Charles Brown is a FA after this season. Its a must that we see what we have so we can know if we need to resign him or not. Having gone to another ProBowl Bushrods asking price went up and i doubt Mickey takes the bait. We will sign a lesser FA to push Brown and keep kicking.
-Resign Chase Daniels
-Shanle Walks
-Casillas Walks
-Tag Brian De La Puente with the highest tender and keep kickin.
-Will Herring - Cut
- Turk McBride - Walks

After a few restructures and nixing of some veterans we are left with a considerable amount of money. We use it to resign Jimmy Graham so we don't have to deal with a holdout. We may also have to extend guys like Malcolm Jenkins, Junya G, De La Puene

F. Trade

Ivory. We tag Ivory with a 1st rounder to ward away unwanted suitors (Falcons). Not knowing if we will get our 2nd rounder back we then trade him to the Dolphins for the Colts 2nd Round Pick. We've done business with them many times b4. Mainly because we don't play them often so our trades don't usually come back to hurt us too often.

G. Free Agency

After restucturing and releasing guys to free up cap space we decide to play it safe in free agency this year. We make a few signings for depth reasons but stay away from any big signings. We decided this is the year we start building thru the draft because on the surface its a deep one.

Paris Lenon MLB- Played in this style of 3-4 in Arizona. Solid veteran presence and can backup Loftons position.

Erik Waldon - OLB - 3rd down rusher. With the emergence of desmond moses Waldon becomes expendable. He finds his way to our team where he can be used to relieve/push Gallete. Similar role to what he played in Greenbay.

Kedrick Gholston DE - Comes in with knowlege of the 3-4 and gives us a solid backup. We don't have to worry about can he make the transition to the scheme (Tom Johnson, Tyrunn Walker) Can back up both end spots while we see what we have with the above gentlemen.

Winston Justice LT - In and out of the lineup with the colts but is a solid blocker when healthy. Will be brought in @ decent price as he will be on the second tier of Tackles signed in FA and will serve as an insurance policy to Charles Brown as well as push him for the starting spot.

H. The Draft

Reworked and rethought. Addressing every need possible and with good reason. Im going to assume this time around that we will indeed have our 2nd round pick back. Goodell said that if the team did what it was told to do then it would be returned. Benson kept his mouth shut and managment did nothing to NOT get out 2nd rounder back. Everyone complied without a
single peep.

Im expecting Alex Okafur to slide in the draft because of other pass rushers with more potential being available. This proves well for us. We can trade back with the St Louis Rams for an extra 3rd rounder and a future 2nd rounder(sticking to building thru draft)

Round 1 - Alex Okafur DE Texas - 6'4 260

Comes in and immediately holds down the LOLB. Will serve as a bookend for Junyah. Not the best athlete but hes polished and can own RT's with his speed rush alone right from the Very start. U guys called for someone who can come in and make an impact. This is the guy

Alex Okafor 2012 Senior Highlights - YouTube

Round 2(a) - Christine Michael RB Texas A&M 5'10 220

He replaces the departed Chris Ivory. More of a complete runner than ivory as he can passblock. Reminds me of Deuce a little bit. He changes direction well, is elusive, and has top end speed. With that being said...hes a power back. If Ingram doesn't step up next year. This guy will be the insurance policy.

Ultimate Christine Michael Texas A&M Highlights - YouTube

Round 2(b) - Robert Alford Southeast La 5'10 186 CB/KR

He goes this high because of his ability to return kicks and potential be a shutdown corner. He doesn't have to come in and start immediately but could push for the Nickel spot. At worst he ends up being our 4th CB and provides tremendous depth. Provides competition and if Pat Robinson doesn't step up we have a replacement already on the roster.

#13 Robert Alford, 5-11, 188, CB, Southeastern Louisiana Highlights 2012 (some 2011) - YouTube

Round 3(a) Brandon Williams - Missouri Southern 6'2 241 NT

We are going to need another NT to pair with Bunkley. We we interviewed him@ the senior bowl so it makes a little sense. Stout guy that can 2gap but also has a little pass rush about him.

http://youtu.be/WGSMeSZXQdM

Round 3(b) Bacarri Rambo - Georgia FS/SS 6'1 215

He was in charge of getting the D lined up for at least 2 years in this system. We need a ballhawk in the secondary and he comes in with knowledge of the system. Has soft hands for the Int. Generally takes good angles and is also known for stripping the ball. Should start day 1.

http://youtu.be/9nUk0pfieLg

Round 4 Tavarres King - Georgia 6'0 192 WR

We were seen chatting with this guy@ the Senior Bowl. Hes got the size we like out of our burners and we have an inside track on him since Grantham saw him in practice for a few years.

Round 5 Nick Kasa - Colorado 6'6 272 TE

Former DE. Brings Toughness to the offense. He can play special teams and develop for a year under David Thomas. Is already pretty good @ blocking. They got Gronk...we got Kasa.

Round 6 Denard Robinson - Michigan 6'0 196 QB/WR

Surprise Surprise. We need this guy on our scout team. He will go a long way to helping us understand how to stop the read option. Could also implement some packages for him to keep defenses off balance. Makes sense right>>>

Heck of a Draft Right? Now lets piece this all together.

QB - Brees/ Daniels/Robinson
RB - Ingram/ Sproles/Thomas/Michael
WR- Colston/Moore/ Morgan/Toon/King/ Cadet
TE - Graham/Thomas/Kasa
LT - Brown/Justice/William Robinson
LG - Ben Grubbs/Andrew Tiller
C - Brian De La Puente
RG - Jahri Evans/Andrew Tiller
RT- Zach Strief/Marcel Jones

RDE Akiem Hicks/Kedrick Gholton
NT Broderick Bunkley/Brandon Williams
LDE Cameron Jordan/Kedrick Gholston/Tyrunn Walker

ROLB - Junya G/Eric Walden/Greg Romeus
WILB - Martez Wilson/Chris Chamberlain
SILB - Curtis Lofton/Paris Lenon
LOLB - Alex Okafor/Erik Walden/Braylon Broughton

CB(Field) Patrick Robinson/Jabari Greer/Robert Alford
CB(Boundary) Malcolm Jenkins/Johnny Patrick
FS Isa Abdul Quddus/Malcolm Jenkins/Rafael Bush
SS Bacarri Rambo/Rafael Bush

Junyah has a breakout year. I think we ask him to drop weight and he becomes a MONSTER@ olb. Just incase we forgot here is some of Gallettes college tape.

http://youtu.be/tK_Vpfd-KDs

Quite the athlete isn't he??

Malcolm is moved back to CB. He gives us that size@ boundary corner that can come up and stop the run. Having Quddus over the top makes me feel better about this move.

Martez gets moved back to MLB. He is one of the most sure tacklers we have on the team. Some of his best attributes go to waste when hes rushing the passer full time. Sideline to sideline persuit, tackling ability, speed, terrific A gap blitzer, can patrol short middle zones/clog up passing lanes with his height, and be one hell of a QB spy (hello Cam Newton)

Sean takes everyone to Millsaps and we get this team back cooking. SB or bust.

Critique and enjoy

Can imagine if cut Hawthorne after 1 year in a 5 year deal, that it would be big cap hit.

New Orleans Saints - NFL Team Contracts - Rotoworld.com

These what the player contracts look like and what i used to make some decisions (like letting bushrod walk/cutting hawthorne)

Hawthorne gets a 3mil roster bonus. He is probably in that 3 day window after the SB i think where we can cut players? Candidate for cut IMHO

Is this the idea I gave you? Lol.

Reading btw....

Yeah Getting a player who can come in and contribute right away in Okafor. Took ur thoughts on Ansah into consideration and figured id use it to our advantage. I think Okafor slides a bit.

Took some advice on Tez as well. Having his speed to cover up Junyah on the weakside is a plus. He can still be sent on A gap blitzes and rack up maybe 5-6 a year.

I will do deeper thoughts on the depth charts but ive been working on this for a few hours now and my neck is KILLING ME. Damn laptop had me posting early and deleting stuff on accident. So ill update it@ work tomorrow.

We would never ever ever get a 2nd rounder for Ivory.

I think Miami could afford to give it up because its a late 2nd rounder/so its more like a borderline 3rd. They aren't particularly deep@ RB and definitely have some questions if they don't Resign Reggie. IF they do they need another back on the roster. Weve done business with them b4 so for me it was a logical decision but i understand it may be a bit of a stretch.

Hawthorne and Lofton will be thumoers in the middle and Wilson will be an OLB pass rusher alongside Galette. I don't see use letting Ivory go just to use a second round pick on a running back....to be fourth on the running back depth chart?....I like the nose tackle pick...I think that guy is a sleeper...I don't see Denard Robinson being a good luck I think that goes to a player we can develop on defense because we are transitioning to a new 3-4 scheme we will need those late picks to fill out the roster with players who fit the mold.

1st rounder for Ziggy Ansah, been watching highlights I this kid and I'm loving what I see the kid is fast and has a nonstop motor.

1. We'll never get a 2nd for Ivory

2. Releasing Hawthorne isn't going to(or shouldn't) happen. Him and Lofton would be good at the ILB spots in the 3-4.

3. I hate this draft. Alex Okafor is much better off playing 4-3 DE. And why trade Ivory just to draft a RB with the second pick? Even if we did trade Ivory, we're okay with the other four(Sproles, Thomas, Ingram and Cadet). With the third pick you have us taking another undersized corner, but you said we needed to get bigger. I don't like any of your draft other than us getting Rambo.

All in all, I really hope the offseason doesn't go like this.

Chris Chamberlain was Spagnoulo's 4-3 guy from St. Louis. So I doubt he fits into the new defense.

Chris Chamberlain was Spagnoulo's 4-3 guy from St. Louis. So I doubt he fits into the new defense.

hes a special teamer@this point and i don't know if he follows spags cuz i don't know that spags gets hired so we keep him. He has enough speed and can add weight to his frame. He can get up to about 242 and backup either ILB spot. Paris Lenon will be there to help tutor the ILB and provide depth.

Hawthorne and Lofton will be thumoers in the middle and Wilson will be an OLB pass rusher alongside Galette. I don't see use letting Ivory go just to use a second round pick on a running back....to be fourth on the running back depth chart?....I like the nose tackle pick...I think that guy is a sleeper...I don't see Denard Robinson being a good luck I think that goes to a player we can develop on defense because we are transitioning to a new 3-4 scheme we will need those late picks to fill out the roster with players who fit the mold.

Also admit that Im taking a big gamble on Moving tez to WILB and cutting Hawthorne. However i think players like playing for us because we give them nice money up front and then pay them based on performance.

Lofton earned his contract. If u look@ his #'s he probably reached whatever escalators. Hes a keeper.

Hawthorne on the other hand did nothing to warrant making 4 mil nxt year. He didn't prove he could take on blockers as he disappeared@the SLB position. I understand the injury excuse but good players flash no matter where they play and i don't think he did anything to deserver 4mil.

I think Tez is a better option for taking on guards with his long arms. I like his sideline to sideline range but I don't think hell ever develope as a full time passrusher. I feel as though he can shoot gaps and come on stunts and use his bullrush to take guys by surprise. However i don't see him being even a 8-9 sack kind of guy on the outside. Yet i can see him being a 95 tckles with 5sks and 2int's kind guy from the inside. IF he proves me wrong @ OLB ill be happy.

With that being said. I can see Hawthorne staying and Tez beingi used as a LOLB. Still would take the draft as is. Okafor could come in and be a 3rd down rusher. Still would take the same FA

I defend the Denard Robinson pick because Payton has hinted that we've been drafting and gathering for a shift in philosophy so we have some players on deck. So i don't know about it having to be a developmental prospect on defense. I ask you who do we have on our scout team that can run the Read Option??

Its all about getting better and getting good looks for your defense too. Denard Robinson could do that@ best. This is just another piece to the puzzle of adapting to this New NFL and he will help Payton get a real good understanding of the offense.

I admit the Ivory trade is a bit of a reach but being that its a late 2nd and they already have a second it wouldn't hurt. If we keep Ivory hes going to be nothing more than 4th on the depth chart anyway. There is a reason Ingram saw more touches and more looks in the pass game and more looks on 3rd down. Hes the back the saints traded up for. Ivory is/was disgruntled and trading him is an option. Christine is a better pass blocker than Ivory will ever be. He would be insurance just incase Ingram doesn't become the bellcow back and incase of an injury to any of the backs. He is a complete back and can do what everyone except maybe sproles does. We still have cadet for that but he practices with the WR so i have him as a WR/KR/RB

How many times do we have to go over the fact that releasing Harper isn't even an option? The cap hit would be unreal.

How many times do we have to go over the fact that releasing Harper isn't even an option? The cap hit would be unreal.

Ahh ok well then Im not against keeping him.

Id still take Rambo for Depth. Hell come in and be humbled by playing ST's first for a year and could server as a backup to both FS/SS

We would never ever ever get a 2nd rounder for Ivory.

What about an early 3rd....Jacksonville maybe?

Im thinking Michael doesn't get past the packers in the 2nd round. If he does the first team to need an RB is the Jaguars @ 2....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom