How to Improve the Defense: Offseason (1 Viewer)

We won't have the cash to sign Edwards and Clements and Thomas and Grant. All will want big contracts. Edwards is the one I wouldn't worry with. Draft a MLB.

Thomas won't be as expensive as some people seem to think. He's more valuable to us then he is to anyone else, i'm confident we get him at a reasonable price. Clements and Grant will cost within the top 5 of their respective positions though. Yeah. On the plus side though we should have the cash for it. Just not much else.

Edwards, no. He wants one more payday and at 34 that's ridiculous.

"Re-signed for four years, $14 million on 3/4/2004. The deal included a $5 million signing bonus. Thomas is due base salaries of, for 2006: $1,900,000, and 2007: $2,000,000. He can be an unrestricted free agent in 2008. "

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1021

If anything, Thomas is overpaid, not to mention he won't be a free agent until 2008, at which time he'll probably retire.

Their talking about Hollis Thomas, not Fred Thomas

I know, I"ve just got Fred Thomas on my mind. These are Hollis" contract numbers:

2006: $670,000, 2007: Free Agent

(also from rotoworld)

I really don't think he's going to break the bank, though at 32 this is likely the last contract he'll sign.

Okay so i am a little nervous that Charles Grant will want big money, while i kno he will get big money i am unsure if it will be us that gives it to him, and i think he will be OVERPAID, so i say let him walk(i own a grant jersey and he is my favorite defender)

So Here Is My wish list

RE. Ninconvick
NT H.Thomas
LE W.Smith
ROLB Fujita
MLB D.Edwards
MLB P.Willis
LOLB S.Shanle
CB Nate Clements
CB Asante Samuel
FS Roman Harper
SS Mike Mckenzie

Okay so we have 3-4 Lineup, Lost Grant because we had to sign 2 new cb and d.edwards, Move Mckenzie To Strong(i kno we have bullocks let him be the primary backup saftey, and fred thomas is nickle, Drraft a end in the 3rd round to back up Ninckonvick, Get a WR in the 2nd(Dwayne Jarret)....its good to dream.

and if we resign grant move will smith to LOLB

Okay so i am a little nervous that Charles Grant will want big money, while i kno he will get big money i am unsure if it will be us that gives it to him, and i think he will be OVERPAID, so i say let him walk(i own a grant jersey and he is my favorite defender)

So Here Is My wish list

RE. Ninconvick
NT H.Thomas
LE W.Smith
ROLB Fujita
MLB D.Edwards
MLB P.Willis
LOLB S.Shanle
CB Nate Clements
CB Asante Samuel
FS Roman Harper
SS Mike Mckenzie

Okay so we have 3-4 Lineup, Lost Grant because we had to sign 2 new cb and d.edwards, Move Mckenzie To Strong(i kno we have bullocks let him be the primary backup saftey, and fred thomas is nickle, Drraft a end in the 3rd round to back up Ninckonvick, Get a WR in the 2nd(Dwayne Jarret)....its good to dream.

and if we resign grant move will smith to LOLB

How do you run an effective 3-4 with a 250lb DE and a 270lb DE and no rushing linebackers? Not gonna happen. We are built for a 4-3, I wish people would give up on the 3-4.

LDE: Charles Grant
NT: Hollis Thomas
DT: Bryan Young
RDE: Will Smith
SLB: Scott Fujita
MLB: Donnie Edwards or draft Patrick Willis
WLB: Scott Shanle
LCB: Nate Clements
RCB: Mike McKenzie or Asante Samuel
SS: Roman Harper
FS: Josh Bullocks

Last edited:
Yep. Draft Willis, and say no to Edwards unless he's willing to sign for cheap. Build for the future in the draft; Donnie Edwards is not our future. Also, CB must be addressed on the first day, preferably one over 6' tall that can catch a pass drilled into his breadbasket.

Getting close to Christmas wishlist time:)

1. i agree with drafting Willis in the first round hes a perfect fit

2. I FOUND THAT CORNER! his name is Aaron Ross out of Texas hes 6-1 catches like a WR and makes big plays when needed look at the Nebraska game Kipper has him going during the first day possibly in the second

How do you run an effective 3-4 with a 250lb DE and a 270lb DE and no rushing linebackers? Not gonna happen. We are built for a 4-3, I wish people would give up on the 3-4.

LDE: Charles Grant
NT: Hollis Thomas
DT: Bryan Young
RDE: Will Smith
SLB: Scott Fujita
MLB: Donnie Edwards or draft Patrick Willis
LCB: Nate Clements
RCB: Mike McKenzie or Asante Samuel
SS: Roman Harper
FS: Josh Bullocks

How do you run an effective 4-3 with only 2 linebackers??:scratch:

Just givin' you a hard time, I was thinking the same thing about the personnel for the 3-4. Who would you like to see at WLB?

Never. well then draft some big ends, or sign some big ends(have the money by letting grant go and also the salary cap goes up), just gets some big ends in there, move will smith to the will LB, and lets get the 3-4 Popping, we wil have improved linebacker player via Willis and DE(donnie edwards)

next year gibbs will be given a chance to implement his personel
even if they dont who cares i am in novermber dreaming a dynasty

Last edited:
How do you run an effective 4-3 with only 2 linebackers??:scratch:

Just givin' you a hard time, I was thinking the same thing about the personnel for the 3-4. Who would you like to see at WLB?

Sorry just forgot to put it in. I think Shanle has done a very good job this year. I expect both him and Fujita to be with the team next year, starting again. The only big change I expect from this defense is a little playmaking ability at MLBer and a couple new CB's. Heck, I wouldn't mind them signing both Nate Clements and Asante Samuel (God knows we need some good CB's) and drafting a 1st day CB also. We definitly need some new life in our defensive backfield (other than safety).

Resigning Charles Grant and Hollis Thomas is very important; these guys are solid starters almost anywhere in the league and you can't say that about many of our guys on defense.

In free agency, you can't just target one high priced free agent and call that a plan. There will be many, many suitors for Nate Clements and he can't sign with the 25+ different teams that have cornerback problems.

I'd like to get 1 good starter and 1 solid starter through FA. I would hope to get a couple of players who could come in an contribute immediately. My FA wishlist is as follows(not an ordered list):

Lance Briggs, UFA, Chicago Bears
Adalius Thomas, UFA, Baltimore Ravens
London Fletcher, UFA, Buffalo Bills
Asante Samuel, UFA, New England Patriots
Nate Clements, UFA, Buffalo Bills
Trevor Pryce, UFA, Baltimore Ravens
Donnie Edwards......

In the draft, I would take best player available among your FSs, CBs, LBs, and DTs (preferably from the SEC, Big 10, or Big 12)

Last edited:
Yep. Draft Willis, and say no to Edwards unless he's willing to sign for cheap. Build for the future in the draft; Donnie Edwards is not our future. Also, CB must be addressed on the first day, preferably one over 6' tall that can catch a pass drilled into his breadbasket.

Getting close to Christmas wishlist time:)

At his age, Edwards is going to get a one- or two-year contract, maximum. He's going to get a bonus of a very low-to-medium size and get a min contract beyond that.

He's not going to cost the house.

For references, see most of the contracts done for "highly vested" veterans these days.

You must've missed the part when someone pointed out how he WANTS one more big payday.

Meaning a fairly long contract.

With more money.

Involved.

I see a lot of people wanting Willis, but wouldn't he be gone before the 32nd pick?;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom