How upset you think Brees was being yanked on 2nd and 3 only to watch Taysom fumble the ball away? (1 Viewer)

I would have been. Just a bad bad call
all around by Sean Payton.

Had 2, more than capable, running backs (who were both successfully running the ball against the GB defense) to give the ball to on a 2nd and 3. Why get "cutesie"?

I had no problem with the play call... the problem was Taysom made a horrible read. If he had read the DE correctly he would have let Latavius keep the ball. When the DE didn't crash down on Latavius that was Taysom's queue to let him keep it... and he had a nice lane to run had Latavius kept it.

But taysom made a horrible read and it resulted in the fumble. I can't kill Payton for the playcall you have to execute the play.

My wife saw Kamara lined up wide on that 3rd down and said "Are they about to run a bubble screen to Kamara?". My wife is about as football knowledgeable as my 12 year old daughter and she called it soon as she saw it. We are predictable because we don't run the ball. We don't set up the pass with the run. We just interrupt good drives by completely abandoning the run is situations that would benefit a running team.

It's a very simple playcall and one that we've been successful with. Taysom misread the defensive end and played it poorly. He should give that ball to Murray 10 out of 10 times with the defensive end staying home. Let's not act like it was a trick play. Players have to execute.

All the momentum in the world.

Drew was most likely going to throw his 4th TD pass on that drive and probably end up leading us to victory (Notwithstanding Dennis Allen).

We'll never know if he was truly upset by the decision. Drew is the ultimate team player.
More like fumble the game away. Our defense wasn't going to stop Roger's so I knew it was gonna be another one of those "who has the ball last" games.

Drew has nothing to be upset about given his performance this year. All he has is dink and dunk, that arm is toast. The Payton/Brees era is over.

I wonder how upset Taysom was earlier this year in a playoff game after he got the Saints in scoring position to potentially win the game only for Brees to fumble the ball the very next play?

Stuff happens. Defense held GB to a FG and the offense got the ball right back and did nothing with it. It is what it is.

Tough loss.

You are right. Rarely it is one player who is responsible for winning or losing the game. Taysom does not have a history with fumbling. It was a poorly executed play, for sure. But saying that Taysom lost the game, as some pundits have suggested out in the interwebs is as ludicrous as blaming Taysom for 2 Jenkins pass interference calls in the end zone.

I have never seen Brees pull the ball down or hold it for as long as I have this season. It's almost like he has a confidence issue, like the "your washed up" crowd has gotten to him. Add that to the other problems that we have as a team: 110 yds of penalties per game and our pass defense ... ugh.

I agree that the play calling has been suspect as well. Trying to be too cute. My wife has said for the past two weeks, "why don't they keep running the ball?" Does Brees have a clause in his contract for number of throws per game?

Bottomline, this is a team game and blaming one guy for a loss doesn't make sense.

Taysom should have given the ball up there. Period. If he does, its a first down. This is part of our offense and has been for years. So please everyone stop with the talk of pulling Brees off the field. Its the first time I think I have seen Taysom fumble the ball (could be wrong though).

That swung the momentum of the game. Drew was getting in a rhythm.

Felt like the true swing was the 3 in out after we held them to a FG. That is the drive that actually ended the game.

Taysom should have given the ball up there. Period. If he does, its a first down. This is part of our offense and has been for years. So please everyone stop with the talk of pulling Brees off the field. Its the first time I think I have seen Taysom fumble the ball (could be wrong though).

Look at Josh Hill, who's playing full back in the video. If he makes the block, Taysom easily gets the first down and much more, maybe even 6. But Josh doesn't even try to touch the guy for some reason.

This fumble is 99% Josh Hill's fault, 1% on Taysom. It wasn't even a bad playcall on second down. If one guy doesn't do their job, bad things happen. Josh Hill didn't do his job here, period.

Look at Josh Hill, who's playing full back in the video. If he makes the block, Taysom easily gets the first down and much more, maybe even 6. But Josh doesn't even try to touch the guy for some reason.

This fumble is 99% Josh Hill's fault, 1% on Taysom. It wasn't even a bad playcall on second down. If one guy doesn't do their job, bad things happen. Josh Hill didn't do his job here, period.

wow, he didn’t even chip him.

Unfortunately, you're 100% wrong.

The defensive end is supposed to be unblocked by the design of that play. That's the whole design of the read-option; it theoretically takes one defender out of the play completely if you read it properly. If the end crashes down on the HB, QB keeps. If the end stays home and plays the QB, keep it in the halfbacks belly. Pause that clip at :03 and you'll become sick to your stomach realizing that if he gives it to Murray he's running for at least 20+, and maybe even a touchdown. The design and execution of the play was beautiful by everyone, with the exception of Hill who missed a very simple read.

And to be fair, #55 played it beautifully. He gave a move to indicate he was going after Murray before gunning straight to Taysom.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom