How to know you are old............ (1 Viewer)

hammernnails

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was just on youtube looking at all the "great vintage" videos of the 80's ..and I realized that I am my father in 1977.... his favorite song was the house of the rising sun ... I remember him thinking that it was still cool .. and though I liked it ..I could tell that it was really outdated....

well to make a long story short... today I showed my son a video from the early 80's... Hunger Strike ... he said it was "cool" but that it was "old".... I imediatatly thought back to that same conversation I had with my dad 20 years ago..... !! WOW TIME FLIES!!! I feel bad because I cant get into most of the "new" music... the last cool group to come along was Korn or Dave Mathews or Pat Green....... Its become a truth to me that "your" generation dictates the music you consider "good".... I hate admiting that I have gotten old.... but ........

Sabine

Thicketeer - Bottomite
Reaction score
Same here, but I can't keep my kids away from my CDs.

Oye

carry all the groceries in in one trip
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was just on youtube looking at all the "great vintage" videos of the 80's ..and I realized that I am my father in 1977.... his favorite song was the house of the rising sun ... I remember him thinking that it was still cool .. and though I liked it ..I could tell that it was really outdated....

well, in all fairness, "House of the Rising Sun" would be an old song to your dad, too - it's been around for 100 years or more. Some musical historians date it further back to like the 1700s or something. I don't know all of the details - my guitar teacher just told me a bit about it a couple of weeks ago as I learned the song.

In any event, it's much much older than I initially thought it was.

tenordas

Vesti le procè flamber
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Houston via New Jersey, New Orleans, Baton Rouge,
well, in all fairness, "House of the Rising Sun" would be an old song to your dad, too - it's been around for 100 years or more. Some musical historians date it further back to like the 1700s or something. I don't know all of the details - my guitar teacher just told me a bit about it a couple of weeks ago as I learned the song.

In any event, it's much much older than I initially thought it was.

In all fairness, unless you're a musician or a music historian, most people don't actually know that. I'm always surprised when someone who isn't in the field knows the history of a song (because rarely do I meet anyone who does). When one mentions "House of the Rising Sun" to people, especially those of the 60s and 70s generation, they generally think of Eric Burdon & the Animals much like people think of "When the Saints Go Marchin' In" as a Louis Armstrong song. While we all know it's a Negro Spiritual from the 1800s (at least), most people don't think of it that way.

EDIT:

I can't help but be slightly amused at how a 16 to 18 year old song is considered "old". I'm an opera singer so everything I perform is at least 50 years old, and the vast majority of the literature is well over 100 years old. As Stravinsky said, good music is good music no matter what you call it (he was answering a question about the 'validity' of jazz when he said that) and what is good lasts, what is bad is forgotten.

Last edited:

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes it goes the other way. My wife and I were walking on the boardwalk in Bethany Beach, De. a couple years ago and these kids dressed in skater attire were passing around an ipod saying, "Listen to this!!" The CD? AC/DC's "Back in Black." I said "Yeah, it was cool 25 years ago too!"

HouDat

Banned
Reaction score
Think that's bad--try getting the kids into...Priest.

The fine art of kicking ***:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JAagedeKdcQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JAagedeKdcQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Doobsdemons

No White Flags
Reaction score
The fine art of kicking ***:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JAagedeKdcQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JAagedeKdcQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Best song by Priest by far

1a. Victim of Changes

'79 Saints

Reaction score
Sometimes it goes the other way. My wife and I were walking on the boardwalk in Bethany Beach, De. a couple years ago and these kids dressed in skater attire were passing around an ipod saying, "Listen to this!!" The CD? AC/DC's "Back in Black." I said "Yeah, it was cool 25 years ago too!"

About a decade ago, I had to explain to some sports fans that "We Will Rock You" and "Rock And Roll Part 2" were both very old songs (when CDs like "Jock Rock" were in vouge).

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You know you're getting older when your favorite bands are now appearing at the local amusement park.

Joe

MSUSousaphone

Owning the CONCACAF
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We played a tribute to Queen last year....and out of all of my Freshmen (about 36), only two had heard 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. :twak:

fish321

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
My cd case has zeppelin, ac/dc, pat green, a little dave matthews, and Im only 26. Actually Pat Green is probably the newest thing I own, scratch that Ive got some of U2s newer stuff. I would say that 95% of the people my age couldnt name one song by any of those bands. I turned on "whipping post" by the Alman brothers the other day and my friends looked at me like I was nuts

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom